“Gaming” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Maggie Valley, North Carolina
“Gaming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have played at Harrah's Cherokee for years... way before any of the 'resort' remodeling. I visited Harrah's because of the various gaming. I have watched the Lock and Roll game of "Double Diamonds" slowly being removed. There used to be nickels, quarters, and dollar games. From the beginning, you had to usually wait in line to get one of the machines. First, Harrah's removed the nickel Double Diamond games, then the quarters.... finally put 2 quarter machines back. At one point the $1 machines were removed to take a wall out. SO MANY people complained that they brought them back. Imagine my HUGE disappointment on this visit to realize ALL Double Diamond lock and roll machines were GONE..... They were the BIG draw for most people. Might as well go to New Orleans, Indiana or Vegas now, since my machines are gone. I have heard MANY people with the same sentiments. With the HUGE influx of table games now that they were approved in N.C., you'd think they'd have room to keep the Double Diamond, lock and roll in, too.... I KNOW they have the room.
Cathy

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
Oak Island, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Mostly tight machines but now have live tables! Lovely facility with attention to details but very strange wire decorations. Mtn creek runs through the grounds. Pet are accepted. Find your meals outside the hotel and you will be fine! The town really closes up for winter and into spring.

Room Tip: Creek Tower rooms are very nice!!!
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stay here about once a month. The rooms are always clean, front desk friendly and helpful and most employees are extremely nice. The new Creek Tower is all
non-smoking rooms which we appreciate. It is quite a "hike" to the casino but not unusual for a hotel/casino (think Las Vegas). The beds are sooo comfortable and large rooms. Elevators usually are quite efficient with not too long waits (you do need to use your room key in the elevator at night to get to your room). Parking garage is attached to the hotel with a walk over. If hotel garage is full, the casino garage is also a good place to park. I go during the week - don't know how things are on weekends. I know it is of course much more crowded. Be sure & buy some of the fudge at the Sweet Stop located in new addition - best fudge I've ever had.

Room Tip: Creek Tower for non-smokers. Pet friendly rooms are available.
Boone, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Over the years, hit & miss has been the name of the game. If going, be prepared for a decent room in size. In the new Creek Tower, rooms are nice. Soco Tower - poorly built, so it is noisy (you hear every creak and move all around you). Mountain Tower - used to be my preference. It was the first built. The last time I stayed in that tower, the room was in shambles - missing wall treatments around the bed, furniture in poor repair. They're not paying anything to people in the casino, so I have no idea why they cannot keep their hotel rooms in good repair. Casino keeps getting expanded - and like I said - winners are few and far between.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I tried to check in early, but the guest services representative said they were in the midst of cleaning my room. He told me he would call me when it was ready. He didn't call, so after an hour had passed I went back to the desk. The rep acted as if he had never taken my information previously and made me start from square one. I was not a happy camper thinking that if I had not gone back to the desk to hassle him a little he might have given my room away, as he never planned to make good on his promise to call.There were a lot of "grey hairs," some on scooters and some with oxygen tanks staying at this hotel and I kept wondering how they had managed to bring their luggage into their rooms. Maybe they all traveled really light. I don't, and it was a struggle getting from "point A," the parking garage, to "point B," the guest room on the 6th floor. The hotel does not provide carts and the directions I got from the guest representative at registration were a little sparse. Two different elevators and a very long hike would exhaust some visitors right off. Not a luggage cart in sight. I feel fairly certain that the hotel does not supply any amenities of the sort. The guest room, once I reached it, was typical of a nice hotel. Nothing exceedingly special except for the fact that the bathroom was very large and had a private commode with a door, a very good plan when there could be as many as four people sharing the room. Less time waiting for one's chance in the bathroom means more time to gamble. I get it. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The casino environment was really pretty with stained glass art lighting and other interesting decorative features. There are plenty of places to eat and drink so if you can afford it, you don't have to leave the casino for meals. The penny and nickel slot machines can keep a player amused for a long time without breaking the budget. Although I had read some complaints previously about the amount of smoke inside, I didn't notice that it was overwhelming. There were designated non smoling areas. Water and soft drinks are available without charge if you sit long enough at a machine. I saw some blurbs about the table games having lowered bets, but I didn't try the tables so I don't know what the minimums were lowered to. All in all a pleasant and fun stay.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ee xcellent hotel very large and clean rooms. Restaurants were a little pricey nut that is to be expected at a casino hotel. Housekeeping did a good job but there were only 2 large towels and 2 hand towels in the room. Not feasible if a guest has long hair.

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a pet friendly room. Received two phone calls while having dinner about the dog's barking. We left dinner and was in our room when we received a third call about the dog's we were in our room and we explained our dog's were not the one's causing a disturbance the front desk clerk came up to our hallway only to see that it was not our dog's and apologized. I felt harnessed and tried to speak to a manager who in return had a very nonchalant attitude and offered no apology. The casino was very nice and the staff on the floor was very friendly but the hotel staff very much so need customer service training as well as exact information before calling and harassing. I forgot to add at one point the clerk who called said that we take care of the barking or we would be asked to leave. I have to say no problem to that as it was not my dog's and I will choose to do my business elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!