“Wonderful 20th Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Duck
New Jersey
“Wonderful 20th Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here 20 years ago. The location has always been wonderful. Over the years we celebrated a few of our anniversaries here but as time went on so did we.
At the last minute right before our 20th anniversary we decided to book a room here for a few days. We were so happy, comfortable and welcomed. The staff treated us so well and made us feel special. The upgrades made since we were last there were fabulous. We hadn't realized that the inn had sold. I feel it has been for the better. I would highly recommend the inn. We will now spend the rest of our anniversaries here

Room Tip: The south building is great. the higher the floor the better chance for an ocean view due to the san...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
So glad you decided to return for your milestone 20th Anniversary. We look forward to having you back to celebrate 21st and thank you for sharing your experience with others.

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Long overdue days off. Live on coast but rarely take time to rest relax and enjoy. Loved this place!! Only advice would be live music for an hour or two outside for sunset. S'mores, fireplace great service food,rooms, pools, decor, yes, yes , yes will be back ;)

• Stayed September 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We've been visiting the Sanderling Resort for many years and have always had a wonderful time. We recently spent a four-day weekend there and were blow away by the improvements they have made over the past year. The dining opportunities have increased without any loss of quality or convenience; they've increased the activities available on site and have made upgrades to several of the rooms.

The staff is absolutely customer focused and go out of their way to exceed your expectations!

All in all, you can't go wrong staying at the Sanderling and we look forward to going back for years to come!

South Riding, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was my third or fourth trip to The Sanderling, but my husbands first. We went for a long weekend with my parents and had a wonderful stay. We stayed in the new rooms on the first floor of the South Building, which walk right out to the adult pool and the beach. The new rooms are really nice. They still smell new! Big bathroom with a walk-in shower and a separate room for the toilet.
The new pools are such a nice addition! You used to have to walk across the street to the Sound side to this old, out-dated pool. Now both the family and adult pools, which both include hot tubs are right in front of the hotel right off the beach. You can sit by the adult pool in the very comfortable lounge chairs and hear the waves crashing on the beach. (Granted the waves were really big when we were there...the 'no swimming' flags we flying)
Service is very friendly, and the S'mores and live music by the fire pit are a fun evening activity. The new pool bar and grill is really yummy for lunch. And the Lifesaving Station restaurant has a delicious breakfast and a lovely outdoor porch. Definitely skip Kimbell's Kitchen across the street. It is way over priced for the quality of the food. My mom could not even eat her halibut, it was so fishy tasting. I ordered my filet medium-well because I'm pregnant. It was a charbroiled brick, but the waitress did bring my some au ju to help make up for it. But a good chef should be able to cook a medium-well steak without completely killing it for the second time. Kimbell's Kitchen was my only complaint about the Sanderling though. The rest of our stay was wonderful, and the other two on-site restaurants are great! It is a perfect weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Definitely request the first floor of the South Building! I don't think all the other rooms hav...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for returning (and bringing the hubbie this time!) We are glad you enjoyed the new pools, firepits, Sandbar and other services. For sure, the Lifesaving Station has the best breakfast on the beach. I was sorry to hear your Kimball's experience was not up to par. I hope if given another chance it would be. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Cary, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I read the raving reviews on the site but want to offer my input. The location of this place is great, and that is very key. The food on site was very good, but pricey for sure. Service was spotty, my dinner the first night was great, today at breakfast we are the first people there when they finally open at 7 (too late) and it was so slow. Many of the workers were great and friendly, but our maid service was I attentive and terrible. Bartenders were awesome, liked having a fridge in the room but disappointed of no in room coffee service. Ladies in the spa were excellent, but the spa facility is kind of dated. No TV, no hot tub by inside pool, and no dry sauna. Again, first time there and I liked the food, much of the service, and the location. But not consistent enough for the prices commanded.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and want to work to make sure next time all areas of your stay "wow" you.
Chatham NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have been coming to the Sanderling for more than 16 years and were very happy to visit again this September. We read with some trepidation over the winter of the changes the new owners were planning on making and hoped that what was so special about Sanderling would not be lost.
It is still a very special place.....a little more lively for sure. I didn't think I would like the pools located in front of the buildings but in the end loved them. The resort has certainly listened to the reviews from the past few months and you can see they have addressed items like umbrellas, towels and beach chairs. In fact when we went , the beach chairs were already set up ...no call needed, beach towels in the rooms, and more umbrellas at the pool.
Pool etiquette is often a source of frustration at resorts....that is a human nature thing. It is hard to regulate people to do the right thing. We had no problem discerning when lounges were availible. My suggestion is to add six more at the end by the hot tub.....a wonderful addition to the property.
Love the new outdoor shower and foot wash. Love the new hammock chairs and observation deck. Love the chairs on the second floor deck where you can also sit a watch the ocean.
The main lobby facelift was nice....I love white!
The poolside bar upgrade was perfect.....having the kitchen right there really helps with timeliness of getting your fantastic lunch...burgers and lobster rolls and don't forget to get a crab sandwich.
We never took advantage of the fire pit but it was very pretty to observe from our room.
Speaking of which......our room. We had a brand new room in the south wing....a suite and it was lovely, hardwood floors, comfy bed.....first time ever I didn't leave with a back ache. Our bathroom was wonderful and we will be taking the idea for the walk in shower to our new home when we renovate the bathroom. The room opened on a ground level patio and we enjoyed cocktails out there. Great hammock chairs again. Really appreciated the I Pod docking ....so nice to enjoy music of your choice. It was very private.

Speaking of music......so happy they turned it off at the tranquility pool....need to lower the volume just a tad more and especially at the spa. The entrance of a spa needs to transition you in a place of serenity and the current volume and selection of music does not do that . I have always loved the spa at the Sanderling and hold other spa location in comparison....like having the gift shop there also and the new selection of items.

We ate at the Life Saving Station once for breakfast and know that issues there have been identified and in process of being addressed. We saved Kimballs for our last night and we were not disappointed. Having been big fans of the Left Bank.....we were not sure about making it a steak house but it really works. Excellent food, same great staff, same perfect sunset ......and did I mention the best Key Lime martinis anywhere....so happy Sean is back. I had the lamb chops and my husband had a veal chop.....best mashed potatoes ever. Frank our server was superb and Rhonda is a great asset.

Change is always just that ...change. Some folks will embrace , others will not. I hated to see the breakfast baskets go...but that was ten years ago. I did miss afternoon tea.....always great for a bit a sweetness to tide you over until shower and dinner. I miss the birds also.....but understand that the family owned them and many of them now sit in museums. How lucky we were to be able to enjoy them for so long.

I can't wait to come back next year....I believe that the resort will be better than ever....they are listening and want everyone to enjoy themselves. And yes the magic of Sanderling is still there, the dolphins, the birds, the ocean breezes......

Room Tip: We have always liked the south inn ...third fool but the new rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
This is a very thorough review and we appreciate, as a long time guest, that you took the time to share these thoughts with others. Yes, we have been listening to these reviews and our guests and making adjustments. We want to provide an exceptional experience with the new amenities so that you can continue on, or start, new memories. We look forward to your 17th stay next year.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at Sanderling for our first ever visit to the Outer Banks and all I can say is it was wonderful. The staff was one of the nicest I ever encountered and the property is very well kept and located in one of the best locations in Duck. We will definitely come back in the future. Also love the adult only pool as a way to really relax. The fire pits at night are great too and remind me of my youth and the good times around a campfire.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Glad you enjoyed the Outer Banks and choose to stay with us. We are glad you plan to return to enjoy the services and amenities. Safe travels back to China.

Been to Sanderling Resort? Share your experiences!