“TERRIBLE, AVOID AT ALL COSTS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 Ivy Creek Boulevard, Durham, NC 27707 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“TERRIBLE, AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!
I am reviewing this as I sit in my hotel room. My work booked this hotel for me during work-related travel and it is the worst thing I've ever encountered! When I arrived, I stood in line to check in for over 25 minutes. There was one person ahead of me (who had ALREADY started the check in process before I arrived) and one person behind me!

When I got into the room, it looked "clean" before I walked around, then I noticed several things awry. The door wouldn't deadbolt, the mirror is cracked, the iron is missing. The bathroom is dusty and you can see the cleaner residue from where the bathtub was scrubbed (at least it is clean) maybe weeks ago. There are no amenities in the bathroom like the website said there was. There were also several sets of orange and black fingerprints on the door! I'm not a neat freak. I am not OCD, so for me to notice these things means that they were very obvious.

Don't even get me started on the OrderInn service! SKIP IT! Minimum $15.00 for delivery + tax +$2.00 "Packing Fee" and tip. I asked the "representative" if I could give the driver a tip in cash. He said that for security purposes they like to have the tip charged to the card so that drivers don't walk around with cash on them all night. So I left the tip on the card. When the driver got here AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER, he gave me my food (my order was 85% incorrect, by the way) he asked if there was a tip, I told him that I left it on the card and he said he had no idea and didn't see it on his slip. Concerned that he might not get his tip I gave him cash just in case. So when I returned to my room, I found my order to be nearly completely incorrect, smushed to the sides of the boxes and missing any kind of silverware.

This was HORRIBLE. I thought I'd save time by ordering in and I was tired. But I ended up spending more money and eating very little. I should've just gone to the grocery store across the way.

SAVE YOURSELF, DON'T STAY HERE or use OrderInn service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rachael P, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, November 15, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

It is my pleasure to provide you with an explanation regarding your concern about our amenities. Our company is known for providing great rooms at great rates, without some of the fluff that you find at other hotels. Items like ""complimentary"" shampoos and conditioners are not really complimentary; you do wind up paying for it in the nightly rate. Although we don't place extra amenities into a guest room prior to check-in, we do have a limited supply of sundries available upon request at the front desk. We operate this way because it lets us continue to provide our guests with quality accommodations at an exceptional price. I do regret that we were not able to communicate to you exactly what you could expect before you arrived.

I will also communicate to the "Order Inn" company on your experiences while utilizing them, so that they will be able to provide better service in the future.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area."

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Staten Island, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I cant ever imagine this place getting a bad review. For what you get for the price, you cant beat it. Our room is very clean ( we are still here, im a duke patient), everything was clean. I think this hotel is beautiful and comes with a great little kitchen, nice size fridge, utensils and cooking supplies too and also a microwave. This saves a lot of money. The staff is very nice too. If you want room service and luxurious amenities, this is not the place for you and it would cost you much much more money.

Room Tip: I cant ever imagine this place getting a bad review. For what you get for the price, you cant beat i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, August 18, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Durham - University. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I had to stay at the Homstead suites for an extended period of time. I was nervous because I read bad reviews of the place; however, I enjoyed my stay there. The rooms were rather small, but comfortable for just one person. The beds are very comfortable and I felt safe while staying there. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was quiet the entire time I was there. The housekeepers are not the best at restocking/ cleaning your room, but it is such a cheap place to stay that I didn't care about the service. Kroger is right down the street and they offer you a free shuttle service to both Duke and UNC. If you are looking for a nice, convenient place to stay that is good for your money, definitely stay here. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
roadwarriornc, Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, August 18, 2012
"It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Durham - University. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Nice place very quiet and close to shopping. Great staff

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hi Ken,

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Durham - University. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was mortified , this place is not even substandard, the room was absolutely deplorable! The shower was gray and grout in the tiles, there were hairs in the sink, the room smelled of smoke and there were holes in the bedspread from cigarette burns in our "non smoking room" the staff was non chalant with the exception of Marcus who was very accomodating but there was too much wrong to to correct without complete rennovations, place needs a wrecking crew and a makeover!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
I recently received a copy of your review of your stray. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future. Thank you again.
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

The room is dusty the table was never cleaned, the chair next to the bed is filthy the chairs around the table as well as the stove are dirty and I mean dirty. The rug was never vaccuumed because there is change laying around. I was afraid to touch the faucet in the bathroom, not sure if it was dirty or if it needed to be replaced yuck!!!!! I wouldn't stay here again if they gave me the room for free. Anyone who would rate this place anything but a one lives in a nasty home or unfortunately has no home and needs to stay warm. I only rated it a 1 becauser there is not a lower rating. By the way I have been itchy all night and cannot sleep at all. The only reason I don't go sleep in the car is because we are with other people and I don't want to seem snooty. I'm warning you don't stay because you get charged for 2 nights if you decide to leave early.

• Stayed May 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was in the Durham, NC visiting Duke Medical facilities and found this place, which was in my Duke's suggestion guide to the area. It was clean, comfortable, easy to find, and very efficient in meeting my needs for a place to stay.

As I stayed in the same location for a month, I noted that the Homestead Durham was tucked away quietly on the low side of a hill with a thick forest dividing it from the nearby streets. I liked that it was adjacent to a row of useful stores (CVS, Starbucks, Harris Teeter) as well as to a small corporate park and the local Durham police offices for the area (very safe).

While I found my comfortable second story apartment to be quiet and efficient, I have to mention the price was virtually unbeatable. I booked my stay on-line and found the hotel to be 75% full, though it seemed empty. For some, it might be a little different that the maid service only comes once per week, but that was fine with me.

If one wants first class amenities with a royal treatment in Durham, I would suggest staying at the Washington-Duke Hotel, which I dined at twice with friends for superb results. On the contrary, if one wants a simple place to stay without any pretense and an ease in reaching almost anywhere in the Triangle -area, I would choose The Homestead over and over again.

Room Tip: See if your reason for visiting the area has a discount code, like AAA does. The management is very...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.

Address: 1920 Ivy Creek Boulevard, Durham, NC 27707 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)
Location: United States > North Carolina > Durham
Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Extended Stay, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Venere and Otel so you can book your Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Durham University

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.