“Outdated but nice.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins
745 Main Street, Chimney Rock, NC 28720   |
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Outdated but nice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I think some of the reviews are sugarcoated, but the motel needs some serious updating. The location is perfect. You can almost walk to chimney rock downtown. I agree with some of the post that you felt like you went back into time when you first enter the room. The river view and the nice grounds makes up for it. I think they would get repeated customers and profit more if they would update the rooms and make them look really nice.

• Stayed April 2011

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband and I spent Easter weekend at the Evening Shade. What a lovely experience! It is located less than one mile from the park entrance on the Broad River. The front is right on the main drive into the village. The park in the back of the facility was beautiful. They had swings, benches, a fire pit which was lit every evening, and gazebo with grill available right next to the soothing sounds of the Broad River rushing past. What a peaceful sound to sleep to.

We stayed in room #8 (Appalachian Retreat) which was nicely decorated (My husband loved the raccoons!) and clean. The balcony was nice to sit out on cool evenings either with a good book (or in my case a travel harp). Our hostess was very pleasant and outgoing. The beds themselves were reasonably comfortable and if I had anything negative to say at all, it would only be the street lamp was located right outside the window at the head of the bed which made for a bit of a garish night light (not really the proprietor's fault).

All in all, my husband and I found the Evening Shade a cozy, tranquil little jewel at a very economical price. We would definitely go back and/or recommend it to any of our friends or relations.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mount Holly, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at Evening Shade, celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. The staff was so nice, we had balloons and a card waiting in our room. We stayed in the Bear Den room. We loved the privacy of the room, it was decorated very nicely (loved the bear theme) and the room and bathroom was very clean. We had our own private deck overlooking the river. We loved the location, we were close enough to town to walk to everything. We met some really nice people. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Bear Den room has private deck
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

We are long term guests of Evening Shade in Chimney. Actually we have stayed no where else because you can't top the best! my oldest sister and her husband found Evening Shade in the early 70's, introduced it to my parents and then my siblings and now we are introducing it to our grandchildren who have a grand time playing in the river while we sometimes join them, relax in the swings or by the fire pit or enjoy a meal cooked on the grills and eaten under the gazaboo. I read some reviews and some were not to good. As they say, you can't please all the people all the time and some of the people can't be pleased any of the time. The managers they have now are the best. My sister and I sit by the fire until the early morning hours last month and the manager came to check on us and made friendly conversation. When the drink maching would not work he sent ice cold water! The next week my sister and her granddaughter went back and they loaned them a tube for the river/creek! We have always been memorized by that section of Chimney Rock...so much so my niece has brought property next door. We will continue our visits to the Evening Shade. Amenities are not needed. This resort is for relaxation, making new friends by the firepit and sightseeing. Who needs amenitities other than a clean, comfortable room with great people around.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

This was our first time @ the Evening Shade & it will definately not be our last. Each room has it's own theme. We stayed in the Wildflower room. It was decorated in Lavendar & White. Very Clean. Well maintained. Managers were there to help with anything special we might need. I loved the way the gounds outside was set up. It's right on the wonderful Rocky Broad River. Rushing water, kids swimmng, camp fires burning. We sat around the bombfire for hours & visited with people from all over. The price was very reasonable. I have already booked a room here for next month. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy, relaxing place. A place to forget all your troubles & be at peace with the sound of the rushing water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Lancaster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Arrived at 1pm, walked into a dark, dreary room; lighting very poor; bathroom barely able to turn around in. Room was hot so we went out for 2 1/2 hours to give it time to cool; never happened- in fact the temp kept going up; we decided to leave; manager called me to offer another room downstairs - he had already told me over the phone when making reservation that number 7 was the best of what he had available - I said no and asked if he was going to take this off my Visa. His answer was no - he wouldn't be able to rent it for the night -duh! He couldn't rent it anyway because the air was not working. Will not go back nor will I recommend to anyone!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Luck brought us to Evening Shade and hospitality made us stay! We were traveling and found ourselves in the beautiful Hickory Nut Gorge. Evening Shade was the first place we stopped. We looked at other places but were just wasting our time. We came back to Evening Shade and were very happy we did so. What a beautiful place! The campfire by the river is so inviting and relaxing and the hospitality of the managers far exceeds what you normally find. They were splendid! We will tell everyone we know to stay at Evening Shade and will be back often. We made a reservation for next month before we ever left!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!