“Ok hotel but will never stay here again!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University to your Saves list
Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2306 Elba Street, Durham, NC 27705   |
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Durham
“Ok hotel but will never stay here again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Was the first hotel we stayed in while in the area! We only stayed 1 night & will not stay here again! The bed was not very comfortable & the cleanliness could have been better! Most of the staff was friendly but took forever to check in! They did have complementary cookies during the afternoon! The best part is they offer a medical rate to patients & families who are in the hospital or have Dr appointments & the hotel is within walking distance to Duke University Medical Center!

• Stayed May 2012
BrookwoodInn, Manager at Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Serta supplies our bedding and we are currently using their Diamond Suite Plush line. We realize that each individual has specific preferences so feel free to call us if you need details on a particular item at our hotel.
As always thank you for sharing you experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Fairfax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Brookwood Inn in Durham. The hotel staff was fantastic and the room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was just a few minutes away from the Duke Lemur Center where I had scheudled a visit for the day and Honey's diner is within minutes of the hotel and they have a great breakfast menu. I was very pleased with the entire trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here overnight on a business trip to the Durham VAMC. I was a bit worried, as it is not a known chain business; however, the room was clean, spacing more than adequate, no issues with the bathroom, the bed was comfortable and the staff was professional. It is easily accessible to the area hospitals and a plethora of restaurants are within walking distance...with the option of taking the free shuttle. It is not a vacation spot, but I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area for business or personal matters and I will be sure to stay there on my next trip in a few months.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my fourth stay here and I will be returning in July. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean and spacious and the location is perfect for visiting Duke Medical Center. The breakfast in the Dinning Room in the lobby was excellent. The shuttle was on time and had us at the entrance to the medical center in five minutes. The driver is courteous and helpful at directing you where to go in the hospital which is immensely helpful for a first visit. The lighting in the room was somewhat lacking due to no overhead light. The staff was friendly and helpful. If you are visiting the Medical Facilities for the first time, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Your best bet is to simply drive a small distance up the road to the beautiful Courtyard Marriot on Front Street. This hotel is not clean. The staff (I encountered four different people) were all very rude. (They all hate their job, you can tell...)

They only receive business because they are located to close to Duke. Well, I will never step foot inside another Brookwood Hotel.

I reserved three nights and wound up canceling the rest of the stay. While parked there, I got a VIOLATION sticker on my truck that WONT COME OFF! Not sure if I'm going to receive a bill, but there is an unsightly violation sticker stuck to my cars windshield.

The worst part of my experience with Brookwood was the Assistant Manager. I am unsure of his name, but he is the one that talks like a woman.
I explained that I will not be staying at this hotel. I called at 3:56pm. (My brother had neuro surgery and I wasnt able to call until the last minute). Well, by the time I was transferred to the correct person, it was 4:01!! HE WOULD NOT refund my card!! I explained to him I don't need the room, I'm sleeping in the hospital with my brother. I asked if he had the authority to refund the charge for that night, being 4pm. My jaw dropped when he said: "I have the authority to refund this charge, but I'm not going to".
I hung the phone up because I could not deal with it. I was appalled. The Courtyard at Marriot (in fact, ANY MARRIOT) is your best bet. Same rate for family of hospitalized family members.
Stay away. Save yourself the frustration. Now I have to deal with the violation sticker.*sigh* Terrible experience.

Room Tip: Go to the Marriot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reminding everyone that all vehicles in our parking lots do require a valid parking permit for a currently registered room. I am very happy that your car was not towed. As always parking permits can be picked up at the front desk with a guaranteed reservation if it is too early to register into your room.

The sticker should be easy to remove with a safety scraper.

It is always unfortunate when we have to charge a Guaranteed No Show fee when an active reservation is not cancelled prior to 4 PM (except for special events which require additional notice) and this is clearly not our favorite conversation to have with a guest. When make a reservation after 4 we are unable to cancel it and we certainly will not be able to reverse the charge when we do not hear from you until the next day. Of course, it is always a good idea to write down both your confirmation and cancellation numbers if you call to get one.

I am happy you eventually found accommodations that you liked as I wish you the best in your future travels.
Salisbury, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Brookwood Inn is conveniently located to Duke Medical Center. The staff is efficient and helpful. The rooms are large and comfortable. (The shades could be dusted, though.) A refrigerator and microwave in the room helps keep down food costs. There is no problem bringing food into the rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Havelock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the Brookwood for an extended period while a family member was a patient at Duke University Hospital. Check in was fast and easy. The rooms are large and very clean. The staff is very helpful and always pleasant. The hotel is in a great location, two blocks from Duke and a block from the VA Hospital. The hotel has a cafe which is open limited hours during the morning and early afternoon. A laundry room is available for guests. The hotel also operates a shuttle for guests and is free within 3 miles of the hotel. Guest parking is also free during your stay but is limited to one parking pass per room. When the cafe is not open a free coffee/tea station is set up in the lobby. My only complaint is the coffee there; it's awful.

Room Tip: Request to stay in the front building. It is more comfortable and is non-smoking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University? Share your experiences!