“The place is DIRTY!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 Ivy Creek Boulevard, Durham, NC 27707 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #51 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Rhode Island
“The place is DIRTY!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

The room is dusty the table was never cleaned, the chair next to the bed is filthy the chairs around the table as well as the stove are dirty and I mean dirty. The rug was never vaccuumed because there is change laying around. I was afraid to touch the faucet in the bathroom, not sure if it was dirty or if it needed to be replaced yuck!!!!! I wouldn't stay here again if they gave me the room for free. Anyone who would rate this place anything but a one lives in a nasty home or unfortunately has no home and needs to stay warm. I only rated it a 1 becauser there is not a lower rating. By the way I have been itchy all night and cannot sleep at all. The only reason I don't go sleep in the car is because we are with other people and I don't want to seem snooty. I'm warning you don't stay because you get charged for 2 nights if you decide to leave early.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was in the Durham, NC visiting Duke Medical facilities and found this place, which was in my Duke's suggestion guide to the area. It was clean, comfortable, easy to find, and very efficient in meeting my needs for a place to stay.

As I stayed in the same location for a month, I noted that the Homestead Durham was tucked away quietly on the low side of a hill with a thick forest dividing it from the nearby streets. I liked that it was adjacent to a row of useful stores (CVS, Starbucks, Harris Teeter) as well as to a small corporate park and the local Durham police offices for the area (very safe).

While I found my comfortable second story apartment to be quiet and efficient, I have to mention the price was virtually unbeatable. I booked my stay on-line and found the hotel to be 75% full, though it seemed empty. For some, it might be a little different that the maid service only comes once per week, but that was fine with me.

If one wants first class amenities with a royal treatment in Durham, I would suggest staying at the Washington-Duke Hotel, which I dined at twice with friends for superb results. On the contrary, if one wants a simple place to stay without any pretense and an ease in reaching almost anywhere in the Triangle -area, I would choose The Homestead over and over again.

Room Tip: See if your reason for visiting the area has a discount code, like AAA does. The management is very...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Wayne, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The people there went out of there way to help us they were all very friendly and very helpful no matter what the question was or how many we hade. They was very concerned with the fact that we was there to go to the Duke hospital and very caring when we had found out that my husband has lung cancer. Also we had left some items there and they was very helpful to go out of there way to see that I got my things back. I was very happy with my stay there and when we have to return to Duke hospital we will be staying there again. I am very greatful for all they have done for us.... Also the rooms was very clean and it was a very peaceful stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed two weeks in this extended-stay hotel in the 2-room configuration. We come here frequently due to its convenient location between Durham and Chapel Hill, just of 15-501, the main road between these two towns. It is 100 yards from a small shopping area which includes a large 24-hour grocery store, Starbucks, several food shops, a pharmacy as well as (a little further away) laundry and a movie 12-plex.

The rooms are well laid out and have generally been quite clean although looking somewhat used. The kitchen is convenient (although we could have a few more items, such as dish soap) and the refrigerator a full-size. We needed extra sheets for the sofa-bed and these were delivered promptly.

The only real drawback was the poor internet connection which consistently failed to work.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Annapolis, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I had a late check-in (9pm) and really should have left before I unloaded my bags.

I reserved a nonsmoking room, but once I filled out all my paperwork, the clerk curtly informs me that I have been assigned a smoking room. No apologies, no concessions. I look at him and ask if the rooms are deodorized. One word: No. Lovely. I ask if I could have free internet (a $4.95 fee) as a courtesy for the change. Again: No.

The room itself is clean, yet smelly. Closer inspection finds a burn hole in the carpet, the bedspread, and the toilet seat. The bed had a threadbare blanket and 2 flat pillows. The phone had no dial tone until I tapped it. The shower water flow was the width of a garden hose; high pressure, but the water came out in the diameter of a quarter. When I returned home, my clothes had the smell of smoke on them.

It was nice to have a kitchenette, but the features were straight from the '80's. Bless the housekeeping staff that has so little to work with...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Has a little kitchenette area with refrigerator, microwave, 2 burners and coffee maker. Although room is cleaned once a week, for an extra charge it is possible to have it cleaned more often. Extra towels and coffee packets are always available at the front office. Staff is very nice and accommodating. There is a laundromat facility. For a small one time fee, have high speed internet. There is no fitness center, but you can ask for a free pass to a fitness facility nearby. Great place to stay for a week or more. Great value!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Relatively clean, though it didn't smell fresh - other than the bathroom which smelled EXTREMELY "bleachy." Weird ant in the shower. Fine for the price though.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.

Address: 1920 Ivy Creek Boulevard, Durham, NC 27707 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)
Location: United States > North Carolina > Durham
Ranked #51 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Extended Stay, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Durham University

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.