“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Virginia
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

I booked the room through Priceline for $60/night (2 nights) and after reading the reviews, was a bit nervous about how our stay would go. Check-in was easy and the front desk person, Sharon, was very helpful. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel is located near many restaurants and malls. We stayed here during race weekend at Lowe's and had no problems whatsoever getting to Concord and back.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Having to pay for internet service.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

The hotel was very nice. Check in was easy and the rooms were comfortable. I almost always stay in the Hilton chain of hotels and very rarely have had any problems, but there was a slight exception with this one. I chose this location, because I was flying out of CLT early in the morning and I could park and fly from the doubletree. The problem I had was a security issue. Our shuttle was at 4:30am. When we went to the lobby to catch it, there were other guests there dealing with car break ins. Four cars had been broken into during the night. From what we heard, this is not a unusual occurance at this property. The lot is fairly well lit and the cars that were broken into were under lights and torwards the front of the lot. The staff said they believe the break ins happened between 7-8pm, but they didn't call the police until 1am. Then, they didn't alert the owners until 3am. There were no security cameras, only a large sign when walking in from the parking lot telling you to not leave any valuables in your car. One of the groups whose suv was broken into had left all there luggage in the car b/c they were catching a very early flight. They lost everything and had to cancel their overseas trip. Granted, they shouldn't have left bags in their car, they should have been able to trust that a upscale hotel would have a monitored parking lot. The staff did not seem helpful or at all empathetic. I was really worried about leaving my car there, after that, but made sure to make it obvious that nothing was in it for someone to bother trying to steal. So, basically, the building was fine, the parking lot was not.

• Liked — location, rooms
  • Disliked — security
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

This hotel is a nightmare. I've had the misfortune of staying here twice in the last several days, as I booked through Priceline and couldn't change my second reservation.

Reservation #1: Arrived at the hotel at 12:30am only to be told that the hotel was oversold and there "might" be a room at a nearby Hilton. First words out of the clerk's mouth were "when you booked the reservation today..." Uh, no, I had booked weeks in advance. Normally when hotels are oversold, they put you up at a different hotel at their expense. Not this place -- I was told I was on my own to find a place in the middle of the night and could later request a refund from Priceline. Miraculously, they "found" a room for me at the Doubletree when I pitched a fit and would not back down.

Reservation #2: No problems with securing a room, however I am typing this from the hotel at 3:30AM because I can't sleep thanks to the loud party across the hall. I have complained twice to the front desk, which promised to send someone up to resolve the issue. Since I can hear everything, I'm fairly confident in stating that no one has been sent up here.

The service at this hotel is appalling. To add insult to injury, I did not receive my chocolate chip cookie at either check-in.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

While this was a very nice, clean, beautiful hotel. Upon checking in we received coupons for cookies that we're suppose to be available upon check-in. They were out of cookies. We had reserved our room well in advance, so it is not like we were an unexpected guest. Hotel was very quiet, 99% of staff was very friendly and helpful. However, when returning to the hotel one night after midnight we found the doors to be locked. Nobody had mentioned anything to us about how to get in. To make a long story short, the woman who was at the front desk on third shift on this night, was so EXTREMELY RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL, that I will never, ever give my money to another Hilton hotel. Sad that one person can completely ruin an otherwise wonderful stay, I also think it is a shame that they would have someone with such nonexistent customer service skills to be working with the public.

• Liked — The extremely comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Extrememly rude front desk woman on third shift
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

When I booked this room through Hotwire, I received an excellent rate ($49/night). I can say that I did encounter a few surprises upon my arrival; i had been booked into a smoking room, though it had been cleaned enough that I could not detect a smoke odor. There was a lingering aroma of cleaning chemicals in the hallway that reminded me of a much lesser esteemed hotel brand.

Check-in was very efficient; the lone clerk on duty was pleasant despite the late hour. I was disappointed to find that internet access is complimentary only in the hotel lobby; in the rooms it is a $9.95 charge per day, which is not specified on the hotel website.

The room had a very comfortable bed. Furnishings were nice, though they are beginning to show their age. The draperies are a definite drawback; there are only the privacy shears and not actual drapes to draw closed. The television is a flatscreen model, but had an annoying box that had "Channel 3-" in the upper left corner that would not go away no matter what I tried. The cable options are very limited compared to other hotels I have stayed at in recent weeks.

For the price I paid for the room, I am quite satisfied. However, there is no way I would have been willing to pay much more than that. If you want a clean, basic room, this is a good option.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the room.
  • Disliked — Paying additional fees for internet access, very thin draperies.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I got stuck at the airport due to a problem with the airline and they put me up in this hotel. I dreaded the evening, but was quite surprised with this property. The restaurant and bar were really nice (great food) and the room was quite comfortable. When I arrived I figured this would be the typical motel, but frankly I found the property to hold its own against some of the higher end chains I normally stay in. Comfortable bed, great big flat screen televisions, etc. Nice place to stay---especially if you are stranded at the airport.

Stayed March 2008
Ojai, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We were disappointed with the hotel. Not up to "Doubletree"-snuff. The room was adequate, but we could hear the neighbors, not to mention the airplanes. We requested a cot for our daughter. They brought it up with no bedding and asked if we would like it put it down where we wanted it! I was baffled.

When we returned from our trip, the Courtesy Van took 50 minutes to pick us up at the Charlotte airport. The hotel is 5 minutes away. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!