“Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Easton
“Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel/motel in early May. The town of Cherokee itself was relatively quiet as it was the offseason. This made for a descent price on the hotel. I stopped in without reservations and was able to get a room with two queen size beds. It was extremely spacious and had a small sitting area. Overall the room was clean. My only issue... and it is a small one... is that the furniture in the room was rather worn with some holes in the fabric of the couch and one of the chairs. The staff in the morning, particularly in breakfast room was extremely polite. I did enjoy the calm and scenic river view when waking up in the morning as well.

I have this hotel a very good rating due to the large room size, descent breakfast selection, and river view with balcony. As mentioned, some general updating of furniture can be done which is why I did not give it a perfect rating. That being said, if staying for a few nights, I think you will enjoy this hotel/motel and get a descent rest.

Room Tip: The hotel has two floors. If you do not like climbing stairs, be sure to ask for the ground level...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This review is of the Comfort Inn On the River, 44 Tsalagi Rd. We noticed another Comfort Inn also in Cherokee, NC. It was not busy when we were there, so they gave us a free upgrade to a nonsmoking king suite. It was clean and spacious, although there was no microwave or refrigerator even though there was an obvious space for where they had been or would logically go. But I can't complain, having received the free upgrade to the suite. The room did indeed have a balcony with a river view. We were also able to eat breakfast outside on a deck overlooking the river, a nice way to begin the day. The brekafast was an "expanded" continental, adequate enough. There was always fresh fruit. We deliberately chose this location on the other end of town from the casino and tourist shops. It was also very reasonable priced, at least on weekdays in April. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This facility has a great location and is very well maintained and offers a good buffet breakfast. If you book online through the Choice Hotel website this facility offers a very good rate to those who are serving our country in the military or have retired from a career in the military. I will definitely return! Only negative thing was front desk personnel not as pleasant as one normally woudl expect.

Room Tip: Book your room via Choice Hotel website for best discount.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunset Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Newer property, Large suite type room, very clean and good hot breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

OVERVIEW:
After arriving in Cherokee, NC late at night during our recent NC road trip, we decided to stay at this hotel at the spur of the moment, because they have river view balconies. Prior to booking a room, while we were parked at the hotel parking lot, I called the front desk and asked if they accept AAA rate. The male clerk told me that there are no discount available whatsoever. I then decided to book a room online via Choice Hotels website using my iPad and managed to secure a room for approximately 20% lower than what the front desk clerk quoted me. Furthermore, the website clearly states that they do honor AAA discount.

Upon checking-in, the night male clerk, Quinn, whom I spoke to over the phone, was very inattentive. He was too occupied behind the computer, barely glancing at me while I stood by the front desk. I gave him my confirmation number, and informed him that I was the one that called earlier, and that the hotel website do honor AAA discounts. I was exhausted and I just wanted to get a room, so I chose not to pay attention to his lack of professionalism.

After getting settled in our hotel room and convinced that this hotel somewhat meet our standard, we decided to book it again for one more night via ChoiceHotels.com. I went back to the front desk and gave the male clerk our confirmation number for my second reservation and told him that we would like to stay in the same room. Once again, he barely acknowledges me, as he was extremely focused on the computer. I then asked him (with a tone) if I am bothering him. Only then he realized my existence and decided to give me his precious time and verify my reservations for the next day. However, on the day we were checking out, it came to light that my credit card was double charged. There were two separate rooms charged under my name on the same date. Somehow, I’m under the impression the mistake was rather intentional. I asked for the manager, yet, not surprisingly, he was indisposed of at that given time. I ensured that the issue was rectified and proper documentation was printed out before I finally checked out.

This hotel is an average rating. However, due to UNSATISFACTORY CUSTOMER SERVICE and incompetence, I gave this hotel a “one star” rating. Their customer service is a DISGRACE to the industry. I highly recommend for other travelers to stay somewhere else.

TRAVEL DATES:
February-2012

LOCATION:
Five minutes away from downtown Cherokee and the casino.

POSITIVE NOTES:
All rooms have patios with a river and mountain views. The breakfast is sufficient and meets the standard.

NEGATIVE NOTES:
Although, the public areas such as the breakfast room and lobby are well maintained, the hotel rooms, on the other hand, are in need of a makeover. No guest laundry facility. Wi-Fi capability is below average. The parking areas are not properly lit.

AMENITIES:
Continental breakfast; Free Wi-Fi; Coffee Maker; Hairdryer; Clock/Radio; Balconies with river/mountain views.

NIGHTLY RATE:
Low $60s after Choice Hotels membership discount

DISCOUNT ACCEPTED:
-Choice Hotels membership discount. (Must be booked online).
-They do honor AAA discount.

HELPFUL TIP:
1) If all possible, take your business elsewhere. There are other hotels in the area that has balconies with a view, and better customer service.
2) Ensure your credit card is not double charged.

NOTES:
Please click the green “YES” button below if you find this review helpful. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kokomo, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Nice location right on river, balcony with private view of river, nice larger rooms. Property looks and is nice. Good free brakfest, one of the nicer comfort inns.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Uvalda, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is a very nice place to spend the night in Cherokee. It is not the most modern place I've ever stayed, but for the price it was just right. My wife and I had a nice view of the river, the lady who ran the continental breakfast was very nice, and the free breakfast was great. It is about a two minute drive to the casino - warning, BYOB -drinks are expensive and Cherokee is dry. Bryson City is the nearest place to buy beer besides the casino. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Second floor river view was very nice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Cherokee? Share your experiences!