“Beautiful area” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oregon
“Beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

We were in the area to see The Biltmore mansion which is pricey but well worth the cost. We chose to stay at the casino because of the competitive rate and it's location near the Great Smoky Moutains, which are spectacular. We did not have time to spend in the casino itself but were happy with our room. The room and bath were huge and very nice. It was clean and quiet. The staff through out the hotel were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
Amory, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

Stayed at the Harrah's Cherokee May 28 & 29, 2008. The drive there from Gatlinburg through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park was amazing even though it was cloudy and raining. Both nights were comped so my review may not be as critical as if I had paid. The employees were extremely nice and friendly. I asked for a high room with a view. We were put in the Soco Tower on the 12th floor. Nice big room with a jacuzi; fridge; and sitting area. Not much view - looked down on a double-wide and a house being torn down. However, I wasn't planning on spending my time at the window. The casino is definitely different: the property is dry (no alcohol); and the gaming has to follow some weird N.C. gaming commission rules. Due to the no alcohol policy, there are no truly upscale restaurants. We ate pizza one night and buffet another. The buffet was average at best. The mountain scenery around town is beautiful and there is a brook running right beside the casino. However, it is obvious the town is having hard times. Many abandoned buildings & tacky t-shirt shops cluttering up the area. We enjoyed the Museum of the Cherokee the most. Gaming, like I said is different, but we gambled on about the same amount as usual. The odds are always in the house's favor. I doubt we will ever go back to the area because we did not find it particularly attractive compared to other places like the North Georgia mountains. (see my review of Brasstown Valley Resort).

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — The view
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lumberton nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

From reading Harrah's Cherokee's Casino reviews, there are alot of bad ones. But my experience is quite different. We travel from Raeford NC, which is a 5 hr drive. And we actually love it. I'm not saying that I win, but when we go, we go to have fun. And if we end up winning, of course it makes it even better. The people for the most part are friendly. No matter where you go, you'll find a jerk or two! We normally visit one of the sit down restaurants, which I've found that they have decent food. And it's very pretty there. Also, if you have older children that like to fish, they can fish in the river (that you can see from the casino) for $7.00/day. Which isn't bad.

The only thing I'd like to see different, is more free rooms available on weekends, for those people that work during the week. Plus, 5 cent Keno, would be nice too. But all and all, we like it and we'll be going back for Memorial Day weekend!

GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

OK, i gave it a second try. I spent there 1 night last Tuesday.
The hotel is very nice, but oh boy the gambling is still as miserable and thight as usually. Wait, this time was even worse. It seemed impossible, but they made the slots thighter. I asked for the payout of the slots and the people at the Total Rewards Club were clueless. The didnt know, and they say that they usually do not 'give that info to the public'. AHA! I guees why. I asked to see a manager and he told me that they 'dont have that info available, but according to the law is at least 80%'. AHA! 80% then... even the boats casinos have payouts of 94%. Do yourself a favor: get as far as possible of this 'gambling place'.

Stayed May 2008
Mt. Airy N.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

My wife and I usually go to Harrah's Cherokee once a month, we live 3 1/2 hours away. I alway's feel lucky at this casino, the hotel room's are alway's clean and maintained. Restaurant's all have good food and employee's very friendly! We have reservations for this memorial day week-end.

Stayed April 2008
Winston Salem NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

The casino part was so very bad. I would say it would be wiser if you wanted to just throw your money away.. is to just toss it out the window. I have been going for years and still refuse to learn that lesson. Any of you thinking about going there, please let me say.... go somewhere else. The machines are tight and it is a known fact that THEY DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO TURN THE MACHINES ON AND OFF and it is a known fact that some of the people that do win are plants..(people who are placed in there to supposedly win but are really employees of Cherokee or hired) so that of course you see someone winning big and make the mistake of thinking you can win too. They need some competition in order to make this a real casino. As of now, I dont call it a casino where you place your money in a machine with the chance to win.. its simply a donation. If you do.. DO NOT EXPECT TO WIN.

• Liked — The ride up the mountain.
  • Disliked — The gambling was only a donation. Nobody really wins
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

May 08, 08

I've just returned from a 3 day stay at Harrah's in Cherokee, NC. This is my 4th visit to the Casino, but my first time taking advantage of my complimentary nights. Anytime you gamble at Harrah's you will need to get your total rewards card to gamble. I have received specials in the mail and thought I would really check out the services and property. I was leary after reading some reviews.
There is no catch to using your complimentary nights. The minute you drive up to the valet parking for registration they are on you in a second. Our bellhop's name was Sonny, who was extremely polite and quick to take what we needed up to our room. The front desk help was unbelievably friendly. The room was clean and the bellhop even went and got some ice for us before he left. I couldn't believe how beautiful the view was. We were nestled in the Smokey Mountains and the feeling was very relaxed. I actually got free wireless thanks to the Days Inn across the street. Otherwise you have to pay for the service.
The food, no matter where you eat is excellent. We ate for free due to our reward bonus points. The fish and chips at the Fresh Market was excellent! The service I can not give them enough credit.
My friend forgot her toothbrush and they brought one right up! The gambling is what you make of it. I played on $200.00 for 3 days and left $50.00 in the hole! I recommend the Wheel of Fortune machines...a Blast!
Waitresses constantly bringing juice, soda or coffee. This is a alcohol free resort. The reason is that alcoholism is prone on reservations and there is no alcohol in Cherokee, NC, so if you must drink, get it before you go.
This is my favorite place to gamble and sightsee. There is so much to do in Cherokee. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Gatlinburg, TN is only 33 miles away. Ask for the back road directions. It's close to Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge and so much more. I rate this AAA+++
PS: use your reward card within 6 months to keep the bonus's up to date. They expire otherwise.
Good Luck

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!