“Excellent food, very expensive” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Olney, Maryland
“Excellent food, very expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Fantastic ambience, excellent service, tremendous food, but very expensive - if you're prepared to spend $$, it is worth the cost - try the duck!

Visited July 2013

Norfolk, Virginia
“Delightful jewel tucked away among the trees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I joined some good friends to celebrate my mother's birthday and this was my first time at Elizabeth's. We were greeted at the door and welcomed as if going to a good friend's home. The ambience of the tasting room with the chef's own artwork on display was relaxing.
The wine list is impressive - we relied on the owner's recommendations and each wine we were served was perfect for each course.
The service was terrific and the staff are extremely knowledgable about all aspects of the menu and wines and have been there for years which is always a great sign of a restaurant that cares about food, wine and offering an 'experience' not just a meal!
I had the garden salad with fruit but tasted the delicious mussels which were absolutely terrific. For my main course, I had the sesame seared tuna over wasabi mashed potatoes and the seaweed cucumber salad. It was seared to perfection and the wasabi potatoes were balanced perfectly.
After dinner, we sat on the porch and enjoyed some lemon chess pie to top off a wonderful evening's experience.
Not only will I return but I highly recommend Elizabeth's to anyone I know - especially my foodie and wine friends.
The whole experience was delightful!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, Alabama
“A Classic Quiet Oasis from Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Going to the beach for vacation, especially with kids can be exhausting. Elizabeth's Cafe is quiet, classic, old school respite. The wine list is impressive and a great range of styles and price points. The service is casual and friendly. The food is very good and well prepared. I would recommend the tasting menu. My favorite item on the menu was the the pan-seared sesame crusted tuna with a soy ginger beurre blanc and an Asian Seaweed cucumber salad.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“A hidden gem in downtown Duck OBX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went here for an anniversary dinner based on a friends recommendation. We had a reservation and the owner was expecting us, greeting us at the door.
Soft candlelight...great ambience...wine is clearly the focus in decor and menu. we passed their impressive wine collection on racks behind glass in the temperature controlled room.
The menu was for that specific date so clearly the chef uses the freshest they can get. There is also a pris fix wine pairing menu that was 6 courses. I am not a wine drinker so focused on the food.
We both enjoyed the brie and scallop soup, with green apple chunks...different and delicious...a large portion that we should have shared.
I had the grilled salmon and shrimp on rice w steamed veggies...it was served piping hot with many fresh herbs and was simply delicious. again, the portion was large and I could not finish it.
My husband enjoyed yellowfin tuna w/ wasabi mashed potatoes in a ginger/sesame reduction sauce and a seaweed/cucumber salad. HE cleared his plate!
We were too full for dessert but they also sounded enticing. We shall return!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Missed The Mark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The wine cellar is impressive and one can find the perfect wine to pair with food. The mussels in a saffron butter broth were tasty but cold. The pecan crusted Vidalia Onion torte with goat cheese was good. The grilled New Zealand Lamb rack with a Pinot Noir barrel made molasses reduction sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, and sautéed vegetables was cooked perfectly and the sauce delicious. The caramelized salmon, shrimp, and mussels with a lemon zest butter, Romano risotto, and roasted vegetables was well presented but the shrimp were tasteless, the mussels cold, and the crust on the salmon too spicy. Pot de Creme for dessert was delicious - the truffle just so so. Once again, I would like to love this restaurant, but it needs some tweaking. It was an uneven experience.

• Visited June 2013