“Great seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 32 Restaurants in Duck
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A stunning waterfront setting serving fresh food prepared simply and with passion by our team of friends using ingredients from our own backyard. We are dedicated to your experience from the time you walk in the door. An ever changing chalkboard features daily selections from handmade pasta, locally caught seafood and rustic wood oven specialties. Ten Craft beers on draught and extensive reasonably priced wine list showcase our wood oven pizzas and entree offerings
“Great seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Came in from the cold to try a new restaurant for us and was happily delighted to truly enjoy Paper Canoe! First, these folks are a delight- friendly, great food tips, very helpful! The crab stuffed shrimp was excellent as was the asparagus soup! When I am back in town next month I am definitely trying the ravioli! You will not be disappointed!

“Our Favorite OBX Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The first thing you'll notice about The Paper Canoe when you arrive is that the staff are professionals. That is to say, they're educated about the facility, how the kitchen works, what the food is about, and what they're selling as a meal and an experience in general.

You'll also notice the setting - right on the sound, just north of Duck and Sanderling. On a clear night, the sunset is worth the price of admission alone.

The restaurant itself isn't huge, and it's not fancy. But its tastefully simple decor make it comfortable and allow you to focus on the real reason you're there: the outstanding food. And I use that word very intentionally: it stands out from everything else I've eaten on the OBX in the many years we've been going there for vacation.

We had some starters: duck potstickers, and grilled romaine salad. The former was tasty and hot. The latter may sound a bit played but the dressing was great and the char was just right - not to mention the fact that we had this salad there two years ago before every dummy with a blowtorch started burning their lettuce to ash.

Our server was expert. He knew the wines, had recommendations for the food, and his timing and touches were just right. My daughter ordered the roasted chicken, which was moist and flavorful - without being overly salty or smothered in unnecessary sauce. I had the shrimp and grits, which were cooked with Gouda and an andouille sausage reduction. Holy ... This was a recommendation from the server, and he did not steer me wrong. If you get this entree, you will NOT be disappointed.

For dessert, we had a flour less chocolate torte, which was very nicely done. I also ordered the ricotta cheesecake, which was good in that it was not overly sweet - which I appreciated. My only minor complaint was that it was a bit too creamy for a ricotta dessert. I sort of wanted to taste the granular, cheesey aspect of the cake. It tasted a bit more like a traditional (if excellent) NY style cheesecake.

Overall, another outstanding meal at The Paper Canoe.

I will add that because I've bee twice and had children with me each time, I've yet to enjoy the bar. It looks beautiful, however.

Corolla, North Carolina
“Food's not ''fare"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Food here is not "fare," it's very good! After having drinks and watching the sun set at the bar with friends last week, we opted to return for dinner last night. Only problem with our lovely sunset/soundside table in the bar is the cars which are parked directly behind the building, below the window. After noticing this I then ironically overheard a customer who was just being seated make the same observation to our waiter. (How the cars-mostly employee's apparently, are a distraction to the beautiful views,)
Oh well, get beyond that because wine, bread, yummy grilled salad , and 0MG Scallop special was spectacular. My husband was okay with his choices-a lettuce wedge and sausage pizza. Service good. Prices moderate, but, glad to pay for quality which is what I felt we received dining at the Canoe.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duck, North Carolina
“Very good in season”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food was excellent, service was OK, and prices are reasonable, but the floor was dirty. The Paper Canoe is very popular with the thirty-something folks, and the bar is usually very busy. Unfortunately Paper Canoe is not open in the off season (Nov-Feb.)

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Best at this end of OBX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Ate twice at this delightful eatery in October. Reliable, inventive and most assuredly competent. Three things you cannot say about 95 percent of the restaurants on the Outer Banks. Likely closed now for the season, but when springs and summer beckon again, it is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013