“Great food.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 84 Restaurants in Cornelius
Cuisines: Thai
“Great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I eat there on a regular basis. I love the basil chicken and pad Thai and dumplings. Great service. Food for every one mild to extra hot.

Visited June 2013

Cornelius, North Carolina
“Just nice Thai”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice, not great. Their Green Papaya salad is not like I would expect and swimming in watery tomato juice, lacking the usual lime and chill zing that I am used to.
The Red Curry was good and beautifully flavored even if the beef was a bit so-so and the Thai Chicken Marlai was ok apart from onions that were barely cooked to the point of being inedible, which would suggest that not all the ingredients are cooked together.
I'll be going back to give it another try as I do love Thai food.

Woolwine, Virginia
“Sadly...my last meal here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was excited 6-7 years ago to learn that the owner of Thai Marlai had opened the restaurant at exit 28. I ate there sometimes as much as 3-4 times a week. My wife finally refused to go there more than twice a week. Two or three years ago I noticed the quality of the food had deteriorated and that the owner was seldom there. I had always recommended the restaurant to friends etc, but I stopped for fear they would not be pleased. However, I kept supporting the place myself in hopes that the food would return to its former excellence.
I slowed in my frequency of eating here after an incident where the food was so spicy that I could not eat it. When I complained to the waitress she just laughed and said "I make it hot for you".
I went there for lunch today since I had stopped at the new bakery nearby. The owner's son out did his usually rudeness with a surly attitude today. When my food came I detected an odor even through my allergy clogged sinuses that was NOT a Thai spice or herb! I complained to the son and he said "Do you want something else?" I said..."this is inedible I cannot eat it". He repeated his "Do you want something else?" No "I am sorry", no apology, nothing.
I got the Pad Thai but had trouble eating it for wondering what might be the problem this time.
I had noticed that when I ordered originally I did not get soup. The usual lunch special is soup, roll and entree. I figured they must have done away with the soup as a way to cut cost. Then I saw that other people were having soup.
When I went up to pay (yes there was NO consideration from the restaurant for serving me food I could not eat), I asked the other waiter (the one that can only deliver one plate at a time lest his baggy pants fall off) what the soup today was. He said "hot and sour". I said "I bet that was good". He finally caught on and said "you didn't get any?" I said no...his reply was 'huh'. No "I am sorry" no " I apologize".
Rereading this review I am struck that I sound like a woman scorned "no wrath". Perhaps that is how I really feel since it is like losing a a good friend to see this restaurant go SO far down hill.
Someone else needs to open a Thai place nearby so I have a place to eat good Thai food. Till then I will stick with my sushi hangouts.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very disappointed. Won't go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I love Thai food and have been to many Thai restaurants around the country, and I don't think I have ever had anything but enjoyable food at pretty much all of them. We decided to go out for a last minute dinner and wanted to try Thai Marlai. We ordered fresh spring rolls, steamed dumplings, red curry chicken, basil beef, and pineapple fried rice. The spring rolls were ok, nothing special, with an ok sauce. The dumpling were heavy on the chicken, not much flavor otherwise and we left one even (my kids have never left a dumpling ever). The red curry chicken was the best thing of the night, but was just average. The basil beef unfortunately was inedible. My husband always loves it at other Thai restaurants. This one uses beef that is ground up almost to the consistency of hamburger and had a sauce that was not good. We ordered the pineapple chicken fried rice because my kids were still hungry and it was absolutely awful, right down to the "furry" topping that looked like hair, but they said was some kind of pork. Now that I've read other reviews I'm sorry we didn't try the Pad Thai, but they love fried rice over noodles usually. For 2 adults and 2 little kids the bill was $70 without any alcohol or tip, which is a lot for what we got. I'm glad others have said they like it but I can't imagine how, given the food we were served. We love Eez, and Basil Thai, also Thai Orchide, Deejay Thai, and even Emerald Thai and Thai House weren't bad. I would recommend trying those instead.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“I t was just ok!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Decided last minute to go out for a nice dinner. We were there early and thought that would be ok. Specials were not ready. We also wanted the restaurant special ribs but of course they were out. We have visited this restaurant three times in one year for the ribs and each time they were out. Do they exist!!!

I ordered spicy ciopinno and it arrived with no spice. My husband ordered a ribeye that was tough.

I don't think we will be back!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere