“for hospital visitors - better than the millennium hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2306 Elba Street, Durham, NC 27705   |
Ranked #27 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Columbia, South Carolina
“for hospital visitors - better than the millennium hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

this hotel is one block from duke medical center and the rate includes free parking for one car.
i stayed at the brookwood inn for a week in early september. my executive king room on the 8th floor was very clean and a good size. the bathroom looked new. the bed was comfortable. the staff was helpful and kind. the rooms include wi-fi, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee service. there is also a safe which costs $1 per night.
there is a free every 30 minute shuttle service (don't think it runs on sunday) available for trips within a 3 mile radius. this distance includes most of downtown durham.
there is also a laundry room, an exercise room, and a coffee shop open for breakfast and lunch. i ate one breakfast there and the food and price were fine.
my medical patient rate was $89. smaller rooms are available for less.
one should know that there is essentially no lobby area.

in the past i have stayed at the millennium hotel (about 2 miles away) for medical visits to duke.
the rooms have become increasingly dreary and dated. on the bright side, the millennium has free parking, a swimming pool and exercise room, a nice lobby area, a large bar area with free wi-fi, a restaurant with reasonable food and pricing, and free shuttle to duke, duke medical center, and southpoint mall.

if a nice lobby and the availability of a bar and restaurant are not critical to you, i strongly recommend the brookwood inn.

Room Tip: i liked the quiet top floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Don't let the pictures fool you, this is not a "nice" hotel. However, it is fairly clean and right across the street from Duke hospital. You can leave your car in the hotel parking lot at no charge, and walk right across the street to the clinics and hospital. You will get a better rate if you call the hotel directly than going thru a travel website. There was a huge bug in our room the first night, but the front desk clerk came and got it, and we didn't see one again during our 3 night stay. There is free internet access, a fridge, microwave, and tv.

Ask to stay in the main building where the renovations have been done; it's a bit more per night, but worth it if you are that kind of person. Other than that, I would probably stay here again if it were just a couple of nights and I had to stay for hospital reasons.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building that has been renovated - but remember it will be about $15 more...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The location was perfect for a visit to Duke hospital, a quick 5 min walk (one block, long light) the staff was very accomadating and pleasant. The room was recently renovated and was very clean and had all the amenities you expect with a nice hotel. Felt safe around the hotel too. All of the staff was very nice. Had to make a change to my reservation the day of and they made the change without any issues. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Collinsville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have stayed at the Brookwood Inn Durham for 3 years. I had absolutely no thoughts as to not making a reservation again this year. I read several poor reviews but thought those customers must have been having a bad day. The reviews were spot on, sadly to say! During check in, the clerk was so frustrated that he threw a bit of a tantrum in front of me and another customer while I was checking in. His major issue.....the printer jammed. Ok, bad day who cares. We endured a night without AC. I made a comment to the clerk upon check out and she looked at me like I had snakes coming out of my eyes. Without so much of an apology, she says we're under renovations but not replacing the AC. Her poor attitude makes it easy to say I will not return. However, this hotel is near a hospital that sees many families in distress. Hope they pick a different hotel because this one will only add to their stress!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BrookwoodInn, Manager at Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We are always sorry to learn that a guest had an unpleasant stay. Unfortunately when both temperature and humidity run over 90 it is inevitable that we will have an air-conditioner somewhere that does not perform as well as we would like somewhere throughout the complex. We apologize for the unpleasant night and I will share your comments with the team. If it ever happens again please let us know when the unit fails so we can get you another unit or another room instead of suffering through the night.
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I always enjoy my trips to see my daughter at Duke by staying at the Brookwood. The rooms are always well-kept, lots of pillows on the bed, and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Most of the time I have to arrive late (because I fly out after work that day), and they are very accomodating. Will use them on every trip to Duke.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I made a reservation at this hotel based upon the VA's agreed upon rate for Veteran's getting care at the Durham VA Hospital. When my wife called the hotel, she was assured that the room had an accessible shower and that the room was a nice one in the annex. After 4 days of being in the hospital living from pain med to pain med, I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing couple of weeks recuperating in a decent room for my outpatient therapy.

Upon arrival on crutches at the front desk, the staff had a very hard time getting the computer to find our reservation, when we asked if the room was a newer room and whether it had an accessible shower, the answer we were given was "that's all you get for the VA Medical Rate". So we checked in and after viewing the room with the non-accessible shower in the "annex", I requested something else.

The front desk staff was not interested in helping to find me a more recently renovated room at a higher rate or anything else because the computer "was down" although "solitaire" was clearly visible on the terminal when you come in from the door facing the annex. I cancelled my reservation and starting calling around to find a room with an accessible shower. I found one nearby at almost the same rate but in a much nicer facility and much more helpful front staff.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for letting us know that we failed to meet your needs during your recent visit. We share comments from our guest with our team so that we can try to find ways to better meet their various needs. Unfortunately the room that was reserved for you (through an external agent via fax) was a standard room and did not have the feature that you requested. If is most unfortunate that we were not able to find a room that could meet your needs as it is a simple request if the desired room type is available. If you decide to give us another try please ask us to send you a written confirmation letter by mail or post and you can always send us an email to have us check on the room features if you have specific needs. The feature you requested is indicated in our confirmation letters. Sorry again for the perceived lack of hospitality.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Friendly staff. Easy walk to the hospital. The rooms were very nice and clean. Enjoyed my stay. I would definitely recommend this place to others. Loved coming back to the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Brookwood Inn Durham near Duke University? Share your experiences!