“Don't expect much” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 27 hotels in Cherokee
“Don't expect much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Outside a stream runs behind the hotel in the Great Smokey Mountains, check in was smooth and everything was looking good... then we entered our room. First impression was the room was dark. Well, that's because several light bulbs were burned out. The bathroom had ants swarming on the counter and floor. The beds were bedbug free, but in my opinion, uncomfortable.
The free breakfast was what you get anywhere, but they did have two varieties of hot gravy.

I would suggest you shop around before deciding on this one.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shea T, Assistant General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Housekeeping obviously didn't check the lights very well when they were cleaning. I'm not sure if front desk was aware of the light issue but they have extra bulbs and they could have changed them out for you if requested. As far as the ants, we have had Terminex here on the property to spray so hopefully we have that issue under control. They seem to be worse this year for whatever reason. Maybe because we didn't have a very cold winter last year. The bed situation is tricky. We have some guests that love them and want to take them home and then we have others that are not so fond of them. It's like a 50/50 shot we have. We try to have clean comfortable rooms that our guests enjoy and that please everybody but sometimes it's just not that easy to do. I know the owner is planning some renovations and maybe doing some upgrades in the near future so hopefully you will give us another try down the road.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Some of us like to sleep in. But that's impossible at Quality inn !!! It starts around 8:30 am. The housekeepers use the latch to keep rooms unlocked when people check out. Over and over, bam. bam. BAM. Damn. I'm trying to sleep. Can they not be trained to catch the DOOR??????? How hard is this to fix. ??????? I'll be here for 3 days, let's see if something is done ?????

• Stayed October 2013
Shea T, Assistant General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I'm glad you liked our hotel but I'm sorry you had problems while staying here. Our housekeeping does get carried away sometimes when they are in a hurry. They open doors to clean or to strip the room and get all dirty linen and don't realize people are still sleeping. They just rush and let the doors close and then the slamming starts. I am having a housekeeping meeting Friday or Saturday when the whole staff is here and we will discuss that issue as well as others that they need to work on. Front desk or myself don't always hear the noise depending on what hall it's on or just the fact that we are sometimes caught up in other things and we just don't notice it as much. I know it bothers you as well as other guests. I have encountered it at other hotels I have stayed at. It's not very pleasant. Hopefully once we have the meeting it will take care of most of it and get these issues resolved. I hope this won't deter you from staying with us again and you will give us another chance.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My mother and I recently stayed here for a weekend trip to the casino. We were "iffy" at best due to other reviews on TripAdvisor. However, the check-in process was a breeze with a very quick and friendly front-desk staff. The lobby is decorated very nicely with coffee and tea service available. Our room was 161 in Building D on the ground floor. When we opened the room to the door I said, "Ok. Here we go." took a deep breath and walked in. Much to our delight the room was very well maintaned. The bathroom was very clean and well-lit. The shower encloser was very nice and spotless! The shower curtain showed no signs of mildew or other disrepair. The beds were comfy with 4 pillows each. The room also had a nice wet bar area with a coffeemake and fridge (always a plus)! The best feature of this room was the balcony which overlooked the river. It was very nice to make coffee in the mornings and sit on the balcony and watch the ducks play in the river. We would be delighted to stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Shea T, Assistant General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for posting such a nice review. Your feedback was terrific. I know you can't trust all reviews about hotels because you never know if some guests just didn't get their way about things or what was going on especially when you see good reviews about the same hotel. You just don't know what to expect. I'm glad we surpassed your expectations and you were pleasantly surprised. The rooms on the river are our best selling point. The view is so nice and pretty and you get to see the ducks and or geese. Sometimes you may even catch a glimpse of their babies tagging along behind. You went into such detail about the room bragging on all of it, I didn't know where to begin my response. We do thank you again for the review and I hope you stay with us when you are back in the Cherokee area. Safe travels.
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

we stayed a week, close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, many places to eat nearby, right at the edge of the small town, if interested, see the Cherokee Indian Museum, walk the shops, they are full of shirts and china gifts, some shops outside of town have authentic items made by the Cherokee, be careful, look around, we found more outside of Cherokee, going toward Maggie Valley, and in downtown Bryson City, which is a must see also, shops of all types, many places to eat, Smoky Mountain Railway also,,, the whole area is a must see, plan a week to see it all,

Room Tip: couples get a room in the 3 lower buildings, kids and family a room near the pool, for obvious reaso...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review of our hotel. Positive feedback is always a good way to give our staff a little extra boost to know they are doing a good job. I know if you look at reviews online for hotels some are not that great but unless you know the circumstances that go along with that review it's really not fair sometimes. That's why I try to respond to most of ours that we get for the Quality Inn. You appreciate all feedback good or bad because it always helps you improve where you need to. The good reviews such as yours just don't always shine through. Sad to say but it's true. Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for promoting the area also. A lot of guests come for Harrahs but I'm glad to hear you took in more area attractions and did some sight seeing. We would love to have you back again when you are in the Cherokee area. Have safe travels.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

When I walked into my room, I immediately noticed a stale odor from cigarette smoke. I went up to the desk to try to change rooms and to give the reason why. The clerk told me that I was given a non-smoking room and never apologized even though she knew that I was upset. She did take a minute to look for another room for me, but all the non smoking rooms were taken. I couldn't sleep that night because the linens and blanket smelled of smoke..I would never recommend this motel and will not return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Shea T, Assistant General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for the feedback because it is always welcomed. I'm sorry you had trouble with your room while staying at our hotel. I understand your room smelled like smoke upon entering. We do have some smoking rooms on the property but if a guest checks in and one smokes and the other doesn't. Sometimes they will smoke outside on the balcony and if they do not close the door the odor will come back into the room. Either way I'm sorry about this and had housekeeping noticed we could have done a better job with odor and hopefully avoided this situation. I see that you had asked the front desk to move you but if we didn't have another non-smoking room available then they could have sprayed the room for you and or used carpet sprinkles to help with the smoke smell. If housekeeping had noticed we could have thrown the pillows away and replaced them. Also we could have swapped out the bed linens for new ones. These are just different options we could have tried. I'm sorry to hear that you would not give us another try in the future but I hope that you would change your mind in the future.
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Called a few hours after checkout and was told housekeeping hadn't cleaned my room yet and to call back the next morning. Asked them to check then, was told to call back in 15 minutes. Turns out the room HAD been cleaned, and the watch had not been found. The supervisor did not find this suspicious and insists they have no security cameras etc to check the hallway. I know I'll probably never get my husband's watch back, but I want public record of this happening so that the next time it happens they can't say "it's not a problem here"

• Stayed October 2013
Shea T, Assistant General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
I understand your frustration about this issue but I was one of the people you spoke with about this over the phone the day you checked out. At the time you first called I didn't know the room was clean because when housekeeping cleans a room they code the room in as clean over the phone. They punch in their code and it shows up in the computer system as clean. This certain room had not been coded in. The front desk clerk was the first to go check and then I went myself after I spoke to you. That is when I discovered the room had been cleaned but the housekeeper had forgotten to code it in. I spoke to the housekeeper and the houseman that stripped all the dirty linen and neither one of them had found anything. I searched this room with flash light. I moved all the tables and searched all around the bed and even pulled the bed away from the wall to make sure it hadn't fallen behind it. Keep in mind this same houseman had stripped more rooms earlier and found a wallet with cash in it. He turned this in to me and the housekeeping supervisor himself and had a note attached with it with the room number on it where it was found. The guest from that room called back later and asked if we had found the wallet and even stated how much cash was in it and it was exactly what the houseman had turned in. I have a hard time believing if he was going to take anything out of a room why he would turn cash in and take your watch. A watch being something that could be traced if sold at a pawn shop, considering you stated you filed a police report on it. If and when the local police contact us we will be more than willing to give them any information they ask for including a list of names of employees that were working that day. I know you stated to me it was an anniversary gift but to my housekeeping supervisor she said you stated it was a fathers day gift. Either way no matter what kind of gift it was I hope this works out and we can all put this behind us.
VENICE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I'm giving this hotel an AVERAGE because......this hotel is very large and we were given a very nice large room with a balconey overlooking the river.....nice start until I couldn't get Internet reception which is very important to me. I called the front desk and they said they knew they had a problem but hadn't been successful in getting the problem fixed. The desk clerk I spoke to was very curt and told me it was my responsibility to request a room with Internet accessibility. I spoke to the assistant manager the next morning and reported my experiences and all she offered was "we're sorry."

When a hotel advertises WiFi....i expect to have WiFi access and I become an unhappy guest when I don't feel the proper attempt has been made to accommodate this request. We do long road trips every year and the Internet is my connection to take care of everything while we're away from hom.

Room Tip: If you need Internet access....make sure they assign you a room that has WiFi available (and working...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry you had trouble with the wi-fi connections. Our service is through the local Cherokee Cable office. They have been doing some trial and error things to help boost the signal strength. They obviously still have work to do. They are suppose to be coming back to try more things and we will see how that works. We let them know when we get guest complaints about the service or connectivity problems. I know wireless is very important to most guests now so we are trying to get this problem resolved. The connection does seem to be better in the main building but we want it to be accessible to everyone on the property. Hopefully we can accomplish this goal very soon.

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!