“Worth the drive and money.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Activities in Cherokee
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Smokemont Riding Stables is located within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park just off US 441, 6 miles north of Cherokee, North Carolina. We offer guided horseback riding trips from one hour to 4 hours long. Each ride is unique and may feature river crossing or waterfall views. We also have a horse drawn wagon ride that goes along the Oconaluftee River on the historic turnpike road.
Lafayette, Indiana
“Worth the drive and money.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I took the 2.5 hour waterfall ride at the end of August and ended up being treated to a private ride as we were the only ones on the trip. They also have 1 hour and 4 hour rides. Even though we were staying in Gatlinburg we wanted to use Smokemont because of the ride length and it would give us a chance to drive through the park. While my wife isn't much of a rider, she had a good time and I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to go back for the 4 hour ride. It was a very tranquil and slow-paced ride and it was a beautiful day. The guide was very nice. We had a great time and it was a great way to see nature for an afternoon. This would be a great place for beginners too. They are very aware of safety.

Visited August 2011

Edenton, North Carolina
26 attraction reviews
“Wagon ride was not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My son needed a ranger guided program to complete his Jr. Ranger book, so we thought a nice wagon ride with a ranger would be a good break from all of the hiking we had been doing. We were the only ones on the tour, so I thought it was going to be really special. Well, the ranger either didn't know that much or really was not interested. She did a quick explanation of the origin and construction of the Sevierville-Whittier Road (which we were riding on a portion of), showed us a toll schedule, and a few pictures, and that was it on a 40 minutes ride! The wagon master seemed to know more, and he did add a bit when we asked questions. Nothing about the development of the road, the early settlers, the Trail of Tears (which likely came through here), the Civil War history of the area, nothing. As far as the natural history of the area, I knew far more than the ranger. I was shocked since we have attended Ranger guided tours all over the country and never been disappointed before. I felt like we wasted our $20.

Indianapolis, Indiana
11 attraction reviews
“Giddy Up!! Great for kids & adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Our family took an hour ride through the mountains. it was scenic and fun! the horses were well trained and very gentle. My kids 10 & 11 had no trouble with the horses at all. My husband would never ride a horse before ( not even at my parents farm) but he felt very comfortable on his horse!

Our horses were Blackjack, Dougan, Chief, & Ahab.... all were great.

Enterprise, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
“Fun and a little scary :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We were a family of four, two with experience (ages 15 and one adult), and two with no experience (ages 11 and adult). The experience was very fun, very exciting, and also very scary for those of us with no experience. A few of the hills on the path are steep and it seems like you could easily go over your horse's head if you don't ground yourself in the stirrups. Also, much of the ride is up a mountain, this is very cool but the trail is thin enough to scare you that you are going to slide off. I recommend it but if you are inexperienced, ask to be put on a leash so you can ease your concerns a little.

Munich, Germany
4 attraction reviews
“Friendly - had a good time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

We took an one hour ride through the mountains. The staff was very friendly. My son, who has never ridden before, had no problems. They explained every detail, on how to handle the horse. That gave him so much confidence that he did not need to be on the leash. This was a fun trip for all of us.

Tip - Reserve a day before.