“Great pet friendly hotel; we'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Hickory
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1607 Fairgrove Church Rd, Conover, NC 28613   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Conover
Newport, NC
“Great pet friendly hotel; we'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We had stayed at a La Quinta Inn only once before; and enjoyed our stay. This time we were looking for a nice pet friendly hotel while visiting family in Hickory, NC. From the moment we arrived the staff made us and our Tibetan Terrier feel welcome. Clean; well maintained rooms with an excellent service staff. A real breakfast with made to order or buffet style. If you enjoy seafood visit the restaurant next door; a great value with great food and staff also. Overall; nothing bad to say. A great value and good people working there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lincolnton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My partner and I stayed here, while I was attending a buiness seminar. The hospitality was wonderful, not to mention the great coffee available 24/7!!!! Our room was very clean and the hotel staff very attentive....they called the room shortly after our arrival, asking if all was good. Pets are welcome, which makes this the PERFECT hotel. We will be staying many more nights in the future!! THANKS LA QUINTA!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprised at this hotel. We were looking for an affordable place to stay for one night as we are on our way to a different destination. I had recently had a horrible experience with Quality Inn, and vowed to myself to never stay there again (VERY dirty, unclean, stains, smells, etc). I had given up hope on hotels in the $50-$75 range. This one was around $75 and thought I would give it a try. I was VERY surprised! The staff was very professional and friendly, even though we didn't check in till around 11pm. The room was updated and modern - flat screen TV, chaise lounge, and nice bathroom with marble vanities. The free breakfast was good too, there is a chef that asks you if you want a made to order omelet when you walk in. I would definitely stay at another La Quinta.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed in LOTS of hotels, motels, motor lodges, etc through work and vacations and this was one of my top 5 hotel stays ever! The lobby was spotless and very professional! The front desk clerk (I think her name is Jennifer) greeted me right as I stepped through the lobby doors. I had made a reservation through hotels.com about 15 minutes before I arrived at the hotel and she had all of my booking information pulled up in seconds! She was very thorough and professional but also friendly and made me feel very welcome. The room was beyond my expectations! Very up to date and contemporary decor. It's nice to see a modern flat screen TV in hotel rooms. The wifi was very fast. Definitely something I like! The bed was extremely comfortable. The linens were clean, crisp, and white. No stains or icky stray hairs. I didn't get to try the breakfast because I had to be on the road by 6 am but my husband said it was very good. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to all of my friends! Thank you for such a wonderful experience! Tripadvisor has rated them a 2 star but I would give them 4!

• Stayed June 2011
MJSLQ, Partner at La Quinta Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
We will pass along your kind words to Jennifer. We really do have some exceptional desk clerks. It is nice to see them mentioned by name by our guests. It sounds as if we have met your expectations for a hotel and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit. We hope you will have time to join us for breakfast next time.
Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at La Quinta in Conover for 3 nights. We’ve stayed at different classes of hotels all over the world and based on our experience, I would not stay here again.

The positives are: 1) it’s conveniently located right off of I-40 at Exit 128 2) breakfast is included in the rate & they offer made-to-order omelettes 3) fast, wireless internet in the rooms 4) seemingly clean rooms & if you forget toothpaste, deodorant, or a comb, you can pick one up at the front desk.

The negatives are: 1) the breakfast, though free, is not very good. The pancakes, French toast and eggs are nasty; the biscuits & sausage weren’t bad. It’s the worst breakfast (when compared to other breakfasts included w/room) that we’ve had. 2) The service overall is okay. We did meet one gentleman, Bill, who worked at the front desk who was extremely helpful & nice. 3) I had specifically asked for a quiet room, if possible, at the end of a hall. We were given a room on the main level only a few doors down from the lobby. By midnight, the noise outside the room in the hallway & lobby was so bad, I asked if they could switch our rooms. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked. I was told, when I called LaQuinta reservations that night, that the manager may reduce our rate due to the inconvenience of not being able to get to sleep. That never happened. 4) The walls are thin enough that you can hear your neighbor sneezing and you can hear every conversation, every flip-flop flopping out in the hallway. In addition, our room overlooked the parking lot where you could hear the loud car stereo bass kickin’ it. Finally, for some reason the plumbing is so loud that you can hear the toilets flushing above you and next door. After a while, we could tell when someone washed their hands after a flush and when they didn’t. 5) Finally, there are bed bugs, at least in our room. Thankfully, we’ve had only one other experience with bed bugs (at a WDW resort hotel, actually), so we know what to look for & what’s a bed bug bite and what isn’t. This room definitely had bed bugs.

The bad breakfast, the loud plumbing, the average customer service – I can deal with all of that. Not a big deal for what you’re paying, but I cannot tolerate the idea of having creepy crawly bugs feast on you in the middle of the night. It’s great being back home, but every itch and bite that pops up reminds of the awful La Quinta room. We chose this hotel based on the awesome reviews, but after re-reading the reviews, I did notice that most of the 5-star reviews are by people who’ve only posted a single La Quinta review & maybe one other which is a little suspect. Perhaps, we just got them on a bad weekend, but bed bugs are where I draw the line.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
MJSLQ, Partner at La Quinta Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
I am unsure where to start with a response to your review. First let me thank you for mentioning our good location, our fast high speed internet, and free breakfast. Thank you also for the kind words regarding Bill. He is representative of our caring associates. I apologize for any disturbances you experienced at the hotel. I really wish you had taken the time to report all the problems to the desk staff so they could be promptly resolved. Most issues can be resolved with a simple call to the front desk. ( I understand that you had complained of noise from the lobby at about 10PM. In response to that call the staff then closed the doors leading to the lobby.) However our desk was unaware that there were so, so many noises. In addition no report was made to the front desk regarding the "bedbugs." After being surprised by your posted review we immediately called in Ecolab and had them check your room and the neighboring rooms for bedbugs. They have certified that there are, in fact, no bedbugs in the rooms. At most hotels you can hear some noise from a toilet flushing in the room above and I am sure we are not the exception to that. (However I will have maintenance check the room above so if there are any unusual issues we will correct them promptly.) As for the thin walls I am baffled. Our walls between rooms are 8" thick poured concrete so I am at a loss to explain why you could hear through the walls. As for the hallways we have done our best to eliminate sounds from the hallway through the use of solid core doors with door sweeps but you may still hear any noisy folks in the hallway heading to their room. I realize the hotel was full on the weekend you were here and our otherwise quiet hotel may have been noisier than you would prefer. I was also surprised that our breakfast was not to your liking. We normally recieve high marks from our guests for the breakfast and we recieved no other complaints regarding the breakfast for the time you stayed with us. However I will make sure the staff reviews their procedures for re-stocking our hot items in our free breakfast buffet.
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

My wife was in her third trimester with twins and was in danger of preterm delivery. We lived 45 minutes from where I worked so the last 3 weeks of her pregnancy we stayed at La Quinta in Conover. This meant she was only 5 minutes from the hospital and from where I worked (I'm a physician). The room was very clean and the morning buffet was wonderful. More importantly than that was the staff (everyone) who became part of our family and kept an eye on my wife during those crucial last few days. Because we felt snug and comfortable, the twins were able to stay in "La Mama" a little while longer while we stayed at "La Quinta"...thus avoiding the NICU. Thank you so much!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
On behalf of our staff I want to thank you for your kind review of our staff and property. Congratulations from everyone. We wish you and your family all the best and hope you'll bring them by to visit! Thanks again for taking the time to give us such a great review.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Beautiful new hotel, spacious rooms and lots of amenities, including hot breakfast

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Hickory? Share your experiences!