“Nice Hotel - Nice golf course - TERRIBLE customer service!!” 3 of 5 stars

Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel
777 Casino Drive, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Hotel - Nice golf course - TERRIBLE customer service!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked a stay and play golf package here for 3 days. When we checked in not one person working the counter knew what the stay and play package was or what it included. After a 45 min delay by the staff calling and asking their managers what the package included- we finally got checked in to our rooms. When we arrive at the golf course to tee off they inform me we have to pay cash for two people because they were not included in our package because the front desk screwed up our check in - then spent another 30 min on the phone. Not one person apologized to us or even cared how bad the employees at the hotel screwed up our trip!
Make sure you print out ALL confirmations and any info the hotel sends you because the employees are CLUELESS! Be prepared to show them proof of what you booked.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My girlfriend and I love to gamble. Living near Chapel Hill, NC - it's taken us awhile to finally drive out and check out Harrah's Cherokee Casino. We did not stay at the casino - because if you haven't found out already - it's impossible to get a room there on the weekend. We stayed across the street though at the Fairfield Inn, pricey at $180/night but its clean and less than a 5 minute walk to the casinos front door.

The casino itself is very nice. It's a beautiful building, very clean, lots of tables and slot machines. All the staff, including the men and women cleaning the floor, were all super nice. Everyone of them every time they spoke to you always ended the interaction with "Good luck to you." Might be a jinx to some but I liked it. This a very large casino and if you like to move around a lot you will but some steps in.

The downside for us were the limits. First as veterans of Vegas and AC - we're not fond of casino's you have to buy your drinks at. I understand it's out of there control - but it's not something I am a fan of. The table limits are on the high side for this gambler - with the low limit typically being $15. Even with the higher limits aside - because this is the only game in town - no one leaves the tables. Craps tables that were open were always full sometimes 2 deep so you ended up having to wait 30-60 minutes just to get on. And if there was a lower limit table that was open - forget about it - no one left that table. All this meant we got less time at the tables.

In the end it's a beautiful casino in a beautiful setting. But for the cost and the time to travel there - we'd have spent less money and spent the same amount of time traveling had we gone to Atlantic City.

We won't be going back just to go to the casino - but if we were in town or nearby for another reason - we'd stop by. We are gamblers after all ;)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edgefield, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Since we are Total Rewards members and play at Cherokee, we took advantage of the free weekday offer at the hotel.

Check-in was quick but at first they were unable to check a king bed. They offered two queens beds but I had asked for a king bed. The young lady finally found a king bed room but it was on the second floor. We took it but was disappointed to find it had a fabulous view of the air conditioning units facing inside between buildings

But room was clean with a refrigerator. There is no microwave.

Since the room was free (they provide this to hope you gamble) one May say I have no room to complain, but it is a perk for the gambling you do.

Not sure I would pay a high price to stay there otherwise.

Room Tip: Try and get a view to the outside, the mountains are scenic.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed 6/1-6/3. Beautiful setting and a very nice hotel/casino. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. All restaurants and food court were excellent. Rooms are very expensive. May be cheaper if you are a regular gambler.

Casino is impressive. Smoking is prevalent throughout the gaming area. Small non-smoking area, but it applies to the tables. Most smokers just leave their seat and light up behind you. Bar areas in the gaming are also smoking, and with video machines at the bar you can not get away from it.

Real downside is that I was a smoker for 30 years............ not anymore!!!!!! LOL

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I have been coming here for years most of the time twice a year! It is our absolute favorite place to be...employee's are always very nice,all the resturants are great and the rooms are always clean! The new outside pool is awesome too with bar!

• Stayed June 2014
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Been there 3 times already and every time I've enjoyed myself....it's so big and spacious and I love they fact they have a non smoking section( even though ppl still smoke there). I've only actually stayed at the hotel once, but the one time was perfect. The buffet/food courts have great good ans are clean. I feel the people working there actually care about the customers...everyone is so nice, friendly, & helpful

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cumming, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Most of my time spent at casino's leaves me bored and unamused, but at Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel I had plenty to look at and enjoy. The scenery is by far the best part about this Hotel and Casino. It you're bored inside you can go outside and stroll along the creek, sit by the pool or relax at any of the seating areas inside away from the casino excitement. I did all of that and I did gamble a little. The restaurants were wonderful and the food was amazing. We ate at Ruth Chris and Brio as well as Selu where we ate breakfast. The staff was very accommodating to our needs. We live in Cumming GA but the drive was a straight shot up there. I even had a massage which set off my stay in a very relaxing way.

We chose this location for a quick business retreat and had plenty of opportunities to think, talk and plan without a lot of distractions.

Room Tip: Go up to higher floors for more privacy and quiet.
Green Features: Very beautiful grounds and earth tones throughout.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!