“The good, the bad and the well done renovation” 4 of 5 stars

Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel
777 Casino Drive, Cherokee, NC 28719   |
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The good, the bad and the well done renovation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This was my first trip since the renovation started. Stayed from Wednesday - Friday. Drove up to the registration and got the car unloaded and the valet took the car - very quick - friendly and smiling. Next was check in at the beautiful reception area. Stood in line maybe 1 minute. Very quick and easy check in. We took the elevator to our Creek tower room and walked to the very end of the hall. Some reviewers complained about being so far from the evator but I liked it. It was extremely quiet. Our room was stunning and big. It compared to rooms at very modern places like W hotel. I loved the lighting, super comfy bed, gigantic flat screen, sitting area, glassed-in shower, in room coffee maker and frig. We had tons of room for two women and all our stuff. The only problem was a shower door that would not close. The walk to the casino is about 5 minutes but that was ok by me. You get some exercise before you spend hours sitting at the slots. We had $20 food coupons which we used at the buffet. Food is ok with lots of choices. It was not crowded on a mid week night at 6pm. We were in and out and back to the slots. The games were fun but I won the most playing the very old Pot O Gold poker machines. I got lucky on one of my first 25 cent bets and won $250. That carried me the rest of the trip. I love hot hot penny gem hunter and won about $100 on a penny machine in 5 minutes. The rest of the slots are fun but tight. If you like poker machines those seem to be hitting a lot. You play slower and win more. It is much bigger feeling but still needs seating improvement and better air handling. It stinks of smoke really badly. The crowd seems to be older, smokers,overweight women and men. The crowd got younger by Friday. We saw lots of drink carriers and always got free water or sodas from there or at the manned beverage stations. All the staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
Winder, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Our room in Mountain Towers was very nice - and roomy. I am a BIG fan of Paula Deen, however our dinner at Paula Deen's Kitchen was disappointing. We had buffet and there were no vegetables except very hot with hot sauce turnip greens. I love turnip greens but a lot of people don't. Salad bar was low key, and other food was high in carbs - 3-4 meats and 4 pastas. Won't go there again. The hotel is so big it is hard to maneuver around from hotel room to casino and restaurants. In one word - disappointing. And to charge $10.95 a day for internet is ridiculous.

Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed here two nights and booked back in January. I paid for the highest type of room (basic king with Jacuzzi). It was just me and my wife wanting to get away for a night or two. I arrived and was given a room card. Got up to my room and realized it was not what I paid for (just a basic room). I called down stairs and was immediately told that they don't guarantee rooms and there was nothing I could do about it except call in the morning and ask for a room. The front desk clerk never apologized! HOW RUDE! So I called in the morning and told them I expected a Jacuzzi room and also a refund for the difference since I stayed in a basic room. I finally got my room I requested the second night, but I was told the manager was in conference call, and he was the only one that could give refunds. I was told to wait 5-10 minutes and he would return my call. NEVER did return my call. So during my stay I overpaid and also received horrible service! Ive had better service before in a Motel 6!

If I had gotten ONE apology, I would have been an happy camper. This place needs to learn from their mistakes, or they wont have any customers. I am not hard to get along with, I just want to be treated fair.

Some other things:
1) They set there fire alarm off for a entire hour that 2nd day.
2) The food is overpriced.
3) The bellmen and maids are wonderful. Since they work on tips, they actually provide quality service.
4) Creek tower is very nice.

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

The hotel and casino experience were fine; however, the dining experience was terrible. Stay away from Paula Deen's Kitchen. The sanitation ration was only 90.5. (The local McDonald's has a better sanitation rating.) Also, the fitness center is small and has very little equipment--a big disappointment.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Elkin, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Have been to many casinos throughout the country and these slots are the tightest by far I have ever experienced. There weren't even any cherries to keep you going!(Those of you who play slots know what I mean.) Must have to pay for their new construction!

The hotel room was nice but the restaurant choices are VERY LIMITED. The only food any good was in the buffet in the casino itself. Got really tired of smelling cigarette smoke everywhere too. Long walk to the room from the parking tower.

Will return to Cherokee to visit the area but WILL NOT GAMBLE AT THE CASINO!

Lawrenceville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

For years we have frequented Harrah's Cherokee and the experience makes you want to come back, except for the food - which has actually gotten worse since they opened the Paula Deen restaurant - Food was not very good at all and was way overpriced, and service very poor with long waits.
Also, they changed the price at the casino buffet on Saturday to $18.00 but instead of offering a higher quality and variety, they reduced the quality, quantity and service. We saw our server only one time and never got refills for drinks. The carving station was supposed to have turkey and ham, and for the hour we were there no ham was ever offered and many of the items had run out.
I would highly recommend that you eat before you arrive unless you want a distasteful experience.
We still come here, but until they get their act together we will not eat there any more. Poor excuse for food. They should be ashamed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Douglasville, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Made res. on line for a smoking mt. premium two queen room because we were traveling with friend. Checked in and was advised by someone named Gideon there were no smoking rooms and all he could give us was a King non-smoking. He kept trying to place us in the Non-Smoking Tower even though we kept telling him the other side was the smoking side. While we were standing there other people with the same tier status were given smoking rooms and when we question him about that he stated (I hate to tell you this but access is based on the amount of money you spend.) He indicated that he was new, but his demeanor, behavior and tone of voice was simply rude.
We finally went back later and talked to a representative named Lesa and her approach was the epitome of what you would expect from a service representative. Please give her our appreciation for her efforts to get us re situated and tell her to keep that bright smile glowing - actually you ought to put her in charge of training those who don't seem to get it.

Great Casino and hotel, we come here several times a year even though it is a 4 hour drive and we will be back - just not in Gideon's line.