“It was well worth the staying.” 5 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dillsboro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gatlinburg,
“It was well worth the staying.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

When I'm in the area again, BW River Escape & Inn will have my business. The room that I stayed in had a very great view of the river. Whenever I needed something from the front desk, they were very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
bwriverescape, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for your great review. I'm thrilled our staff was helpful to you.

Vick Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

What's not to love?
Clean, quiet, comfortable room.
Free WiFi and breakfast
Right on the water
Pool and jacuzzi, exercise room and business center.
Attentive, helpful staff.
Laundry on 2nd floor ($2 per load)
Very Satisfied- I'm actually writing this review from my room- I've been here 3 days and staying another 2!

Room Tip: Mine was 211- try and get a view of the river
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate the great review. I'm so happy you enjoyed everything at the hotel, and will be coming back to our river escape.

nc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

After booking a room, I emailed hotel to confirm that there would be 2 double beds in the room to accommodate my family. Got a very quick response that yes there would be two beds. When checking in late on a Friday afternoon, I was informed that the room had only one bed and a foldaway couch. When I asked for another room, I was told the hotel was fully booked. I was encouraged to cancel our room and seek shelter elsewhere. Not being familiar with Dillsboro, NC (a really small town) I was clueless as to whether there was even another hotel for miles--so we kept our room. Asked to speak to a manager, and was told he would be in the next day. Left word that I would like to talk to him...he never contacted us.
However, when we unfolded the couch, we noted that the two main springs were busted. When we shared this with the front desk the comment was "Gee". We had asked for an adjusted rate, and was told we had already gotten a good deal. Went down again to the front desk to get pillows and blankets for the couch, was given one pillow, and there was already a pillow and 1 blanket in the dresser, and we were told that should be enough for us.
Then the next morning, after my morning bath, there was a hole in the bathtub (which looked like someone had tried to patch), and the tub leaked 6 feet into the room and soak my husband's clothes. Again shared this with the front desk who's response was "hey, that's crazy". We waited until close to check out to get use of a pay drier to dry my husband's clothes (no offer from hotel), and they were all being used...we bagged them and left with wet clothes. Very poor customer service for a 3.5 star hotel.
On the plus side, if you can get a room facing the river, the view would probably be great. And the morning breakfast was very good and the wait staff was quite pleasant. And the location is good...not another hotel for miles!

Room Tip: Try for a room riverside with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
bwriverescape, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your stay began going downhill when you found you were in a single-queen suite with a pull-out sofa. Unfortunately, you booked your room via a third-party vendor (HotWire). Although using these sites is great you are at the mercy of whatever the system puts you in - you have no choice over room type. The benefit of having no choice is that you were able to secure a room rate that is 30% to 50% off our normal discounted rates. That is the trade off for the great rate. We only offered to cancel your reservation to make you happy. Our staff member did offer to call around to local hotels to help your family find accommodations, which was declined.

As you mentioned we were sold out so switching rooms was not an option. I personally monitor our email correspondence. I believe you emailed HotWire (hotelhelp@hotwire.com). As our Front Office Manager mentioned when you were here we recommended you call HotWire directly at 1-866-468-9473 to discuss reservation issues. You were so dissatisfied with the bed situation there did not seem to be anything we could say or do after that to appease you. And for that, I am sorry. I understand your frustration, especially since you were unfamiliar with how sites like HotWire book rooms.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have a chance to make this up to you. If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 828-586-6060.

Zionville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My family has been going to Dillsboro for many years. Everytime we have gone, we have chosen to stay at the Best Western River Escape. We are never disappointed. Our trip this past week over Easter vacation was no different.

What we like:

Service- The staff working at this hotel is extremely attentive.

Safety and Security- I have always felt confident in this hotel/area. At night, the side entrances lock and all people entering must go through the front desk area. The pool, exercise room, and business area require keycard entry as well. The parking lot is well lit too. All rooms open to inner hallways too. All rooms also have a small safe that you can lock using your keycard.

Cleanliness- Sparkling! Not just the rooms, but all areas of the hotel: lobby, pool area, parking lots, halls, etc. I talked to a group of contractors at breakfast one morning that were working in the area. Their company had put them up here for a couple of days. One said, "This is the nicest hotel that I've ever been put up in for my work."

Rooms- There are several types of rooms to choose from. Some are located on the front side of the hotel overlooking the parking lot. For a few extra dollars, you can ge one on the backside that overlooks the Tuckasegee River. I'd certainly splurge for the riverview rooms. The balcony overlooking the river is great! There are three floors, the higher floors do have a better view of the river.

You can get a standard, 2 queen room. Suites are slightly larger, and then there are jacuzzi suites as well.

The bathrooms are reasonably large, stocked with shampoo, toothpaste, soap, and lotion. The bathtubs are larger than other hotel rooms I've been in.

Other basics include TV, WiFi, microwave/fridge (I think that these may only be in the suites).

Breakfast- Included in the price and delicious! Choose from waffles, biscuits, gravy, sausage links, eggs, muffins, bagles, toast cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt to name a few. In warmer weather, you'll want to eat on the deck by the river. Hot cookies are served at the front desk most evenings as well, but they do get gone quickly.

Things for the Kids- The pool is quite large, about 25' x 60' and there's a hottub in the corner. Towels are provided. The pool is indoor and very clean as well. Being the nicest hotel in the Dillsboro area, this hotel gets a lot of business travelers and fewer families. On many occasions, we've had the pool all to ourselves. What a treat!

Outside, just across the parking lot is the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. Although rail traffic has decreased in recent years, you can still see coaches and cars parked on the sidings. You might catch sight of a freight train passing as well. Inside the hotel, there is an electric train that runs above the front lobby area. My kids love to sit and watch this as well. The staff was always helpful in turning the train on for my boys. Heaven knows they probably asked them to turn it on about a hundred times!

Location- Dillsboro is not an area packed with amusement parks and go-carts. Don't come here expecting the hustle and bustle of somewhere like Pigeon Forge. I love Pigeon Forge, but it is not a relaxing trip. Dillsboro is. Still, there are things to do that aren't too far away: the Fun Factory in Franklin, ride the train in Bryson City, visit Cherokee, raft the Tuckasegee, go for a hike.

Dislikes- Nothing. This is the best hotel that I've ever stayed at. As a family, we don't look for and can't afford the glamourous hotels, but I wouldn't trade this one for any other one. It does fill up quickly, especially during special events with the train or at Western Carolina University just down the road so call early. They do give discounts for AAA as well.

If you're going to be in the area, I would look here first.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor has the best view of the Tuckasegee River. The riverview rooms are a little more ex...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
bwriverescape, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for your thorough review of our property! You certainly touched base on so many of the things we have to offer. All of our guest rooms do have microwaves and mini fridges. We certainly do our best to ensure our guests feel comfortable, respected, safe, and welcomed at our River Escape - and I appreciate you noticing and sharing your experience with others.

We always enjoy having your family stay with us, and will look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best Wishes,
Lynchburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here on March 31, 2012. Location is awesome - on the riverfront. The room was spacious, the furniture was very nice. Everything seemed clean, fresh, and new. The staff was not overly friendly, but were courteous and efficient. I forgot my toothpaste so they gave me enough to use during my stay. Breakfast was very good - one of the best of it's type. There were several hot entrees including my favorite waffle machines.
The amazing thing is the value: I paid less than $70 using my AARP discount. The value of the breakfast was about $10 making the net cost of the room under $60. I can't remember a better hotel value. Bottom line: I will stay there again, I wish I could've stayed longer, and I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I chose a mountain view room which is less than a riverfront room. If you fish you can access the T...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Our extended family will be moving to the Dillsboro area and we were anxious to find a place to call home while visiting them. This hotel definitely beat our expectations. The staff were all polite and friendly. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Our room was on the 3rd floor (the top floor) and we had a balcony that overlooked the river. We woke up every morning to the beautiful sounds of rushing water- make sure you book a river front room! The breakfast each morning included waffles, cereal, bagels, eggs, sausage, yogurts, muffins, etc. The pool and spa were clean and perfect for ending our day. It is within walking distance of downtown Dillsboro and it's neat shops. I highly recommend this hotel. Oh, I googled a coupon and saved 20%! We will be back!

Room Tip: River front room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Wonderful place to stay. Right on the beautiful river, in the quaint town of Dillsboro. Hotel was spotless, comfortable, breakfast was great. We had a room with a hot tub and it was wonderful. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub and an outside patio area. The hotel's staff was friendly and when our remote didn't work, they changed it out immediately. We loved this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Get the jacuzzi room, has a balcony facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS River Escape Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!