“Lucky Casino/ Great Rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

777 Casino Drive, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Ohio
“Lucky Casino/ Great Rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We just returned from a two night stay in a Mountain Premium Room comped from Harrahs! Beautiful room and very clean! Hotel and casino does reek of cigarette smoke even in the hotel hallways, but it is a casino! Found the casino very lucky on Video Poker- I hit like crazy the first night and had a ball! Buffet was good as well! There is construction going on which is limiting in some ways, but it did not disturb us much!

The only bad things were the front desk lady flat out lying to me about not having a room ready for early check in. The manager overheard the conversation and said that there were rooms available and to check me in. The lady then tried to change her story- too late.... The Seven Sisters Diamond Lounge service was HORRIBLE! One old man waiting on everyone- I literally had to yell to get service and then I got one drink for 45 minutes. What a way to treat premium players.

People need to realize that this is entertainment not a way to get rich and they will have a good time! I have played at Casinos all over and this one is no more loose or tight than the rest!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I used to play at the Harrah's in Atlantic City which I loved. I am by no means a high roller, but I would frequent the casinos regularly, and believe me, they have gotten their money's worth out of me. However, I never seemed to mind because I realized that I was spending money on entertainment - pure entertainment. Some music, some action, fun games, and of course, to top it all off - a few drinks.

Harrah's Cherokee is completely dry. The county is dry (so even if you wanted to bring some in to your room at the end of the night you'd have to drive 15 miles!)

At the risk of sounding like a lush, I have to say that I am APPAULED that an adult cannot enjoy a glass of wine in the evening at this casino. NOT even with DINNER at their restaurants.

Furthermore, you'd think it would be in their best interest to do so. They are the only game in town for most (the Carolinas, Georiga, etc.) so you think thattheir business would more than triple if they were smart enough to serve. I've been two times (I'm a diamond member) and will NEVER return. I would be going once a month if it were otherwise.

In the mean time, I'll be heading to Vegas or AC when I can.

elizabethton,tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

great service/rooms very nice and very clean.plenty of good resturants near by.Casino is tight but hotel is great

Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Harrahs in Cherokee is an all-electronic casino that is constantly under construction and very unkind to gamers. But the hotel is terrific. Rooms are spacious and beautiful, views of the mountains from the windows are magnificent, restaurants are reasonable and offer a huge variety, staff is friendly and helpful, and the beds sleep as well as any we've ever experienced. At the rack rates, it's not such a bargain, but with the perks the casino offers (like 3 nights a month free!) it's a terrific value! The only drawback, if you don't mind loosing in the casino, is the constant construction going on. But for a few hours of fun in the casino, and a wonderful stay in the Smokeys, this hotel is unbeatable!

NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Have stayed and played here 10 times. The Selu garden cafe is your best bet for decent food. Sycamore's has a nice atmosphere but the food is overpriced and sub par. The Fresh Market buffet is worse than Golden Coral. 5 stars for the friendly and always helpful staff. The construction isn't really an inconvenience except they took away the self parking garage and made it valet only and they keep closing off different areas of the casino floor and machines disappear or get moved around. Chances are you'll have a hard time finding your favorite slot next visit. Other than that we have fun every time we stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I'm not sure even sure where to begin. For starters, I have only returned to this "smoke stack" because I've walked away with cash...probably more an indication of my stamina due to several of the things I'm going to comment on.

The casino staff are a complete joke. I'm really not certain if this staff is skilled enough to house break by dog. They are not attentive, the server rarely checks in to serve a drink (Pepsi products that is...forget about beer or wine...one must first find it on property), hosts are non-existent and for the most part unhelpful and everyone altogether has a perspective that you owe them something. Frankly, I have not encountered one person working for Cherokee that realizes that they are there because WE are there.

Now, let me move onto the hotel. If you're comfortable in a Motel 6 or comparable type property, this may be a adequate place to rest your head. If you have expectations that are based on other Harrah/Casino experiences, I would recommend you pass this one up...you will be disappointed!!!! Some of the room lights did not work, the switches have illumination lights that flicker when you're trying to sleep, the HVAC system is terribly noisy. The bed, pillows, and covers needed replacement over a year ago....the entire experience could be surpassed by any Motel that rents by the hour (never been to one...buy you get the point). I had a comp for my room, and the front desk staff never asked me for a credit card (I didn't think of either upon check in). I attempted to use the phone, and they required me to go all the way back downstairs from the 16 floor to provide my credit card before I could access a local line....what gives????

The other reviews that I've read on here about he smoke, staff, casino, etc are accurate. I would opt to pay for somewhere else going forward. This hotel/casino is a complete joke, and they have absolutely no understanding or appreciation for the guest experience. If I didn't give the entire experience several different attempts, I wouldn't make such strong statements. If you move forward with arrangements to visit Harrah's Cherokee....I wish you the best of luck--you're going to need it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
south carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Went this past weekend.....It seems like they know when you are on a winning streak..... I can win in the first hour that I am there and then for the next 3 hours you dont win anything...I love the quick hit machines ($1.00).Its like the machines are on a schedule...You get on a good run for about 45 mins and then they all go dead...What's up with that....Anyway ....I go about 2 or 3 times a month ( my fault I keep giving them all of my money back) Nothing else is close to where we are (3 hour drive to harrah's) Talked to alot of people there while playing and they say Harrah's has the tightest machines..
Hotel is vey nice.....food in the casino is ok....frest market ok....buffet is good sometimes and sometimes not so.....little expensive when they have crab legs...
People that work there are very nice...always willing to help you or get someone to help you...
Rooms are always comped....not sure if I had to pay for room that I would go as often....trying Tunica this weekend....Will see if I have better luck there...maybe it is just my bad luck and not there slot machines....
I think it is worth a trip or 2....it is located in a beautiful place.......

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!