“Wonderful Hotel and the Best Staff Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Magnuson Hotel Great Smokies Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1636 Acquoni Road, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Cherokee
Morganton, North Carolina
“Wonderful Hotel and the Best Staff Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I booked a night at the Great Smokies Inn in Cherokee North Carolina in July 2013. The Hotel was very nice, modern and clean. The staff was awesome! Very friendly and helpful. I used the computer in the lobby and needed to print something from Map Quest. I didn't see a printer near the computer, but pressed print anyway. The gentleman behind the front desk handed me my print out. The next morning we were on our way after a restful nights sleep. ( The beds were so comfortable!) About 2 hours into our trip we realized that we had forgotten our pillows. On our way back we called the hotel and they had bagged our pillows up and had them waiting for us to pick up. They had all ready called our house and left a message on our answering machine. Thank you Brooke, Teresa and Amy for taking the time to give us helpful information about Cherokee and for making our stay at The Great Smokies Inn so enjoyable! We are coming back this weekend. Can't wait!! :-)

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor and towards the back.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
York, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was also booked here through Harrah's. And I will NEVER stay here again. Even though I reserved a smoking room, does not mean I should be put in such a poor room. I complained to the front desk that my room smelled sour like mold. All they did was spray air freshener. And didn't even offer a different room. At night the bed just felt wet and grimy. When I woke up the next morning, my sleep clothes were wet. The rooms are out dated and dusty. Even the ceiling has patches from water damage. It was just GROES!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Broadway, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Staff was very nice, they not only hornored a seinor discount but they also hornored the AARP discount. They made sure we were on the first floor so my mom and aunt did not have to walk up stairs. There were two queen beds in the rooms along with a mini fridge. The rooms were very clean and evey nice. The beds had 4 nice pillows each and the linens where very nice and clean. Nice pool, nice area, with shops close, Cherokee has kept to there tradtions, restaurants and shops do close early, but on the weekends you can go to the bonfire in the park and listen to the Indian stories. You have Mingus Mill, and lets not forget the Elk. There is the Casino and Bingo. If you need the tourist trap as Galtinburg and Piegon Forge then Cherokee is not for you. If you want a nice relaxing time stay in Cherokee, stay at the Magnuson Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Smelly room. Beds very hard pillows too. Close to busy road so noisey.Small town with alot of stores that sell junk. Ride through to Gatlingburg and get a room there only an hour away. Not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrollton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were comped this room through Harrahs. After reading some of the reviews, I was almost dreading the stay. I considered canceling and staying somewhere else at my own expense. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was kind and helpful. I will stay there again given the chance without any qualms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were comp'd one night at this hotel through the casino. BIG MISTAKE!! The second night of our trip we were able to get into the casino. While unpacking there I realized I left my silk robe hanging on the back of the bathroom door at The Great Smokies Inn. I call of course and I'm told that in 30 mins housekeeping will be finished for the day and they should be able to give me an answer about my robe. That wasn't good enough. I got in the car and drove back over there. At that time they informed me that they had found my robe but it was "soiled" and their policy was to throw away all soiled items found in rooms. WHAT?? This was a silk robe. It wasn't soiled. It was very expensive. Whose hotel policy is it to find a personal item obviously mistakenly left behind and take it and throw it away? It cost over $100. So it either has to be this hotel has no honorable lost and found to speak of OR if you have mistakenly left something behind has this management given the green light to its cleaning staff to take what it wants. Maybe it's both? I had a silk robe. They allowed their cleaning staff to supposedly call it soiled and they claimed to have trashed it. I even offered to come over and look for a bit in their receptacles!! They assured me that they had already been picked up. They never offered anything other than "I'm sorry". I'm sorry too, sorry I stayed at your hotel. It stinks to be stolen from.

• Stayed June 2013
georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We were given a nights stay from Harrahs. We have stayed in several of the area hotels and this is the worst one so far. The rooms were clean and we didn't mind the TV not being a flat screen but the beds were very uncomfortable. The outside notice was bad. People were leaving in the morning early and you could hear every noise they made. Also, there is no continental breakfast.The employees were very nice but we want be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Magnuson Hotel Great Smokies Inn? Share your experiences!