“Very Happy!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee

You added Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee to your Saves list
Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37 Tsalagi Rd., Cherokee, NC 28719 (Formerly Holiday Inn Cherokee)   |
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Cherokee
atlanta
“Very Happy!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here march 23rd to the 25th. It was an awesome trip. The staff here was very friendly when we checked in. They have the best breakfast in town. The room needs to be updated but we spent most of our time at the casino anyways. We won a jackpot so it was even better to go back to the quiet hotel. I will absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. A lot of the motels in Cherokee are sketchy so we were very happy to stay here when we pulled up. Thank you for a wonderful birthday weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We drove 3 hours from TN to NC the Saturday of Presidents Day Weekend we arrived at 11:30 pm and had a reservation at the Comfort Inn across the street. When we arrived to check in the comfort inn said " sorry we don't have a room for you try Bryson City or sleep in your car". Long and horrible story short we went across the street to the Chestnut Inn the clerk on duty Kyle informed us he was booked up but gave us a list of area hotels we could call, he then took our number and said he was in the process of doing his evening paper work and audit the system for doubles. Wonderfully enough he called an hour later with a room. That is great customer service our original reservation wasn't even with them and they went above and beyond the call of duty. The room was clean and everything in good operating order he even gave us a late check out to give us time to recoupe. I would highly recommend because you pay for customer service as well as a room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The only reason I stayed here is because it's an overflow from Harrah's when they are booked up but are willing to comp you. So they send you to Chestnut Tree Inn. Why they would want to associate themselves with this hotel I'm not sure, but my guess is because this is the best of the empty hotels in the area so there is plenty of room for their guests. We arrive to an attractive lobby done in typical mountain cabin type decor. Check in was "old school" in the way that they didn't check ID, didn't take my credit card, just took my name and gave me keys. I wasn't opposed to this, it made life easier, but it's not exactly the safest practice.

We were told to go around the building, park the car and walk through a breezeway to get to our room. We were put on the back side of the hotel where there is no parking so if you are staying alone and walking through at night, it can be quite scary for sure. Thankfully I only walked in and out with my husband so it was okay.

The room was basic, small and outdated. A small TV, very hard beds, and a bathroom that you can barely turn around in. At first I thought it was clean but then upon entering the bathroom I see a spit ball type thing on the wall with hair stuck into it - GROSS! One wipe of a tissue and it was off so I'm guessing the housekeepers didn't feel like taking the time to get it off because if they had been in there for 30 seconds they would have seen it, it was huge. The longer I spent in the room itself, the more I wished I was back in Harrah's hotel but I just kept telling myself that it was free :)

The breakfast the next morning was complimentary... my husband enjoyed it as it was a "man's country breakfast" complete with grits, biscuits and gravy, sausage, and french toast. Not an ounce of fresh fruit or anything "diet friendly" and the food wasn't that good to begin with. Either way, I was just happy it was time to go home after that.

I gave it 3 stars because it was free. If I had to pay I would have given it a 2 star because in my youth I have stayed in worse and I know there is worse out there but even if Harrah's gave me another free room there I wouldn't stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the front side so you aren't walking through a deserted breezeway at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Fort Mill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Last Friday I went with four friends to the casino in Cherokee. It was fully booked, so we found this hotel online. Everything about the hotel itself was very good -- the rate, the cleanliness, the comfortable beds and the variety of pillow types. My only two complaints were regarding the dinner buffet and the breakfast. We checked in around 8 p.m. and decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. The only dinner available was the Prime Rib/Seafood Buffet for $17.95. This isn't a bad price if you like frog legs, shrimp scampi, fried oysters, and peel and eat shrimp. Unfortunately, I don't care for seafood, so the only other items on the buffet were the prime rib, baked potatoes, mac and cheese and a modest salad bar (and chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding and "cooked" peaches). There were no vegetables at all. Even the cream of asparagus soup had crab meat in it! If you are a seafood lover, you can definitely get your money's worth at this buffet. If not, you have no alternative but to pay the $17.95 and eat the few other items.

The most surprising thing, however, was at the breakfast buffet. It had a nice variety -- grits, biscuits, sausage and gravy, oatmeal, fried potatoes, link sausage, bacon on request and French toast. The complimentary buffet was free to hotel guests and $7.95 for non-guests. The beverages available were coffee, tea and soft drinks -- all complimentary. However, a glass of juice (whether you were a guest of the hotel or not) cost $2.25. I only object to this because someone can eat their weight in bacon and sausage, etc. for free but a light eater like me has to pay $2.25 for a glass of orange juice. I know that buffets are better deals for some than others but, seriously, whoever heard of a complimentary breakfast where you had to buy a glass of orange juice?

So, the hotel experience was good and I would recommend staying here, but eat somewhere else if you are not a seafood lover (and bring your own juice for breakfast!).

Room Tip: Ask to be booked into a room on the parking lot side to avoid a hike to your room on the non-lot sid...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
MIDDLESBORO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We arrived in torrential rain after a late night Polar Express ride with our grandchildren. We were tired but the manager made everything easy -where to go ,what to do and knew just how to make us relax and feel comfortable-The room was clean and updated. The hotel staff outstanding-the gift shop had a lot to offer at reasonable prices-a nice breakfast was included-and the indoor pool topped off the stay with nice clean areas and no overwhelming chlorine smell-if that wasn't enough....the price was unbeatable!!!There was not much for dining out closeby-Pizza Hut or other fast food-sorry- I would definitely recommend this establishment! What a great gift of time with those you love at something you can afford.

Room Tip: the pool is on the second level so if you want to be close esp when its cold get a room closer to th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I called ahead for a late arrival due to a death of my father in law. When I arrived the door was locked and after thirty minutes I located the front desk person. My room was below 32 degrees when I went in and it took 4 hours for it to warm up to where I could get to sleep. Breakfast was a night mare with the waiter coughing and blowing his nose in open sight. The waiter sneezed over my plate when bringing my food and I was advised they had no grits after I placed the order. I had scheduled to stay here for two days but checked out the same day as this is not a place I would stay. The staff never stayed behind the desk and the waiter should have been taught manners and how to conduct himself with customers. This was a bad experience from check in to early check out.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the Chestnut Inn
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Good front desk staff. Room is fine. Only problem was inattentive breakfast staff. Would stay again. Don't rely on your GPS or smart phone to get you there...call hotel and ask for directions (they're used to it by now).

Room Tip: Outside entrance to rooms, so consider that in bad weather.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee? Share your experiences!