“Cabin-like Inn tucked in the Mountains” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Esmeralda Inn to your Saves list
The Esmeralda Inn
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   910 Main Street, Chimney Rock, NC 28720   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
“Cabin-like Inn tucked in the Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The Esmeralda is a wonderful little Inn that's along the cliff side. The room was really clean and the bed was really comfortable. The Inn itself is well kept and gives off a homey vibe. Overall it was a great place to stay near Lake Lure.

• Stayed August 2013
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your review! We think of the Inn as home and want our guests to feel the same. We're glad you felt that when you stayed with us. Our beds are hard to top! We get many compliments on the beds and the linens.

We're in a great location, close to Chimney Rock Park and Lake Lure. There's a lot to do here!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Come again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Irmo, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Esmeralda Inn for an overnight getaway. We were impressed by the beauty of the setting and the basic cleanliness of the Inn, however, according to the Innkeeper at the time, we had to either get ice while she was there or wait until morning because "I'm the only one who can get ice for you." Rather odd that an Inn/restaurant would not have ice readily available for the guest 24/7. The Premium Mountain View King room was a bit small for the $219 per night rate. We also found "foreign" hair left in the shower and really didn't enjoy the bug that crawled across me during the night. I really wanted to give the Esmeralda a glowing review. IT's really a cozy inn with some very nice amenities. Hopefully the room we stayed in was an exception and my review doesn't keep anyone away. The overall properties are unique and nice, unlike any other accommodation you will find at Chimney Rock

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We just received our third in a row, 100% cleanliness rating from the NC Dept. of Health! Not a rating you will find in many establishments. We work very hard to maintain that rating, so finding a hair anywhere is certainly an anomaly. We apologize. It's summer and people open doors and windows. Unfortunately, an occasional insect will get in. Again, we apologize.

We are an Inn, not a chain motel, so our rooms are not as large as some. That's part of their charm! Dimensions of the rooms are included in the room descriptions on the website. Our Front Desk is not open all night, nor is our Restaurant. Ice machines are very noisy and we choose for our guests' experience to be one of quiet relaxation. We let guests know, so if they do want ice later, the Front Desk clerk or waitstaff can get it before the kitchen is closed and it's no longer available.

As an Inn, we can't be all things to all people, but every review helps us to improve our services. Please look at the overwhelmingly positive reviews we get on a regular basis. Better yet, we hope all who read this review will come check us out for yourselves! That's more fun!
WILMINGTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family enjoyed an unforgettable meal at the Esmeralda during our vacation in July 2013. There were four of us. The waitress brought us a plate containing a single cherry tomatoes on homemade soft mozzarella cheese to begin. We ordered the fried green tomato with pimento cheese and apple jelly made at the hotel (the jelly was an inspired addition that nicely set off the tangy cheese). A thinly sliced baguette with herbed olive oil for dipping arrived and the waitress brought us extra. We ordered the beef tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes (juicy and cooked medium rare to perfection), the pan-seared scallops and shrimp (sweet and tender), the veggie plate with an assortment of fresh, seasonal offerings (who knew eggplant could taste like that?), and the pecan-encrusted trout (a local favorite served on an amazing herb polenta). For dessert we split the orange creme brulee that was slightly warm, not too sweet with just the right amount of orange, and peach bourbon cheesecake that was nice and creamy, not too much bourbon. All in all, a wonderful, relaxing meal that topped off our four-day vacation at Chimney Rock. We had spent the day hiking to waterfalls in the DuPont Forest and were ready to be spoiled. The Esmeralda was up to the challenge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Wow! What a great review of the Restaurant! Chef George and his staff do a wonderful job and it's very gratifying to see their efforts so appreciated.

The trout is a favorite, and the beef tenderloin always gets great reviews. I would also recommend the mussels, my personal favorite!

We now have an excellent Wine List and exceptional selection of Beers to go with the best food in the Gorge.

You would also enjoy the Sunday Brunch. Eggs Benedict at their best. For pure decadence, try the Esmeralda French toast.

We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The Esmeralda Inn is by far the best place to stay in the area. Everyone on the staff makes you feel right at home, something rarely felt at "chain" hotels. Everything we ate in the restaurant was top notch. We even heard people at other tables around us complementing the great food. The beds and linens used in the guest rooms are of the highest quality as well. The bed is so comfortable that you forget you are not at home. The Esmeralda is an excellent place to stay and we cannot wait until our next trip there!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! I think it's the best place too, but I might be a little prejudiced. We all think of the Inn as home and want you to feel the same! We have a great staff, who genuinely enjoy their work and interacting with our guests.

We get many, many compliments on the beds. I'm glad you slept well! And enjoyed the food. Chef George and his staff do a wonderful job for us. Now that we can offer a nice Wine List and good selection of beers,the whole experience is even better!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Clemson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at The Esmeralda Inn in April, 2013 during a weekend while I attended a photography workshop at Chimney Rock. It is about 2 miles from the Chimney Rock entrance. The staff member there the day I arrived was super-friendly, welcoming and helpful.

This Inn is beautifully designed with an outoorsy-mountain atmosphere to it with a fantastic lobby that has a large stone fireplace and leather sofa seating. It also has a large front porch with a bench and rocking chairs to relax on.

You get two separate keys - one for your room and one for the Inn itself. The staff leaves at 10pm and doesn't come back until the next morning. So if you're out later than 10pm, you'll have to let yourself into the Inn. It's like having your own really large cabin!

The rooms are wonderfully comfortable. I stayed in a King room on the 3rd floor. There is a small "community" refrigerator on the hall that everyone can use. The rooms and bathrooms were extremely clean. I love that they had a separate washcloth for me to take off my makeup. I'd never seen that before!

The 2nd floor has a huge game/playroom space with large leather sofas, TV, separate tables for board games, a kitchen, pool table, etc. It'd be a great place for families to hang out and spend time together. You can sit on an outside deck off this floor, too, overlooking the front entrance.

During the late afternoon, early evenings, the cook prepares h'orderves and puts them out for a pre-dinner snack. I believe their was cheese and wine as well. I have not yet enjoyed the dining at The Esmeralda Restaurant but their menu looked excellent.

I didn't use it but there is a jacuzzi and big stone fireplace out back with tables and chairs. A very cool, rock/stone, outdoor entertainment area.

Depending on when you go, it can be pricy, compared to other places in the Chimney Rock Village. But if you really enjoy comfort away from home, this is a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the great review! Our goal is for every guest to feel at home, relax and enjoy all The Esmeralda has to offer. The Game Room is a favorite spot! We do have some very nice public areas, with views and even an outdoor fireplace. Next time, you'll have to try the S'mores Survival Kit!

We now have our liquor license! Which means we have an excellent Wine List and extensive selection of Beers. What it also means is, we can no longer offer Wine and Cheese hour, but we still have great refreshments available between 4-5pm. We hope you'll have Dinner with us next time.

It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay. We hope you'll return soon and next time, bring a swim suit!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiancée and I spent a rainy weekend at The Esmeralda. We enjoyed two delicious meals at the Inn. The pastries were delicious and my fiancée raved that the shrimp and grits were the best he ever had. The bedding was luxurious as were the thick bath towels. We enjoyed playing pool, air hockey, and foosball in the game room as well as rocking on the terrace. Our room had a beautiful view of the mountains and we took advantage of the proximity to Chimney Rock for a nice hike to the chimney and exclamation point. We enjoyed the peacefulness and will come again!

• Stayed July 2013
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for the thoughtful review. Even in the rain, this is a beautiful area.
Our Game Room has been very popular with all the rain we've had!

I may be a little prejudiced, but I think we have the best restaurant in the Hickory Nut Gorge. Our Chef focuses on fresh local foods wherever possible.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the many amenities we offer our guests.
Come again soon. We'll order sunshine!
Evans, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a couple of nights at the Esmeralda Inn for my birthday. This was my second visit to the Inn since I stayed there the previous fall with friends to enjoy the fall colors. I have already made reservations to return this fall. The Chimney Rock/Lake Lure area is one of my favorite getaway spots. The Inn is a very elegant and comfortable place to stay in this area. My husband and I particularly enjoyed sitting on the terrace outside the game room listening to the sounds of the Broad River. The food is excellent whether it is dinner or breakfast in the dining room or the complimentary breakfast served in the game room during the week. I have stayed in the front corner rooms overlooking the mountains which I consider the best rooms; one has a king size bed, the other, two queen beds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! We are in the best possible location for relaxation. The sounds of the river and the views are hard to beat. Even if you don't stay in one of the Premium View rooms, the Terrace is open to all our guests, along with the Front Porch and the Deck off the Dining Room. You can enjoy the sounds of the river and the view from any one of these spots.
We love it when guests return again and again. It lets us know we're doing things right!
I'm glad you enjoyed The Restaurant. We just introduced our Summer menus - a little lighter fare. And now we have an excellent Wine & Beer List.

Wee look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!