“Okay business hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Durham
NYC
“Okay business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in March 2013 (and have stayed many times in the past):

Pros: good location, nice rooms, excellent Internet in rooms and public space, very nice staff at front desk

Cons: no gym in the hotel (amazing for a big hotel, access to a nearby fitness center is no replacement for a gym in the hotel); club lounge is not very good (outdated look, poor light, food is subpar, terrible coffee and the staff is too eager and all over you)

In sum, it is an okay business hotel if you have work nearby

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
chesterfield, va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We attended a convention here this weekend. The facility is old and has had a facelift but the finishes are average at best. The front desk crew upon check in was slow, unfriendly and not very helpful. Since my husband travels a lot he is a Starwood platinum member, or whatever it's called by SPG and we weren't treated like so. Not offered an upgrade, not asked if we wanted to use our points and put in an average floor, #6. The room was ok. Bathroom small, old door, tile and ceiling was quite dated, with water leak stains. Bed was comfortable, thank goodness. Room was hard to keep at an "average temp" and it was quite annoying. Room service was terrible and I wouldn't recommend the pizza. Breakfast buffet was good, solid choices and I enjoyed my omelette. The bar was nice, good location but the bartender was less then friendly. With 3 conventions going on you would think she would be overjoyed at the chance to make good tips...nope not this lady. Kind of condescending and unfriendly...the theme of the staff. Meeting facilities are large,food ok and service staff solid. My husband got sick the last night and believes it was from the filet. I think it was undercooked. I gave him mine and had the shrimp and I didn't get sick...hmmm?

All in all if I were to visit this area. Again I believe I would choose another hotel. Just didn't make the cut for me. If hotels would just spend the money to upgrade correctly and make sure their staff is doing a good job it would make guests feel much more comfortable. Just a C grade from me. Good luck!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Postparade:

We are very sorry that your experience was not positive. We take pride in our excellent hotel, and we sincerely regret that your experience was not up to our normal high standards. Please be assured that we will use these comments to train our staff because we understand the importance of attention to details like the positive impact of a friendly greeting. We look forward to a future visit when you can have a more typical Sheraton Imperial experience.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed here several times before but this time my room wasn't the best. The lobby is nice and the rooms are a good size and comfortable but the toilet in my room was not mounted to the floor properly and it wobbled. Because of this the bathroom had a smell of sewage. Also the room service food was not too great this time. I had a dry chicken sandwich that I did not finish and for breakfast the hash browns were covered in some sort of tomato sauce that was off putting. Other than that the hotel is simple and comfortable for a short visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Z;
We regret very much that you were not fully satisfied by your experience at our hotel. We certainly will do a thorough inspection and review of the room in question and make sure it is up to our high standards for guest comfort and quality. We encourage you in the future to contact our Guest Services when you have an issue and we will do our best to make it right immediately! Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and we hope you'll come back when you are in our area again.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My stay at the Sheraton Imperial was for a short night between flights. It was dark when we arrived and still dark when we departed early the next morning. Given this situation, the check in and check out were quick and efficient. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice and hot. The in-room coffee was Starbucks with a small bottle of water included for free. The free airport shuttle was quick. For my needs on this stay, the hotel made me very happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear jjb415,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel on Trip Advisor. Sheraton Imperial Hotel has a great location in the very heart of Research Triangle Park and very close to the airport. We try very hard to meet each guest's expectations, and we're very glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a conference that was hosted inside the hotel. (Sally Clarkson's Momheart conference) I was very happy with my overall experience. Friendly Staff, clean comfy rooms, close to restaurants. The only things that were a (small) frustration was the wifi and the numerous flyers in the room. There were a ton of notices in my room making me feel like I was on a scavenger hunt to get all of the information. Wifi changed from lobby to room as expected but there was no signal in the conference room and I constantly had to log in again.

Overall, great experience. I would definitley stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear QueenofdaBluez;

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. I have taken note of your comments and will share them with the Team. Thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here three days for a conference. Nice conference facility. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It is an older hotel, but they have done a pretty good job with updates. I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear LC_968;

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our most recent update we remodeled our guest bathrooms. Most guests find our location a welcome change from the asphalt and concrete of typical airport hotels. Our park-like setting, convenient to RTP, RDU, universities and corporate campuses, is a refreshing change for business and leisure travelers. We hope you'll be back soon!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here on business for one night. When I went to workout in the morning, I was told that the "fitness Center" sign pointing outside actually leads to an adjacent business wherein you are charged $7.00 to workout. Seriously? More than ample space for convention space but they can't build a room and add some workout equipment??? Aside from that, the rooms (on the 8th floor at least) are noisy, the doors slam when closing, and don't even try and sleep in as housekeeping is knocking on doors and announcing themselves at 8am on the dot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear glbltrvlr989:

Thank you for sharing your experience. The Fitness Center is a full service Athletic Club with swimming pool, racquetball, basketball and 75 individual stations of fitness equipment. It is operated by Fitness Connection. The $7.00 fee is discounted for our guests from the normal $20.00 fee. We apologize that this option did not meet your needs. In addition, we will work with our Housekeeping staff to better control noise on the guest room floors.

SIHCC

Been to Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!