“Felt right at home.....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Executive Package Savings
Ranked #66 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Virginia
“Felt right at home.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

From the moment I walked in the door the staff and accommodations welcomed me. Check-in was quick and efficient and the cookie was an added treat. The hotel was full, so the room upgrade I requested wasn't available - which was no problem. However, the staff immediately comped the breakfast buffet for the next morning! The room was very nice - seemed to have been recently upgraded and everything was clean and worked perfectly. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the amenities extra nice. The computers in the business center were always available and fast and the grounds were very pleasant. This hotel is located in a safe, quiet business district, yet very close to the airport. It was perfect for my needs and I hope to visit again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife and I stay here whenever we plan to travel from CLT Douglas Airport. This hotel has terrific rates (especially if you are a HHonors Member) and takes excellent care of their guests.

We were particularly drawn to this hotel as they offer a "Park n Fly" program as well as great rooms and very comfortable beds! Room service is excellent and the staff are very courteous.

Give them a try...the airline flight crews stay here too!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

Seldom do you find the quality of service and such a friendly staff at an airport property. I travel 200 days a year and this was by far one of the best properties that I have stayed at. I will definitely stay there again when in Charlotte.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Bracebridge, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Firstly, I'd like to point out something. I've read reviews on this travel site for years and find that many people's expectations are often far too high; they expect to receive the facilities and amenities of the Plaza for a Days Inn price. You get what you pay for, adjust your expectations for the room and staff accordingly.

My wife and I traveled to Florida for two weeks and used this hotel as our stay on night one. After 12 hours on the road we were happy to be welcomed by a friendly staff member bearing the traditional Doubletree warm cookies. After a seamless check-in we headed to our room (note: odd design of the hotel...the elevators are a bit of a walk from the front desk past some salon rooms and around a couple corners. It's not a negative, just something I don't see that often).

We were given a room with a King bed. The ample size room also contained a desk, sitting chair and floor lamp and flat-screen TV. Unlike many of the comments on this hotel, we noticed no smoke or other negative odors. The room had clearly been redone fairly recently, the telltale sign always being the bathroom...nice new granite counter-top but a few too many coats of paint on the door and trim from years of service...not a big deal to me.

Not being a micro-freak about the condition of every single thing in the room, I found it very pleasant with an exceptionally comfortable pillow-top bed, decent sitting chair, good TV and functional bathroom...my "big-four" of hotel-room rating points.

Check-out was as easy as check-in and we're were gone by 9:00 AM well rested and very happy with our stay...especially since it was a $50.00 Priceline booking.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I needed to stay one night near the CLT airport after a late arrival. Booked this on Priceline. Check-in was very efficient. BUT I went to my room and immediately smelled smoke --- not fresh smoke, but it was a smoking room. I looked at the door, and sure enough there was a smoking ok sign on it. i called the front desk to see if they had a non-smoking room, which is what I had requested on Priceline. They said i was in a non-smoking room. I said I had checked the door and it was clearly a smoking room, and it smelled like it. She said, well it is a non-smoking room, but I will check on another room. Back to the front desk. On the way out, I got a guest in the hall to smell the room, and he said "definitely smoking."

I got to the front desk and the clerk / manager was on the phone. The other clerk asked if she could help, and I said "She (pointing to the other one) is going to get me into a non-smoking room." The first clerk then hung up the phone and said, "You were in a non-smoking room." I said, "I'm not clear how you can say that when the sign says smoking and the room smells like smoke." To which she replied that they had recently converted some rooms to non-smoking. Ha ha ha. Recent must have been 15 minutes ago. Anyway off to room 2.

Room 2 had a non-smoking sign on it, but when I walked it, it had the same very-smoked-in smell. Not fresh smoke, but clearly a smoking room, too. I didn't even pull my bags in. Another guest, a 30-something well-dressed exec type (which is my normal dress), was passing by and willing to smell the room. He said he didn't even have to go in. It reeked of old smoke. He said he heard some other complaints about rooms when he was checking in at the desk. I walked back up to the desk.

"But sir, that room is non-smoking! "

"Again, I had another guest smell the room with me to have a sanity check, and it has been smoked in and not freshened. I would like a room that has been non-smoking room for a while if you have it."

They gave me a room on the 3rd floor, which had an old-looking non-smoking sign on the door. I went in; it smelled completely normal, and I went to bed and slept well.

In the morning I told the new manager this story, calmly and with no-one else around. I was going to let it drop and not write a review --- BUT she again told me my original room was non-smoking, but they ran out of signs when they converted the room. I told her that the room definitely required a refreshing to be non-smoking.

Know about all those $200-300 fees for smoking in a room. Aren't those for cleaning the drapes, walls, and carpet? They can get a maid for 16-20 hours for that amount of money and give up a night of room rent. But the Doubletree Airport Charlotte had decided to convert these rooms with, apparently, no real work. Just call it a non-smoking room, and VOILA!

The main thing that needs to change, though, is the attitude. Front desk clerks should not try to convince customers that they are wrong when the customer is clearly right.

I would be remiss in not mentioning that the restaurant breakfast was mostly good (only the omlette tasted off), and the manager/waitress on duty was professional and sweet.

• Liked — Room was comfortable, breakfast staff was nice
  • Disliked — Smoking room hassle - had to change twice and get contradicted by front desk
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WNY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Great place to stay while enroute to Florida from NY. Beds are comfy and rooms are well appointed. Staff was very helpful. The hotel is a little way off of the interstate and there are not many restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but the hotel itself was superb!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — proximity to interstate
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Hotel is well appointed. Room was very nice. Front desk staff not overly helpful. Beware: internet access in room is a $10 charge per day. Shuttle to airport was wonderful. Breakfast costs and is expensive.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — fee for internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!