“Good for Business Travel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 67 hotels in Durham
Kinston, North Carolina
“Good for Business Travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My overall experience was very good. I spent three days/two nights here for a conference. The hotel is in an ideal location if you are traveling for business, yet there is not a lot around in the immediate area to walk to explore.

Room Tip: The hotel is great for meetings and events. It has a nice bar, restaurant and Starbucks; however th...

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

It was by fluke (or rather foul weather) that I ended up staying in this hotel last Friday night. I live within 45 mins of this hotel and convention center. I was registered to attend a conference there on Friday night and Saturday. An ice storm hit the town so I made reservations to stay. I was pleasantly surprised for the high quality room that I got for the cost. It was very clean and updated with beautiful decor. The staff at the bell service and front desk were very friendly. The food served at the conference was delicious. I will not turn down a chance to stay at this hotel again even though it is fairly close to my home.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

why people are hung up on decor amazes me.....stay at a 4-star hotel....if you can't afford it don't complain..

this is a solid hotel. very good accomodations on SPG level...very clean room, free wi-fi, very quiet even with a conference at hotel. great beds and pillows. reasonably quiet heat and AC...doesn't have the below window units.

convenient to RTP.

provided $5 coupons for each nite you don't use cleaning service...

will visit ahain.

Room Tip: Higher floors prob better.
Redford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Planned a conference of top scientists in their fields, from all over the world. To boot, I was planning this conference from out of state.
I chose the Sheraton Imperial because our University had a contract with them.
I worked with Becky Shelton and her staff, and in 20 years of planning events, have not experienced the extraordinary level of customer service that I did with the Imperial.
They literally took care of every single request with a huge smile, and unprecedented promptness.

Everything from taking care of materials that I shipped; organizing shuttles to and fro for participants; security access; master bill for hosted guests; everything was handled with care and professionalism.

I arrived to handle logistics for the conference and was relatively useless because the Sheraton had handled all the details for me.

My conference participants were cared for with remarkable attention to detail, and I'm so, so thankful. If you are an event planner who wants the best hotel partner ever, plan your conference at the Sheraton Imperial. Period.

Sidebar: ordered room service the first night. Hamburger and spinach salad. Literally in the Top 10 most delicious burgers I've ever eaten. Red velvet cupcake was to die for.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked a corner suite (for the same price as a regular room). It's a nice size, includes a small refrigerator (which I unplugged for most of my stay, since it's loud). Bed was good. Bathroom is small (similar to many Sheratons built in the 70s or 80s).

Negatives:

Furniture - chairs and couch, as with other Sheratons I've been to recently, seem really quite old. They also clearly haven't been properly cleaned in a long, long time. Every time I touched one I felt the need to immediately wash my hands. Needless to say, I sat at the desk chair and table chair (which seemed slightly better), but still washed my hands frequently. This is easy to fix, but they obviously don't care.

No safe - what's up with Sheraton's and no safe? Upon inquiry, the front desk first said "it's an old hotel" (as if that would explain why they don't have a $90 safe?), and then later said they'll be installed in January. Riiiight - too convenient an answer, if you ask me...though I hope it's true.

Noise - had to call security at 2am due to loud partier's running down the hall and slamming doors. Haven't had to do that at a hotel in a long time.

Restaurant - great for breakfast; not good any other time. Expect frozen, tasteless food.

Otherwise, the staff was quite nice.

Next time I'm in the area, I expect I'll try a different Starwood hotel. There's really nothing about this one other than it's proximity to the airport that would encourage me to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night. The hotel was a disappointment – the room looked dated and carpet had an odor. It felt more like what might be an acceptable motel room rather than a nice hotel. The lobby area was huge and the bar in the lobby area seemed decent. Not too far from airport and in the research triangle but not too close to Durham or Raleigh. I would not stay here again.

Room was a long hike from the elevator.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I were only in the Triangle overnight and as we used to live in Chapel Hill, we had driven by the Sheraton Imperial dozens of times. I booked a Junior Suite for $71 on a Saturday in December. The room was enormous with a sofa, two chairs, a dining table, coffee table, king bed and entertainment center. We also received a complimnetary full breakfast, two cocktails and they had a complimentary shuttle to take you to local area restaurants.. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, the hotel was very clean, the bed was very comfortable. The location is great for shopping, business, airport etc., I would highly recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!