“nice, new and friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Cherokee/Casino

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Cherokee/Casino to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Cherokee/Casino
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   376 Painttown Road, Highway 19 and Highway 441, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 27 hotels in Cherokee
Rome, Georgia
“nice, new and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

I stayed one night in Cherokee at the Holiday Inn Express, it is directly across from Harrah's Casino. I was with my teen age daughter and visiting a local college. We found the hotel clean, well lighted, and the folks at the desk were friendly and helpful. It was a bit loud with folks coming and going from the casino at all hours, but my daughter didn't hear anything. She had her laptop and was thrilled to have free wi-fi, so she could keep up with her friends back home. The continental breakfast was excellent and the dining area was very nice - complete with fireplace. We aren't interested in the casino, but if you need a close place to stay this is it!! We may go back, as the area is beautiful and right at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park....a good location for exploring the trails and vistas of this area.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

Spent 2 nights there while attending a festival near-by. The biggest plus is the hotel was only a few short miles from the festival and was very conveniently located for this particular stay.

The walls seemed a bit thin, I heard the TV in the next room early one morning and I wasn't very happy about that. Also, I noticed an odd odor in the hotel when I first walked in, I am guessing it was some kind of disenfectant/cleaner that smelled horribly.

When I checked in, the desk clerk was very nice and courteous. She seemed to be a bit lost when trying to locate my reservation even after I took extra time to spell my name for her. She apologized for the miscommunication and I thanked her for her courtesy.

All in all, not the absolute best hotel I have stayed in, but could have been much worse. I will probably find another hotel in the area next time since this one failed to ''knock my sox off''.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Troy, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

My wife & I stayed here the least week in July. We spent 5 days in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and the last 2 days in Cherokee. We tried to get a room at the Casino hotel but they were booked up. Not being big gamblers we weren't so much interested in the Casino but heard the attached hotel offers great deals on rooms to attract guests. PLUS, it's the tallest building in the area and is said to offer breathtaking views of the mountains surrounding Cherokee. But again they were full, so we settled for the Holiday Inn Express across the street

The HIE cost us $71 for Thurs. night but jumped to $117 for Friday night. Its a nice looking newer hotel but for some reason there was always a funny smell in the hallways. Like that strange cooking smell you sometimes notice when you walk into someone's home for the first time. The room was nice and clean with a firm, comfortable bed, but the blanket on the bed was the worst we've ever slept under. Stiff as a board and very uncomfortable. Almost like an old canvas tarp. There was no small refrigerator in the room like we had in PF/GB but that was a minor inconvenience as there was an ice machine around the corner from our room.

There was something missing that we had never thought to ask about when booking our room. There are no balconies on any of the rooms. This might seem picky to some, but once you see the gorgeous scenery you'll understand why many of the other hotels in the area have balconies. And some are even built right over mountain streams and rivers. We wish we had picked a better location. Our room overlooked a large propane tank and the back of the restaurant next door. Except for a small number of rooms facing the highway, most rooms here have no view, unless you consider the parking lot a great view.

This is also a very noisy hotel. Since it is across the street from the Casino, which is about the only thing open after 10PM, it attracts a lot of people who come back to their rooms at very late hours. And many of these people seem to have a little trouble walking a straight line! For a place that doesn't sell alcohol, even in the Casino, we encountered more drunks in Cherokee in 2 days than we did in PF/GB in 5. Evidently people know they can't buy beer on the Reservation so they arrive with a well stocked cooler in the trunk of their car. My wife and I aren't prudes and enjoy a cold one as well as anyone else, but we also realize that when you stay at a hotel, you should be considerate of other guests when going back to your room. There were some very loud and rude people on our floor.

The free breakfast was pretty good. They offer some great cinnamon rolls as well as the usual toaster waffles, French toast, a nice selection of yogurt, fruit, juices and milk, ect. It does get a little crowded and I would suggest another or bigger toaster as quite a few guests end up standing around waiting to use the one 4 slice toaster.

They have a small but nice pool area and exercise room that seems to be kept clean throughout the day, unlike our experience in PF/GB. This isn't the worst place we've ever stayed in but overall we were disappointed in the bland view and all the noise. Again, if you're here just to gamble at the casino and don't mind a bunch of noisy drunks this might be the place for you. But if you're going to travel to one of the prettiest parts of this country to enjoy the fantastic mountain scenery and want to enjoy a good nights sleep, you might want to stay at one of the other hotels in the area.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

My husband and I visited Cherokee Holiday Inn Express. I was amazed at the hotel being that it was located in a small town. The rooms were clean and AC was working very well. One thing that I must say, for the amount that we paid, the beds were of low grade. We were basically sleeping on the floor as they were so low. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cherokee/Casino? Share your experiences!