“It wasn't as good as other harrahs.” 3 of 5 stars

777 Casino Drive, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tennessee
“It wasn't as good as other harrahs.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Soco premium room, which was nice, good bed but a long way to walk to casino.
The things I found different from the other several harrahs we have been to thru out the US were:

1. The casino wasn't as smokey but it was not crowded. Tues days and nights must be very slow.

2. Since it was not crowded I was surprised by the breakfast buffet and how it is handled. When we arrived there were two couples infront of us waiting with a beeper. I could see there were empty tables and booths. We are diamond players, which is okay they do not have a separate line or seating area like other Harrahs. I just don't understand why there were beepers when there were empty seats and no crowd. I wouldn't want to be there when it was crowded.
We ended up turning in the beeper since it was after 9 and check out was 11, didn't want to risk it timewise.
We did go to the lobby cafe, which they had biscuits, pastries etc. I ordered tea but that wasn't available until 1130am.

3. We went to the Diamond lounge for a bite for dinner tues. The food was good, alot of servers but apparently we got the slow server. There might have been 8 tables of two when we arrived. There were three couples that arrived after, they had their drinks before our server even came to our table, plus their food eaten before we got ours.
I did get up and got napkins and straws from the bar since our server never brought us any.
At this Diamond lounge you have to wait to be seated, but it was far from busy. I just felt management didn't care.

4.if you cannot walk far and don't want to hike a mile, this is the casino is not for you. It's huge, but not user friendly.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed in a Soco Tower Premium room on the 14th floor. It had a king bed and the room was large. It had a great view of the Smoky Mountains.

There was a coffee bar and mini refrigerator. No microwave - which I would liked to have had.

Besides the large, well decorated bed, there were 2 bed tables, a small round work/eating table with chairs, a full size couch and coffee table, and a bench at the end of the bed. The TV was in a nice cabinet that also had dresser drawers. There was a closet cabinet with an iron and ironing board. The bed was very comfortable with a pillow top mattress. There was a bedside radio alarm clock.

The bathroom was also large. There is a separate toilet closet in the bathroom. The vanity was large and had a makeup mirror and hairdryer. The towels were luxury quality. The tub is jetted and was a tub / shower combo.

The hotel offers something I had never used before - check in kiosk. Using your info and credit card used for the reservation, you can print your room card and a receipt with your room number. It was quick and easy - no waiting in line! The hotel and casino information is on the room TV. You can also check your room balance and do in-room checkout.

My only complaints are although there are several lamps in the room, and an overhead light for reading in bed, the room is fairly dark. Also, they charge for internet service. Again, many places charge for internet, but a lot of places offer it as an amenity. It is also pricey - $12 a day.

The hotel is decorated with Native American art. It is very nice. There are also many seating areas throughout the hotel. The casino and hotel is located in a beautiful area. There are walking areas and a stream near the hotel. The hotel offers several shops, restaurants, a spa, an indoor pool and fitness center (under renovation right now), smoking and non-smoking rooms, and golf access. There is a large parking garage for the hotel and another for the casino.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

i waqnted to play in the wsop tourney they had but could not get away but i did go up that week end on Sunday...havent been to cherokee in about 7 yrs...things have changed. went to the card room where my wife and i had to stand in a long line not to get chips but put money on a card and she played hi lo on a machine...i waited over an hour to be seated at a 50 dollar tourney...again a machine...could not interact with players watch moves but stared down at my screen the whole time...cant see what is bet without the screen and its all touch. and its winner take all where as other casinos i go to have live dealers with chips they play at least two places. so we left the card room and eat at the buffett. worse meal i have had in a very long time...if i was blind folded the only thing i could tell i was eating was the peel and eat shrimp and that was because some one had put cocktail sauce on em...that m eal was over 50 bucks for the two of us...i called the casino and left a voice mail but they never called back...finally got a hold of greg in the card room aqnd he told me i picked a bad week end to come...they had the tourney going on...i told him they didnt play on a machine they had live dealers and i was on a timer where they wer'nt on one...he also told me they got rave reviews from the buffett...well i was not pleased so when i called back too talk too some one from the corp. office i was told i couldnt but i could e-mail them...sad day when you cant talk but have to e-mail...so i e-mailed them and they said they would respond 3 -5 business days...well its been 5 business days and no word from them...card room was disorganized and it was like playing on line poker and the meal was awful...next morning i went to mcdonalds and got coffee and headed home...worst time i have ever had in cherokee...going and winning money or losing money is fine as long as you have fun but it was a hassle the whole day...will say the security guards were nice in directions and the ladies at the desk were helpful but if you want to play poker...just play on line

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Not really any complaints, just info for future customers. We had a beautiful King suite with sofa bed. The room we had was in the Soco towers it was really large .Bathroom huge and clean, separate toilet area, large jetted tub. The info I wanted to share is, there is no paper directory in the room, everything is on the TV and the only way you know this, is if you read the small print on your key card holder.(Who reads these things) We realized this about 2 hours before we were checking out of the hotel on the 3rd day. I called to the front desk on two different occasions to get information about the restaurants in the building and was never told that the info was on the TV menu button. I feel that when we checked in this should have been pointed out to us, next visit we will know this. Everything else was wonderful except most rooms do not have a microwave, but they do have a 24 hour food court so I guess they don't want you to heat or reheat anything. Food is good in the food court and not all that bad of a price. We will return. Also beautiful areas to relax inside and out if you don't want to go to the casino.

Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have become a regular at Harrahs Cherokee over the past two years since the renovations have been going on and must say that the hotel is beautiful and surrounded by all the beauty of nature around it. I just returned from a 4 day trip and I must give credit where credit is due. I went with my girlfriend who somehow misplaced her IPhone in the casino. Now I know that the security at this resort have much more important things to do then help a guest find a lost cell phone, but I tell you this, there were three employees that were so kind and understanding and helpful that I must write a review for them. We did locate our phone, in another guests room and they were there by my side from beginning to end. I can't believe they would take it so seriously, but I do appreciate it. I tried to find a feedback link on the hotel site so I could send this directly to their supervisors but I could not locate a link. So to the employees of Harrah's Cherokee who assisted me Monday night in locating our lost Iphone I greatly appreciate your efforts and kindness and patience. Ann Paige, you were amazing and a professional at your job, you really made Harrah's special for us and I appreciate your help and attention. Thank you so much for caring! Also to Kevin Adams and Marla Murphy a huge thank you for all your help and kindness. You guys are a great team and just the fact that you were honestly concerned over our little lost Iphone, well I can't thank you enough. You guys are awesome and I appreciate you and all that you did. Harrah's Cherokee will forever be our spot thanks to people like you! Keep up the fantastic job!!!!!

Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

It's great to take your dog. Cherokee limits weight to 50 lbs, charges a room charge, and if you don't have a crate, they charge a crate charge. Rooms are low, so no views, but accessible to a nice walk along the river with poop bags along the way. Our dog loves wading in the river!

Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went during the week; not crowded at all. The hotel is beautiful. Our room was huge and very comfortable. I was expecting to be strangled by the smoke in the casino but they keep air circulating enough that it didn't bother me. The staff, no matter what part of the hotel/casino we were in, were very friendly. Be sure to try Brio, the Italian restaurant; it is excellent! We wanted to try Paula Deen's Kitchen but it was closed at 2 pm! Also wanted to get a pedi at the spa but was told they were booked even though there was no one seated in any of the pedi chairs. Overall we had a good experience. We will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!