“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
GA
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I got an offer for a free night so hubby & took advantage & stayed Thurs 2/7.
We had a room on the 7th floor of the Creek tower. We overlooked the middle of the u shaped hotel, low roof with AC units. We had a late check in & checked out about 9am so not an issue.
The room was very nice with separate sitting area & large shower. The bed was comfortable.
The lighting all had dimmers but we couldn't figure out how to turn them on until the we took the elevator down with a bell boy who let us onto the secret of the panel inside the door. (You would think at check in they would have asked if we'd stayed there before)

It was a looooooong walk to the casino which looks very nice after they've finally finished renovations. Lots of table games open on a Thursday night about 9pm. Roulette was mostly $10, with 1 $5 table open. Lots of 3 card poker tables & a few Let it Ride (did see one $5 LIR). Lots of blackjack. I saw 2 $5 tables but mostly $15 & $25. 2 of the 3 dealers I played with I enjoyed but there 1 was guy who talked alot & was apparently unable to deal while talking.

We had breakfast at the Paula Deen restaurant & had the $13 mini buffet they had. The line for eggs was always long so we stuck to the other choices. It was decent but the french toast sticks were hard & the pastries were more pastry than fruit so it was hard to taste any fruit.

I would stay again (for free!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
Sevierville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights in February. Here are my observations:

Hotel: the new Creek Towers are beautiful. The technology of the TV/information center and other tech upgrades are up there with the best hotels. The bed was comfortable, and the numerous variable mini spot lights were a nice touch. On the downside maid service only changes out towels, supplies etc. They do not vacuum, dust or otherwise clean the room. Apparently, they only do a full clean on changeover days. This drops the hotel quite far on the list for me.

Casino: the Casino is Vegas size, with every type of slot and table imaginable. However, be forewarned, the payout is very "tight". This is based on many visits to this casino. Also, there is very limited entertainment, lounges and food choices. There are no "free" drinks while gambling. Apparently, this is not allowed by NC law. Consider your betting money on slots as entertainment value only. You rarely win.

Cherokee: the town is an example of what happens when people rely too much on the Government to take care of them (in this case, the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation). Abject poverty abounds. The town is run down and consists of t shirt shops with most items made in China, mostly fast food, giving you few reasons to leave the Hotel. A big exception to this is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, which is amazing. Outside Cherokee, Bryson City is a charming Southern Town with a great RR station that has tours through the mountains. For major attractions, good food, live entertainment head over the mountains( about 30 miles) to Gatlinburg, TN

Overall, it was fun for a day or two, but a lack of alternatives to entertain yourself makes the trip very limiting. We may go back again, but only for one night, especially in winter.

Room Tip: Get a even number room on a high floor. Very high tech and great views of the Smokies.
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have a hearing disability and was very impress staying in a room that was accessible to the hearing impaired/deaf people.

Eating at the Harrah's is expensive! If you want to save money there are several restaurant around the corner, Mc Donald's, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Wendy's, Waffle house.

Average price at the Buffet is $48 dollars for 2 people. There are small cafe also but the prices start just a sandwich only and not including the fries and drinks is $7 dollars.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The casino sticks out like a sore thumb . Its beautiful architecture Surrounded by cheesy abandoned 1950's motor lodges and dilapidated mobile homes . Once you're inside the casino you'll forget about that as soon as you're hit by the overwhelming bright lights and clouds of cigarette smoke!
I felt a little out of place being that I was the only patron under 60 and NOT on a hoveround . I walked out 26¢ richer than when I walked in , so overall I'd say I had a good time .

• Stayed February 2013
covington. ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been to alot of casino's in my days, tunica, hard rock florida, mississippi and alabama.
Let me tell you nothing i mean nothing compares to harrah's cherokee.
I dont pay 5.00 for a beer at cherokee (i do pay 3.00) unlike hard rock florida.
Alcohol is free in alabama but good luck getting someone to wait on you.
Mississippi its free but good luck getting someone to wait on you.
Tunica you can order a drink at the slot machine you are playing but good luck if you
have someone that actually brings you a drink with a good attitude.
All in all you can get a drink any time during the day or night coffee and water and cokes cost
nothing. I paid 2.75 for water at hard rock florida, peope are so rude there and are dressed
in almost nothing.You might not go home with alot of money playing at harrah's cherokee
but if you go to any casino expecting to win or become an instant millionaire in any of
these casinos you are going for all the wrong reasons. I like the down home hospitality that
this casino has nothing but nice people and the best place to me to go for an overnight trip.
I my self will never travel or go anywhere else never again. I think if you ever experienced
any of these other casinos you would feel the same way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

First of all let me just say, the hotel and location is beautiful. After I checked into my room, I went walking around for about an hour taking photos inside and outside because there is so much to take in. It really is a great escape even if you are not there to gamble. My hotel room had an awesome view and it even had a mini fridge which is rare with most other casinos I have stayed in. Be prepared to take photos on your walk from lobby to whichever tower you are staying in and also check out the walking paths outside along the creek/river. I really didn't do much at this casino but relax and gamble. I didn't eat at any of the food places...I just walked down road to Wendy's. Now for those who love the casino floor......IT IS HUGE! I mean I would get lost and everything lol. Also for those nonsmokers such as myself....half of the casino floor is nonsmoking. I enjoyed sitting at a slot machine and not worrying about someone sitting next to me with a cigarette! For those who drink, be prepared to pay. This casino charges for your drinks even while you play.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nice Hotel/Casino with many untold accommodations. Good luck finding any hotel accommodation information online or in person once you arrive!! We recently visited for our 2nd time and had a blast. I didn't hear any jackpots won or see any machines going off big winners, but people were winning. We took some friends with us that had never been there before and they had a blast also. (Both walked away with winnings.) The drinks were free and there are areas in the hotel for anyone under 18 to stay busy. We had a good time. We will go back again. I would rate the Spa higher if we could have secured a reservation well in advance of even planning the trip. They were far too booked up for us to enjoy any of those services on our weekend trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mountain Tower. It was awesome and closer to the casino.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!