“Getting there but still needs some work to truly be "World Class"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel

You added Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel to your Saves list
Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel
777 Casino Drive, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Getting there but still needs some work to truly be "World Class"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Having been to Vegas I should say that I had very high expectations of the Harrah's Cherokee Casino. Let me start from the beginning. Getting there is about 3 hours from our home town of Charlotte, NC. The trip is relatively easy considering it is almost ALL 4 lane highway with no real twisting, turning roads at all. We arrived around 1:00 pm in the afternoon and while the signage wasn't perfect we managed to find the valet check-in. We got out of the car, ungreeted and stood around for a several minutes with no one approaching us. The covered area wasn't insanely busy, as a matter of fact several workers were just standing around. Eventually I got the attention of one of the workers and he came over. He looked right at me and said, "you can't park there". I said, I want to check in. Then he became nicer and asked us if we needed help with the bags. They soon got a valet over and then gave me a ticket for the car. We we were on our way in.

At the counter things got better, the customer service lady was very helpful and informative and told us about the hotel and all the amenities. Within a few minutes we were up to our room and checking out the view from the new tower on floor #9. The view isn't spectacular but it is nice if you look above the parking structure and towards the horizon which is nice mountain tops. The designer did a nice job of providing a pull down shade that allows light in but obscures the details outside which are mostly, the parking structure and poverty. Maybe the other side of the tower is better but we decided to leave the shade down. The room itself was great, I really can't say enough about it. Very large, a sitting area, a large bathroom with a walk in shower (no bathtub) and a king size comfortable bed. The flat screen tv and nice desk area round out a good place to hang out if you like to do that. I will caution that Internet is $11.99 per day so since we were staying 3 days we chose to use our Verizon wireless hotspot for $20 for 30 days instead. Unfortunately Verizon does not offer 3G in the Cherokee area so we were stuck with slow data service, glad we didn't need the Internet to work or we would have been forced to pay the Hotel's fee. One final note, our bags came up very quickly and the bell hop was very nice and friendly.

So now we're ready to head to the casino! Many of the reviews here have complained about the walk from the hotels to the casino floor. While it is not a short walk I actually enjoyed it and it is very pleasant as you cross over the river bridge to the casino area. The place is busy and there is lots to see. We picked up our Harrah's cards (replacements as we couldn't find our previous cards) and had no issues there although the line moved a bit slow. Once we were up front though the attendant was focused on us and only us which was nice, she gave us as much time as we needed. Entering the casino floor using the escalator was a breeze, there is always security there but we never got carded which was good (we are in our 40's). I did see younger folks getting carded regularly so that might be a pain if you are in your 20's and come and go a lot.

Our first view of the casino floor was WOW! There are just tons of machines to play and lots of variety. 1c, 2c, 5c, $1, $5, you name it, they have it. Everything is video of course but you know that going in. They have the poker tec tables for video holdem and also blackjack tables that have real dealers and chips but you're still interacting with a screen and not cards. We played some 3 card poker on a video machine and it was still quite a bit of fun. Our forte is generally slots anyway so we did not have a problem with it at all. I will say that overall we lost money in the casino, the machines did feel very tight but I'm not going to complain about that because it is a casino and they are in this to make money. The biggest win I had was a $200 win on a $6.00 spin which I thought was pretty good. If you are going into a casino and thinking you are going to win you are fooling yourself anyway, just go to have fun and if you win great, if not, whatever, that's how we approach it.

Now, some of the bad. We hit the noodle bar the first night which is a newer eating venue. The service is this place was AWFUL! We started with the spring rolls which were pretty good then had a plate of chicken fried rice which was also not bad. I could hardly understand the lady that was serving us so I was just nodding my head and not really sure if we were getting through, her accent was really thick asian. We asked for Dim Sum next and were told it was not available. Then we asked for another dish and it was also unavailable. Finally she just said (I think) you want noodle bowl! Ok, noodle bowl it is. I watched as they opened a bag of noodles with a pair of scissors, drop it into some hot water, then after a few minutes they put that into a bowl and covered it with broth that was from a large stock pot next to the hot water. She put this up on the counter and my wife tasted it, I tasted it, it was so bland we had to send it back. This proved to be a real issue for the waitress and she just scowled at us and left it up on the counter in front of us. We asked for another plate of the fried rice as we had liked that and after a few minutes we had that. When they brought the Bill out things got worse, for 2 Fried Rice orders, one spring roll order and 3 beers it was over $50!!! On the menu the fried rice was listed at $5, the waitress said chicken was added and that was an extra $10 for the chicken. Oh yes, I should also mention the woman next to us was yelled at for ordering two dishes and only wanting one of them (the customer stated she only ordered one dish and was alone). The waitress brought out two dishes and argued with the customer about it. To make matters worse, my wife asked to speak with a manager and was told "No manager here".

We left the Noodle Bar with full bellies but feeling a bit stiffed so we searched for customer service. We found a really nice guy on the floor that asked us what we needed and he listened to our experience. He wanted to assure us that that was not what they wanted their patrons to experience. After calling another person over and discussing it with her they ended up giving us two free tickets to the Chef's Stage buffet which have a value of about $50 so we were satisfied. I would have liked to have know they took care of the Noodle Bar problem but I guess as a customer I feel that they made it right, hopefully others won't have a bad experience there but based on my experience I can't recommend the noodle bar at all.

The food court was decent but somewhat pricey. We had Johnny Rockets late our first night there and two burgers and an order of fries (no drinks) was $22. I guess not horrible by casino standards but not very reasonable either. The food was very good though, cooked to order which made the wait a little longer but overall worth it. They also have a deli there and a dunkin donuts, I had one deli sandwhich from the cooler while there. It was a bit dry and $7 but filled the void and I didn't feel entirely ripped off, it had a good bit of turkey on it. The donuts were fresh and my wife said the coffee there was good.

There's a cafe near the hotel lobby that serves sandwiches, bagels and stuff that we tried also. We had a breakfast sandwich and a bagel and an order of coffee. The sandwich and bagel were good enough (just unpackaged and microwaved) and again expensive but filled the void well. My wife said the coffee was HORRIBLE, not even as good as the free stuff in the room and we took it back on our way down to the casino that morning. When we said we'd like a refund ($3.00) the cashier said they could not do it and would have to get a supervisor. We waited about 5 minutes and she was not successful in hailing a manager. I asked if we could leave our room number and name and they could take care of it without me having to wait. She seemed fine with that. Later on that afternoon when we returned to our room there was a message saying that a $3 credit was applied to our room bill so I was satisfied with that. However, after checking out I was not thorough enough looking at my Bill and as I write this realize they never actually credited my account. Oh well, out another $3 I guess.

The tickets we got to the Chef's Stage buffet were put to good use Monday night. This was a highlight of our trip food wise. Everything was really good food wise. Service we again felt that there was much to be desired. Waiting in the queue to get seated was comical as they tried to feed the diamond level customers into the queue faster than us normal folks and we probably waited 15 minutes when there were maybe 20 of us waiting to be seated, I can't imagine this on a weekend night. They tried to seat us in the middle of the floor at a 2 seat table when there were many outside tables available, we asked for one of those and were allowed to sit there. Had we used the table they originally wanted to seat us at we might as well have been parties with the neighbors the tables were so close together. Again, the food was stellar so I don't want you to come away negative on this one, it's worth the wait and I would have gladly paid the $50 had it not been comped. If they have it make sure you get the brisket and the chipotle sauce, they were killer!

I think overall the resort is nice and getting there. We will return, probably not this year but in 2013 which will give them another year to iron out the kinks. I think the employees need to be empowered to help the patrons and I think the employees need to be coached that the reason they have these jobs is because of the patrons. It's going to be great to get a few more restaurants and then the amphitheater in there soon, the table games will be great as well. Cherokee has a hit on its hands if it can continue to learn how to treat the guests like world class citizens. One final note. Over the course of three days, we bet, what I think, is a lot of money, maybe its not, but at the end we had only about $40 worth of points on the Harrah's card, I felt a little slighted at this, according to the workers we weren't even CLOSE to the next level up in the gamers club. After one weekend at Paris in Vegas I was at the next level and was comped a one night stay on our very next visit (worth about $100 or so) and I don't think I bet any more or less than I did at Cherokee. Anyway, maybe the rules are different here because it is not Vegas but thought I would let you know in case you were planning on getting a lot of value from your players card.

I'm going to leave my review at 3 out of 5 because I can't bring myself to give it the 4th circle. If this were a 6 point scale I would go 4 out of 6, 10 point, probably 7 out of 10. If you haven't been, go, if you have and had a better experience, great. I am trying to be fair here and hope that someone gets a tip or two from my review.

Room Tip: The Higher you go, the better the view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Just to make you aware if you're planning a trip. DOUBLE confirm your reservation. We went up Sunday, Jan. 22 for a one night stay. I made the reservations on Jan 18th via the internet. When we arrived, we were told that our reservation was for Jan 19th and we had no reservation for the 22nd. We were treated rudely by a young Asian male at the check-in desk. We spoke with the his "supervisor" Shaun, who explained to us they had no rooms available...they were all "full". I asked if we could check back later for a cancellation. I asked for him to confirm the cancellation time (which is printed on all their confirmations as 4:00 p.m.). He told me the cancellation time was 4:00 A.M. I asked him 3 different times if he said 4:00 a.m. and he said yes each time. Really......you have until 4:00 a.m. the next day to cancel a reservation for the night before???? I realized then that Harrah's could care less about the fact we were 3 hours from home and had no hotel room for the night. I know that hotels (especially casino hotels) hold back rooms for situations such as this, yet everyone continued to tell us they had NO rooms. We finally had to call home at 11:00 p.m. and get my friend's son-in-law to get us a reservation using his frequent flier miles. I strongly suggest that you stay across the street at the Fairfield by Marriott. Very friendly, helpful staff..much better than the staff at Cherokee. We realized it was much better to pay for a room and be treated like guests rather than getting a free room and having to put up with the rude, uncaring attitude of the Cherokee staff. I miss the old days when Cherokee was a great place, very caring staff and a good casino. It has turned in to a totally different place. They could care less about their guests. Save yourself time if you go...walk into the casino, find the first casino employee you can find (if you can find one) and hand them the money you intended to gamble. Save yourself the frustration of getting beat to death on their tight machines!!!!

Room Tip: Sta at the Fairfield across the street
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Recently my daughter and I stayed at the hotel and it was a beautiful room. It was elegant, clean and very affordable. The only downfall to this casino / hotel is the amount of walking that haas to be done to get from one to the other. On the upside they do have little shuttle carts that will help you zip from place to place should you need one but overall it was a very nice place. On the casino rating I would say that the slots are still as tight as they have always been. Thats the one thing about this casino that doesnt seem to change, they payouts are hard to acquire but overall a nice place ESPECIALLY if you are a smoker. Its a great change for a hotel and casino to accomodate smokers because usually we are discriminated against everywhere we go. Overall it was was a great place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wellford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at Harrahs in Cherokee, NC. The accomodations were excellent. Would definitely recommend staying here if you want to use the casino and have access to good restuarants on site. The machines are really tight but that has always been the case for this casino.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Nobody has done it better. The hotel is greater than fabulous-at least the rooms in the Creek Tower are. From the guest room's back lighted bathroom mirror, sculptural commode with water saving selector flush, superior tile, granite, and marble features, and beautiful blown glass light shades in the hallway it could definitely be considered a model for all hotels to emulate. There was a three selector touchpad beside the guest room door (inside) that could be used to request privacy, housekeeping services, or to control all the room lights. The lights were also individually dimmable The room was very spacious and clean and there was more than enough seating including a full couch and a bench. Anyone interested in work instead of play could use the desk wth a blotter atop it, and could also roll out an accessory table from underneath to accomodate a laptop. There were plenty of electrical outlets placed conveniently high on the wall. The bed was comfortable. The 42" flat screen TV was impressive. The bedside radio and the telephone were both state of the art. There was a wall safe in the closet and a refrigerator in a small granite topped butler's pantry. Hotel parking was free. Internet access was an extra charge. Harrah's Cherokee Casino has offered the best hotel room experience I have ever enjoyed.

Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

After reading some reviews, we were hesitant to visit. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the large non-smoking area and the payoffs on slots.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I really enjoyed my self at the casino ,everyone is so helpful, the rooms are very nice and clean.I have stayed in all sections and I loved the jetted tubs so relaxing, can not wait to come again this month,me and my daughter.

Room Tip: room near elevators and non smoking
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!