“The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant is especially charming!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   910 Main Street, Chimney Rock, NC 28720   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pineville, North Carolina
“The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant is especially charming!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We were there Nov. 9/10, 2011 and the one night Breakfast Package was the perfect way to celebrate my 51st birthday. It was a mid-week stay and off-season, so we encountered only two other guests, and we were able to really explore the place without reserve...delightful. The room was very very clean, with plush bedding and fine appointments. The in-room Bose "Wave" radio is a nice touch. The views are spectacular. The food was delicious and presented beautifully. Even the room service exceled. We look forward to next year, same time, same place.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 and 4 have exxceptional views.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I think late Fall and Winter here are wonderful! It is quieter and less hectic. I'm glad you enjoyed having the Inn pretty much to yourselves. We think it's the little extras that make The Esmeralda so special. And the views of course!

We look forward to seeing you next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Mooresville NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My daughter-in-law and son had their wedding at the Esmeralda Inn and it was PERFECT! We had the Inn for the weekend of the wedding and everything was amazing!!!! The staff was very friendly and eager to do anything to help. I could not find one thing that didn't leave a good impression. I do not understand how they are not rated #1 because everything about the place is perfect!!! When you sit on the side of the bed, it is so comfortable that you can feel your body relax. Amazing! The restaurant was great. Every meal the chef would come out to ask if everything was good. Well, it was always excellent! Our waitress was Scout and the best that has ever waited on any of us. I wish she could have been there for the reception. I have never left anywhere feeling so relaxed. No one in my group wanted to come home, we enjoyed being there so much. On the way home we were planning our next trip and now, planning to spend our next Thanksgiving at the Esmeralda Inn. Everything
about our stay was great. The Inn is relaxing and cozy and you are close to everything you
may want to do while in the mountains. What I liked most is you have everything you need
without leaving the Inn. You haven't lived until you stay at the Esmeralda Inn.

Room Tip: Mountain view on front side.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review! We really enjoyed having your group stay with us. It is our goal to make every guest feel at home and to provide a relaxing atmosphere. I'm glad we succeeded!

I like to think we have the best Restaurant in the Gorge, but I may be a little prejudiced. Chef Michelle enjoys meeting her guests and making sure, first hand, that everything is right. Scout is wonderful, with a great sense of humor! She is but one of the skilled servers we are so lucky to have with us.

We'll save a place at our 2012 Thanksgiving table for you!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed there during our mini-honeymoon. When we checked in there was a wine and cheese reception, which we gladly took advantage of. With the wedding being the day before we arrived we needed the treats and the relaxation. We enjoyed the fire and settled into the comfy chairs in the lobby. A bottle of champagne and a couple of glasses waited for us in our room. I had called ahead to let them know we had just gotten married. It was a nice treat.

The second floor of the hotel has a game room. One evening we played pool, and another evening we enjoyed leftovers from a nearby Italian restaurant on the huge sectional couch facing the flat-screen TV.

One thing I will mention, although this has no negative affect on the review, is that the fire alarm woke us up around 1:30 one morning. It was a windy evening and smoke from the fireplace in the lobby went back down the chimney and set off the alarm. Although it wasn't fun dealing with that in the wee hours of the morning, in the end it makes for a great honeymoon story. When we dined in the restaurant a couple of nights later they gave us a free dessert for our troubles. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent.

The bed was comfortable and the bathroom amenities were very modern. I'm very picky about bathrooms so I appreciated that. This is probably the only hotel I've been to that has a remote control for the air conditioner.

We would stay here again. The staff was friendly and the hotel was cozy, with great views of the mountains and the falling leaves. Just what we needed to celebrate being newlyweds.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Thank you so much for the great review! We're glad you could spend such a special time with us. Every honeymoon needs it's story, so I guess our fire alarm fit the bill. You were very gracious and we appreciated your understanding. Nothing like a little excitement!

It is our goal to make every guest feel as comfortable as we possibly can. We switched to the more environmentally friendly toiletries a little over a year ago. They are very popular with our guests. I'm glad you liked them.

I think we have the best Restaurant in the Gorge, so it's good to hear you enjoyed your dinner with us.

Please come again soon. It was a pleasure having you with us.
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Celebrating 50 years of marriage, my husband and I wanted this occasion to be in a most wonderful place. Wow! Were we in for a delightful treat. The weather was turning cooler and upon arrival the fireplace looked and smelled so great. The Inn was decorated for autumn and fresh hot coffee and apples were on the entry table. Aileen Kelly, one of the owners, was there to check us in and it was like being greeted by a relative in her home. Our room was just lovely. We had a corner room that looked out upon the trees with gorgeous changing leaves. Bed linens were exquisite and the bathroom amminities were of the finest label. At dinner, Chef Michelle prepared for us an 8 ounce filet and a parmesan wrapped fish.- perfectly cooked and beautifully presented by our server, Walter. Pumpkin Brulee topped it off. After dinner we went outside to the patio to sit by the fireplace and enjoyed the company of a young couple as we all took a turn at putting on another log. Morning breakfast was not only plentiful and delicious, but priced at a bargain. Doug Kelly came by as he had the night before at diiner just to say hello and to thank us for coming to the Esmeralda Inn. Such hospitality and elegance in cozy Chimney Rock, NC.

Room Tip: A room with a view was our preference so we could see the gorgeous trees from our bed.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We're glad you chose to spend your anniversary with us. Fall here is so beautiful. Every thing is changing and sitting outside by the fire is still very comfortable. Chef Michelle has come to us fairly recently and is doing a great job. I'm delighted everything was to your satisfaction!

Aileen and Doug have been the owners of the Inn for almost a year and a half. Their presence and personal touches to the Inn have made this a wonderfu place for our guests and for the staff.

Please visit us again soon.
Georgetown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Three nights in a comfortable, quiet retreat lwft my wife and I relaxed and very full. The staff is friendly and personable and eager to take care of every request. The in house restaurant was frequently not busy but seved large portions of excellent food. The crab stuffed trout was my favorite. We had a direct view of Chimney Rock from our room's window. The Esmeralda was close enough to tempt us to actually climb the 482 steps to the top of the Rock. We loved our stay but felt that after happily paying a premium price for our room, we were nickel and dimed on little surprises such as being charged an additional $2 for a refill on a glass of coke.

Room Tip: The mountain view queen is worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. It's hard to beat our views of Chimney Rock. I'm sorry you were charged for a soda refill! This was an error and I apologize for the inconvenience. I hope you'll visit us again and the Coke is on me!
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I've stayed in nice places,but,nothing like this!!The staff is friendly and helpful.The guest game room is fantastic.The best server in the restaurant,2 thumbs up to her!!Very nice room,the bed is super comfortable.I stayed up late roaming around the inn,it feels like home!!My overall experience was fantastic!!I had passed it several times thru the years going to Lure Woods to look at the area where Dirty Dancing was filmed.The whole area is a special place.I would recommend The Esmeralda to every body I know and meet!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. We think of the Inn as home and are pleased when our guests feel the same. We get so many compliments on the beds and the linens. I'm glad you had such a good experience! The entire Hickory Nut Gorge is a special area.

Please come back soon, and bring friends! Winters here are lovely. It's very quiet and we have warming fires burning. You'll enjoy it!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed at the Esmeralda for our 5 year anniversary and it could not have been more perfect. It was so quaint and the service was fantastic. From the wine and appetizers that were out when we arrived to the delicious coffee and mountain views we got to enjoy in the morning. The room was beautiful and the views were priceless! The food was so yummy and very reasonable from a price standpoint. A very special thank you to Sharon for helping to make our stay even more special. We were sad to leave and are already planning a return trip where we will stay longer.

Brian and Stacie

• Stayed October 2011
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
It was a pleasure having you with us! Thank you for the great review. This is a special place. We are so fortunate to be in the location we're in and have the great staff we have. You'll have to come later in the fall when the colors are spectacular. Or come for Christmas. We have the tree up and the fireplace blazing away. It's very romantic!

I'm glad we could be a part of your celebration.

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!