“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 27 hotels in Cherokee
spammmenot
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Great price, great stay, great hotel, great area. Initially we chose this hotel because we were too tired to continue to Gatlinburg, I'm glad we did. Gatlinburg was a huge disappointment. We had a great time in Cherokee. This hotel was clean, staff friendly, and the room was top rate.

• Liked — The views were good, and the attractions very close.
  • Disliked — Lack of Internet service in the rooms, and the Big Boy restaurant next door
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Roaring River, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

The room was ok and the staff was fairly nice. The real pain was all the signs stating there was high speed wireless internet access in every room. The only way you could get online was in the lobby now how convenient is that? Next was the elevator we had the grand pleasure of staying on the third floor and walking up and down because the elevator was broken. When we check out we voiced our displeasure with our stay and were assured by the manager that he would refund 30 to 35 dollars for all the problems would be issued but since we booked them on cheep tickets it would go thru them. After a few days we checked with cheep tickets and no refund, called the hotel back and we were told that we wouldn’t be getting anything because the problems were beyond there control. HELLO who the heck is in control? Stating online and in every room that each room has internet access and in reality none of them do isn’t that false advert. ?

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Internet wasnt in rooms as posted in each room or online
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

I chose this hotel because the website said they had a fireplace. After we had settled into the room we were unable to successfully light the fire. I called the front desk 5 times, no answer. I finally went down to the front desk and the clerk was on his cell phone in the foyer. When I asked about the fireplace, he said that none of them worked and that they were having them removed soon. I said that they shouldn't advertise fireplaces on their website (or in the brochure in the room) if they didn't have functional ones. He agreed, but did not seem remorseful at all. Also, the place seemed rundown. It's a fairly new hotel, but signs were torn off walls, wallpaper was peeling in our room, the breakfast was really skimpy and it needed painting. The furniture was new, however, and the towels were fluffy. There are better choices.

Stayed January 2008
Fort Mill, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

This hotel is an overall good value. The breakfast is the good standard fare that you find included in regular hotel rates (belgian waffle maker, cereals, instant grits and oatmeal, some fresh fruit, fresh coffee, 2 types of juice, wide variety of breads and pastries) served in a clean area and serviced by a friendly staff. The hotel staff was very friendly and the lobby well maintained. I had read some bad reviews concerning the condition of the rooms and decided to call prior to my arrival to see when they were last renovated. I was told they were under renovation at that time so I asked for a newly renovated room. We were in the first room off the lobby and the room was surprisingly quiet. The room may have had some updates but was not newly renovated by my standards. The main problem was the peeling wallpaper in the bathroom above the shower. It was peeling in more than one section and by 2-3 inches in places. Overall the room seemed above the average clean. The hotel room had no odor and the towels were fresh and new.

• Liked — Great rates - off season
  • Disliked — Small maintenance issues that are easily corrected.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We arrived on Wed. ,Nov 7th, 2007. We belong to choice hotels and had 4 free nights coming and planned on staying another 2 nights that we would pay for. First, they said they didnt have any carts available to carry the luggage up as they were doing renovations.We were also told they didnt have any bridges to connect our laptop with but after some time did manage to find one. Since we were continueing on after them for 2 weeks it took about 10 trips up and down to get everything to the room. They also assured us when we checked in that we would be put in a room that we could stay in and not be moved due to renovations and to just check with them when our free nights were up so they could check us out and check us in again. On Sunday, the 11th I went to do that when we were eating breakfast, leaving my husband to finish eating. I was told we would have to move up another floor or down to the end of the hall on the same floor but if we did that we would probably smell a strong odor due to the renovation that was all of a sudden going to be done in our area that day. I told them what we were told at check in-it did not matter-then told them I would speak to my husband. He went to talk to them as I stood in the doorway of the eating area and reiterated the same thing I had just told them. The girl started screaming and yelling and then said he was intimidating her. He said it was the other way around and to please stop her screaming and yelling. The boy was trying to push her in the back, telling her to shut up, that he would take care of it while she kept up her screaming. We asked to see the owner and were threatened with security. Meanwhile I went back up to the room to call the Clarion in Gatlinburg, Tn to see if they could move up our arrival date to that date which they did. I also called Choice who asked me to call Monday when the office was open to lodge a formal complaint which I did. The girl at Choice also called Comfort Suites on the other line and said she was very rude and belligerant with her also. Let me add we had been coming to this area for about 12 years every year with about half of them staying in a cabin. The manager finally did show up, tried to smooth things over by apologizing for the girls behavior and also told us they were boyfriend and girlfriend. He also said they had a high turnover rate. Of course by the time he got there the girl had tried reversing the whole story and even added that my husband had cursed at her when in fact he hadnt even raised his voice. Needless to say we will never stay there again and would never recommend this place to anyone even though we had in the past. At least not while the present staff is there. I personally think the boyfriend and girlfriend working together is the main problem as it seems like she is trying to impress him with how tough she thinks she is. As far as the cleaning crew, they were very nice, we had them check our room before we left and they said they have had problems with her too. She likes to scream at everybody. She should definately not be working with customers.

• Liked — Room was ok
  • Disliked — The way we were treated by staff,no carts,being told to change rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I booked a room at Comfort Suites in Cherokee, NC based on reviews of other guests on Tripadvisor.com however I was highly disappointed. While the staff was friendly and accomodating, the rooms smelled "sour" and the furnishings were tatty. There was a used bar of soap as well a half bottle of shampoo in the shower so presumably that had not been cleaned. They advertise high speed internet but it's first come, first serve for modems at the front desk and reception is touch and go. There is WiFi in the lobby area. Would choose Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express next time.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

A clean, newer property with relatively large rooms. In a good state of repair and in a decent location. Staff was helpful with some billing errors. Overall very good, and soon going completely smoke free.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!