“Okay not great” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Colfax
“Okay not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Had the meatloaf and was just okay. Corn was from current offering by local growers and was delicious! Mashed potatoes were lumpy unimpressive. Wife had fried okra and said was ok. She liked their potato salad.

Visited June 2013

Kernersville, NC
“Average is the right word.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have been here a couple of times and hadn't wrote a review because I really, really wanted to like this place. Supposedly it has been voted best breakfast/restaurant in the Triad (not sure by who). We have been here for breakfast and thought it was pretty good (to me, breakfast is kind of hard to screw up). Went last night for dinner, and it really is nothing special. I had the veggie/side plate with cabbage casserole, chicken casserole, pintos, and sweet potato souffle. All average. They serve you very large biscuits with home made apple butter..it looks really good..but it's just not! The apple butter has an almost chemical taste to it..I couldnt figure out what it is, possibly too much cinnamon? The biscuits look delicious, but they are really nothing special. My husband asked for real butter, because they only have the whipped spread on the table, and the waitress came back and said they were out until "tomorrow"? Huh? How are you out of butter at a restaurant? Especially one that happens to be at the farmer's market where they sell butter? The unsweet tea had also gone bad. We probably won't go here again, unless we happen to be at the farmer's market very early and want breakfast. I was very glad we had a $6 coupon so we didn't have to pay full price.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
High Point, North Carolina
“Out of Everything!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Came out to the Farmers Market and decided to eat here for an early supper. Came in about 4:30. We took some time looking at the menu before deciding what to order. Waitress made two trips to see if we were ready yet. The reason I say this is because when we did try to order, they were out of 4 of the main menu items!! Why did she not state that when she gave us the menu! And 2, why would they be out of things on a Sunday afternoon before most people even have supper. And this it not the first time, every time we have been here they are always out of the country fried steak. And the food here is just ok.

On another note, the bathroom was out of toilet tissue in every stall and also out of paper towels to dry you hands. And the bathroom was dirty. I am not sure how this restaurant is staying in business!!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Breakfast good. Supper bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've eaten breakfast at the Moose Cafe (while visiting the farmers market) several times and I've never had an issue. They can manage breakfast. The wife and I have tried their supper menu twice this summer and will not be going back. The second visit for supper was to see if we had just picked a bad night the first time, but on the second visit the meals were considerably worse.

On both visits the fresh tomatoes (in season) were of horrible quality. This surprised us since the Moose Cafe lives on the reputation of using fresh vegies from the farmers market. I can attest that they did not get these tomatoes from local farmers! If they did, they stored them in the fridge for a month before they found my plate. Just plain gross. The spinach salad might have been ok but any chance of a second bite was ruined by the cold mushy and (did I say) gross tomatoes that they had put on top of it.

Collards side dish was OK first visit even tho they leave in finger-sized stems that dominate the bowl. The second visit the collards were plain awful with a strange chemical odor.

Sweet potatoe was baked way too long and had no moisture remaining. Horrible. I notice when leaving that others were not eating their's as well. The replacement mashed potatoes were thick, pasty and dark in color. Very poor

The country ham slice was of good quality but cooked to leather. This cook has no clue how to prepare country ham.

Chicken and dumplings (I had high hopes) were dry, (no liquid at all) pastey and bland.

Biscuits and apple butter were the only eatable side on our table.

The wait girl was understanding and admitted that there had been issues and quickly offered other choices. Problem was, the substitutes were just as awful.

I'm from the south and love to eat and cook southern food. Most of this menu is simple and easy to cook correctly. Moose Cafe doesn't come close!

I might cautiously recommend breakfast but would recommend AVIODING their dinner menu unless the sign at the door states that the old cook has been fired and the new cook has a clue.

I agree with Mary... "Never Again!"

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Delicious breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I happened upon this restaurant kind of by accident, as we decided to visit the Farmer's Market for the first time ever on a Sunday morning recently. We were seated immediately, and our meal started with two massive and delicious buttermilk biscuits with apple butter on the side. To. Die. For. I had a ham and cheese omelette with piping hot home fries, and my husband had a huge sizzling skillet with potatoes, sausage, ham, eggs, peppers, onions, mushrooms and melted cheese all over it. We devoured it all. We're not huge breakfast people, but wow, this was really good food. Plus our server was superb. I wish we could remember her name, but she took great care of us.

We look forward to visiting again!

• 5 of 5 stars Food