“Extraordinary service. Best conference partner ever.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Redford, Michigan
“Extraordinary service. Best conference partner ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Planned a conference of top scientists in their fields, from all over the world. To boot, I was planning this conference from out of state.
I chose the Sheraton Imperial because our University had a contract with them.
I worked with Becky Shelton and her staff, and in 20 years of planning events, have not experienced the extraordinary level of customer service that I did with the Imperial.
They literally took care of every single request with a huge smile, and unprecedented promptness.

Everything from taking care of materials that I shipped; organizing shuttles to and fro for participants; security access; master bill for hosted guests; everything was handled with care and professionalism.

I arrived to handle logistics for the conference and was relatively useless because the Sheraton had handled all the details for me.

My conference participants were cared for with remarkable attention to detail, and I'm so, so thankful. If you are an event planner who wants the best hotel partner ever, plan your conference at the Sheraton Imperial. Period.

Sidebar: ordered room service the first night. Hamburger and spinach salad. Literally in the Top 10 most delicious burgers I've ever eaten. Red velvet cupcake was to die for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked a corner suite (for the same price as a regular room). It's a nice size, includes a small refrigerator (which I unplugged for most of my stay, since it's loud). Bed was good. Bathroom is small (similar to many Sheratons built in the 70s or 80s).

Negatives:

Furniture - chairs and couch, as with other Sheratons I've been to recently, seem really quite old. They also clearly haven't been properly cleaned in a long, long time. Every time I touched one I felt the need to immediately wash my hands. Needless to say, I sat at the desk chair and table chair (which seemed slightly better), but still washed my hands frequently. This is easy to fix, but they obviously don't care.

No safe - what's up with Sheraton's and no safe? Upon inquiry, the front desk first said "it's an old hotel" (as if that would explain why they don't have a $90 safe?), and then later said they'll be installed in January. Riiiight - too convenient an answer, if you ask me...though I hope it's true.

Noise - had to call security at 2am due to loud partier's running down the hall and slamming doors. Haven't had to do that at a hotel in a long time.

Restaurant - great for breakfast; not good any other time. Expect frozen, tasteless food.

Otherwise, the staff was quite nice.

Next time I'm in the area, I expect I'll try a different Starwood hotel. There's really nothing about this one other than it's proximity to the airport that would encourage me to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night. The hotel was a disappointment – the room looked dated and carpet had an odor. It felt more like what might be an acceptable motel room rather than a nice hotel. The lobby area was huge and the bar in the lobby area seemed decent. Not too far from airport and in the research triangle but not too close to Durham or Raleigh. I would not stay here again.

Room was a long hike from the elevator.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I were only in the Triangle overnight and as we used to live in Chapel Hill, we had driven by the Sheraton Imperial dozens of times. I booked a Junior Suite for $71 on a Saturday in December. The room was enormous with a sofa, two chairs, a dining table, coffee table, king bed and entertainment center. We also received a complimnetary full breakfast, two cocktails and they had a complimentary shuttle to take you to local area restaurants.. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, the hotel was very clean, the bed was very comfortable. The location is great for shopping, business, airport etc., I would highly recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

While only 334 rooms, this hotel feels much larger due to the convention spaces. Plan to walk a substantial way until you can reposition your vehicle. Obviously, if mobility challenged, seek assistance. Restaurant was serviceable but the Red Oak on tap in the bar was my highlight. The third floor room was comfortable but dated looking. Bed was good and the night was quiet, so above average hotel with one of my favorite lagers that you can't get in a can or bottle.

Room Tip: 334 was quoet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis based but airborne often
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travel in excess of 150K miles and spend between 75-100 nights in hotels each year... so I've seen pretty much the entire gamut of hotels and service levels on offer. In this context, I would put the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center at Research Triangle Park in RDU in the solidly "above average" and "decent value for money spent" categories. Up until two months ago, I was a regular at the RTP Marriott... but declining service levels, smaller rooms and marginal food offerings prompted me to switch and it's been a very good decision. Here's how I'd break it down:

Upsides:
1) reasonable proximity to the airport - inside a 10 minute journey even in bad traffic
2) close to Research Triangle Park - inside a 5-7 minute journey
3) bellmen/courtesy van drivers are genuinely pleasant, efficient and accommodating - they consistently offer and frequently go out of their way to make life easier for you
4) rooms are good sized - many have treadmills
5) wifi is free and quick
6) bathrooms are not cramped - you can actually close the door without having to do odd yoga poses or Eastern European gymnastics maneuvers between the tub, the commode and the sink.
7) unlike the Marriott, you have access to all TV channels, not just the family friendly ones.
8) pretty decent lobby bar
9) club is spacious and nicely appointed

Downsides:
1) typically have to wait 15-20 minutes after you call for the van to pick you up at the airport - they don't dispatch them until you call... not always great depending on the weather
2) front desk is "efficient" but not always effusive or congenial. They always treat me politely but you don't always come a way with a sense of caring; having said this, it would also be fair to say that this is not universal - I've had some very pleasant folks check me in/out so it may just be time of day/alignment of the planets sort of stuff.
3) this is a LARGE hotel with a couple of very long wings - if you end up in a room at the far end of one of these wings, you're a hike back to the lobby; this isn't a problem if you're driving and can park near one of the back or side entrances, but if you're on foot ... wear comfortable shoes
4) food quality - average - definitely could be improved.
5) club food is marginal - great for a drink and a place to read the paper but nothing past that

All in all, this hotel is still in "plus" territory - and their generally positive service attitude puts it well over the top in my book. I'll continue to be a regular there.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors, closer to the lobby are generally more convenient all other things being equ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Imperial for a state-wide church conference and was quite satisfied overall. I'd joined their SPG program when making my reservation and am glad I did as I was first offered a room on the 1st floor. When I asked for any floor other than the 1st, I was upgraded to the SPG 7th floor - nice. I was able to watch the sunrise each morning as I sat drinking Starbucks coffe in my room wrapped in a comfortable hotel supplied room. The buffets (they provided lunch & dinner buffets for the conference in addition to the breakfast buffet) I attended was very good for the price and all of the staff was friendly and professional. It was a great 4 days & 3 nights. Oh! I have to mention the $5 vouchers I received for opting out of housekeeping services. I was traveling alone & had no problem making my own bed. When I ran out of coffee in my room, housekeeping gladly answered my call for more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!