“Concierge Service Rocks Our Birthday Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   10175 Weddington Road, Concord, NC 28027   |
Cary, NC
“Concierge Service Rocks Our Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked the Grizzly Suite for our son's 15th birthday celebration with his brother and their friends on MLK Day weekend. We received an e-mail a few days before our arrival informing us that we had been selected for GWL's new free VIP Concierge Curbside Check-In Service, as we are repeat customers. (I think this was our 8th visit to a GWL in 9 years.) We were invited to call a specific phone number where we gave our ETA, our vehicle model and color, and other info. They asked us to call the VIP number about 15 minutes before arrival, and they would have our roomkeys/waterpark pass bracelets ready for us at curbside, so we could completely skip the check-in line in the lobby and go straight to our room.

As we drove up on the very busy MLK Saturday around 3:30 pm, the driveway was flooded with arrivals and a multitude of minivans. A bellcap spotted our vehicle and called out to me by name and waved us up and made a spot for us right by the entry door. They confirmed that we were the right party and handed us a sleeve with our roomkeys/bracelets. Before we could blink, a bellcap had whisked our luggage out of the trunk and promised to meet us at our room. He even spotted a single empty parking space near the entrance to our hotel room and pointed it out to my husband. WOW! I was happy not to have to corral my group of 6 teens/pre-teens in the lobby while waiting to check-in. We have had a long wait at times and short ones on others. This time it was nice to skip it all together. Sometimes a bellcap was not to be found, so having one help us without a moment's wait was nice too, especially since we had luggage for 8 people plus a birthday cake and a cooler full of snacks, breakfast foods, and drinks to keep so many hungry kids satiated, without further breaking the bank.

The Grizzly Suite was perfect for our group. It had a master with a king bed and an en suite bathroom with tub. It also had a second separate bedroom with two queens and a second main bathroom with shower. The living area had a pull-out couch and a small table and chairs. A microwave, small fridge, and sink complete the area.

On check-out day, we requested an extra hour and were granted it as repeat guests. I've never seen GWL work so hard to recognize repeat guests before and hear it mentioned by so many staff. We liked the appreciation. A half hour before our delayed check-out time, we received a call from a bellcap to see if we wanted help. This was crazy good spoiling--we've at times requested help and finally given up as none were available. To have someone call and offer was amazing!

HOW COULD IT BE IMPROVED? The only "Disney-esque" factor that was missing in the concierge service was the lack of recognition of my son's birthday. Despite that fact that in our pre-arrival call a few days in advance the staff asked if we were celebrating an event, no special efforts were made on behalf of my son's birthday. If GWL really wants to have the full Disney level of special effects, it would be nice if there were a card or balloon or cookie or something appropriate for a teen left in the room congratulating him on his birthday. We did spend big bucks bringing a group of 8 and a card really costs almost nothing. He definitely did not want a birthday "package" with a cheesy poster on the door that's perfect for a young kid, but a nice birthday greeting from the concierge staff at arrival and something in the room would be super special, especially since they took the time to ask about a celebration and asked me to spell my son's name who was celebrating his birthday.

We brought cereals, milk, fruit, and donuts from home and ate breakfast in the room. Quick, healthy, cheap!

We ordered pizza from Hungry as a Wolf next to the Water Park for dinner. It was $24 for a meal deal of one large one topping pizza (very poor quality) with breadsticks (not so great), a large mixed green salad (fabulous--really high quality), and a 2 liter (usually $4 per 2 liter if not in the pkg), the second pizza was $8 extra (if you want more than 2, the price goes back up to $13 per pizza), They give you plates, cups, and napkins. The Grill in the pool area was nice enough to give me a pitcher of ice for the drinks when I asked. She did kindly offer to refill the pitcher with ice when I brought it back--BUT DIPPED THE PITCHER STRAIGHT INTO THE ICE HOPPER THAT EVERYONE'S DRINKS ARE FILLED FROM--THIS SAME PITCHEER THAT MY TEENS HAD AT THE TABLE FOR AN HOUR--I AM SURE THEY TOUCHED THE OUTSIDE OF IT WHEN THEY POURED IT. YUCK! Ice was kind and should be included, but ice should be refilled with a scooper or put into a fresh pitcher.

We had lunch at the nearby Mexican restaurant Cinco de Mayo's. They have a daily lunch buffet that is $10 per person, ages 10 and up. It was good but not great. It had vegetarian and kid friendly options, which worked for our diverse group of kids. There are lots of fast food places within a mile or two.

Meal packages in the pool grill are about $10. Kid ones are about a buck less.

Towels are plentiful and provided at the pool for free. The ice cream vending machine from last year was no longer there. It was very cool, but I'm happy to have saved the $7 per kid I would have spent! The room and pool area seemed very clean and in good condition. We could definitely see that an improved effort was made in keeping everything top notch!

The arcade is fun. My kids spend about $20 in an hour or so. The bowling (half length lane) is also very fun and is $5 a person. You just wear your usual shoes.

The life guards and staff were helpful, polite, and on task. SUPER JOB!

The mattress in our room was much improved and very comfy. The pillows are not Marriott quality but are no longer the horrible rocks we had in the past. BIG IMPROVEMENT!

SUGGESTION: Allow an option to book Spa treatments (specific times and services) on-line before arrival. Last visit we got there and couldn't find a time available when we wanted to use it. This would be a simple thing to fix! Or send an e-mail a few days ahead with the direct line to call and book services.

My sons' friends had not experienced GWL before and loved it. They will be great salespersons because they go back to school and talk about it. My kids had renewed fun because they could enjoy the park with their friends. It was a fun, memorable and perfect birthday celebration! THANKS for making such special memories for our family!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground or first floor room to make a short walk to the waterpark and avoid the MagiQuest c...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had a great first visit to Great Wolf. The facilities were excellent. We had a Kid Kabin on the water park level. The staff was very friendly and informative. We were pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of the rooms. We only ate two meals at the hotel, but found the food to be okay and on par for theme park or Disney pricing. This is a good mid-winter getaway. We will be coming back.

Room Tip: We were in room 1036 and had no issues with noise despite being on the water park level. We were ab...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have been to the GWL several times and have always enjoyed our stay. The staff is courteous and always happy to assist with whatever need. They recently changed from having Pizza Hut to selling their own brand of pizza. It was quite awful and left several of us feeling ill. The pull out couch was in desperate need of a new mattress but they did provide us with a foam one to put over it. Fun was had by all and I am sure we will return again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Concord! I am happy to hear that our pack members are fulfilling our promise to always make time for your family.

I appreciate your feedback regarding Hungry as a Wolf. We are always looking for ways that we can improve the guest experience and our dining options are a huge focus for us this year. Hopefully, you will see a change for the better the next time you stay with us.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Archdale, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was our first time to The Great Wolf Lodge to start with check in was pretty fast considering the crowd and the front desk check in team were super friendly . Some of the neater things were the wristband for the adults you can use them to get into your room or load money on them so you do not have to carry a wallet . The room seemed pretty clean at first we changed clothes and hit the water park and spent the majority of our time there. Then when it was time to get settled and eat we went to the room and bathed and changed clothes. This is when we discovered that the bathroom shower was poorly cleaned . There was soap build up from the previous people and rust with black mildew which to me indicated the lack of a thorough cleaning regularly. After the bathing we decided to go to the OVERPRICED buffet and the waitress was super slow and pretty much never there the food gave us all upset stomachs and if we were smart we would have just went to a nearby eatery (tons and tons of choices). To sum it up overall the staff was okay room was okay and water was okay if I knew i was going to spend that much money I would have continued on to Myrtle Beach the value was not there very expensive so explore other opportunities before commiting to this place. The kids did have a good time in the water park and game room but I think as many people that were there that they could do better on the pricing .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Concord! I am happy to hear we were able to get you checked in quickly and with the level of service we are proud of. However, I am concerned with your feedback regarding the cleanliness of parts of your suite. This does not meet with the expectations we have set forward for our Housekeeping team and I will be sharing this to see what improvements can be made before your next trip.

I do not know if during your reservation process it was mentioned to you, or it was mentioned by our Front Desk team, but we just instituted two different dining packages that you can use while staying with us at Great Wolf Lodge – Concord! Our Family Dining and Kids Dining packages are a tremendous value for what they offer and can make dining at the restaurant a breeze. For more information on this and all of the packages we have to offer, please visit http://www.greatwolf.com/concord/packages.

With price being a point of concern for you, you will be happy to know that you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts as they are released directly to your inbox that you can use to make that next trip more affordable!

We hope to see your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Mebane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This was THE place for families - so much do and the water park is great! The staff were all friendly and accommodating. The hair dryer in our room was broken. I called the front desk and maintenance was there in less than 10 minutes. The whole lodge is so clean and safe! Great weekend!

Stayed February 2014
Taylors, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was our second trip to the GWL in Concord (our first was back in 2011), and after a great first trip, I had high expectations for the return trip. From check-in to check-out the staff was completely fabulous. Check-in was fast and easy, and our room (the Wolf Den suite) was very clean and spacious enough for our family of five. During our weekend stay, we did EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything. The waterpark was great, although it was extremely crowded. The crowds do die down at night, though, so it was much more enjoyable from 7 PM to 9 PM. The lifeguards are amazingly attentive, and the waterpark is maintained very well - very clean, even with all of the crowds. Bowling, the theater, and the arcade were all great fun for the kids, but be aware of how much you're spending - it is easy to spend A LOT of money here. We ate in the restaurant for dinner one night and lunch the next day. The one complaint I would have is that children are only considered to be 10 and under, so we had to pay full price ($20) for my child to eat on the buffet, which is a lot considering she doesn't eat much more than my 7 year old. The prices from the menu for lunch the next day were about what we would pay anywhere else for our family to eat out, so I wouldn't say it's overpriced, but the food is pretty average - nothing special, but convenient since it's all right there. After a rough ride down the Howlin' Tornado, my back was extremely sore, so I decided a quick trip to Elements spa was in order. The prices of the spa are comparable to any other spa, and it's REALLY nice. Very relaxing, and the ladies working there were so awesome and friendly. I did a 30-minute therapeutic massage with Dorothea, and it was heavenly. I HIGHLY recommend the spa if you want to take a break from all of the rowdy activities for kids. We picked up some pizza from the on-site pizza place, and the prices were not bad (around $30 for two pizzas and some drinks) and the pizza was pretty good. Now...onto the bad, and anyone reading this, please take heed of this advice. The number of unsupervised children is overwhelming. I understand that this is a resort for families and a great place for children. However, parents need to understand that this isn't just a free-for-all or that staff should be babysitting. Kids were running wildly up the hall slamming into adults and other children while playing Magiquest with no parents in sight. These children would run into elevators ahead of waiting adults (and those waiting to get off), jump in front of other children waiting at Magiquest displays, etc. I saw children as young as 5 or 6 running around without supervision, as well as even younger children being watched by siblings no older than 10. In the water park, there were also unsupervised children just running around. I'm not really sure what these parents are thinking, but I know that the rules state that children should ALWAYS be supervised. I couldn't tell you how many children I saw without parents. On our last night at the resort, we got a very loud knock on our door at about 11 PM. Go to the door...no one there. I guess some kids thought it would be funny to loudly knock on doors at random? I don't know. Another complaint? Rude parents. While in the toddler pool with my youngest, there was a grown man crawling around the pool. That's creepy in itself, but when this man saw his daughter going down the slide, he suddenly rushes to get to the other side of the pool, almost knocking my daughter over in the process. Didn't say a WORD, either. There were several rude parents throughout the resort...standing and blocking the entire hallways talking (wouldn't move even when I said "Excuse me" several times), walking into small children, etc. It was really no question as to where the unsupervised children got their manners. So my advice to anyone going to this resort? PLEASE watch your children. While this is a fun place for children, use common sense and stay with your children. Enjoy the activities with them. The resort (and other guests) shouldn't be responsible for taking care of your children. And please, exercise some common courtesy to other guests. There are a LOT of people that stay here, so if everyone could be respectful of one another, it could make dealing with the crowds a whole lot less stressful. I don't blame the resort for any of this, however. Just lazy parents. All in all, we had a great time, and I loved enjoying all of the fun activities with my kids. We will definitely be coming back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

A great place to take the family! Next time we will stay longer. Too much to do in one nite. Plus there's great resteraunt s in the area. To top it off there's a huge mall close by. The Only thing I will ask for next time is a bigger blanket for the bed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!