“Nice Marriott with a classic charm - outstanding elite lounge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charlotte Marriott SouthPark

You added Charlotte Marriott SouthPark to your Saves list
Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 Rexford Rd., Charlotte, NC 28211 (Formerly The Park Hotel) (Barclay Downs)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
American Girl® Package
Ranked #37 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Nice Marriott with a classic charm - outstanding elite lounge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was stranded in Charlotte in the blizzard of 2014 and lucky to find a Suburban to get me here. The staff in all areas of the hotel were warm and receptive. The elite lounge is one of the best lounges with offerings and amenities. The property is not as modern/contemporary as other full service Marriott properties, but has a great warm classic charm. Highly recommend. Also, great value compared to the downtown Charlotte properties.

Side-Note. One of the few Full Service Marriott/Courtyards in Charlotte that allow external devices connected to their Televisions (good for giving parents bringing entertainment for kids).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We've stayed here before on a booking via Priceline; it's a good, 3.5* hotel located close to some great parts of southpark. However, immediately within walking distance of the hotel, there isn't all that much that one would want to see; its more in a commercial park. Hotel itself is fine though. Easy/free parking and access to the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMRHR, General Manager at Charlotte Marriott SouthPark, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We’re glad to hear that you are a returning guest and enjoyed the local SouthPark area. If you return to the Charlotte area, please be sure to ask one of our Ambassadors at the front desk for suggestions of places to go and ways to explore other parts of our city; we want to make sure you get the most out of your visit with us!
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My two day stay at the Marriott South Park February 13 and 14 was purely out of necessity. I was one of 1,000's of airline passengers stranded in Charlotte because of a massive snowstorm that paralyzed the city and grounded all air traffic. I chose the hotel pretty much at random because all the hotels downtown and near the airport were booked. I wasn't really sure what to expect.

From the moment I walked in the door, I was treated with kindness and sympathy from the staff, many of whom I found out later, were also stranded because of the weather conditions. The front desk folks checked me in quickly and efficiently. The room I was assigned was beautifully decorated. It seemed like it had just been redone and matched the lovely lobby décor. Loved the comfortable queen sized bed with huge pillows. The television featured just about every channel one would possibly need for a couple of nights stay. The toiletries included a toothbrush and toothpaste, something I've never seen in all my travels. And, there were complimentary bottles of water as well as the usual in room coffee. I would have loved complimentary Wi-Fi but there were guest computers in the lobby where I was able to print my boarding passes and check my emails. There was complimentary tea, coffee and fruit available during the day in the lobby.

The restaurant was packed Thursday night. The servers were extremely busy making sure everyone was served in a timely manner. They were friendly, outgoing and energetic. It wasn't till the next morning at breakfast I found out that at least two of them had been working 18 hour days and sleeping at the hotel because they couldn't get home. The food in the restaurant was well prepared and tasty. I did not notice cold eggs or coffee as mentioned in a previous review. The breakfast buffet ranged from $10 to $16 dollars per person, depending on one's choice. My only concern regarding the restaurant was the rather limited menu. But, the wine list was amazing.

I want to commend my two servers, Cory and Tamara. They never stopped smiling during the ordeal we all shared. Also, I want to thank my housekeeper, Crystal. She left my room spotless. Didn't get the names of the front desk staff. But, they all deserve accolades. This was not an easy time for the citizens of Charlotte. Having tired, crabby stranded passengers inundate their city added to the difficulties created by over a foot of snow and icy roads. The staff of the Marriott handled all this with grace and Southern charm.

Thank you, Marriott! Despite a couple of little things that could have been different, you deserve the 5 stars I'm giving you for "courage under fire", so to speak!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
We are very thankful for your detailed review and appreciation of our staff during the snow storm. While we can’t control the weather, we can control our actions and attitudes and I’m happy to hear how much you enjoyed everyone you came in contact with. I will be sharing your review with Cory, Tamara and Crystal, as well as our kitchen staff since you enjoyed our food so much. Though we may have been a hotel chosen at random, we hope you have a reason to come and visit us again!
Southeast USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from 2/10-2/13. From the minute I walked in, I was treated like a valued guest. The check-in process with efficient and friendly, and the room was perfectly clean. I did have to hunt for the coffee maker, which I found in a drawer underneath the television, but no big deal. The standard toiletries were higher end than you usually find in a chain hotel. I opted to eschew the ones I'd brought and use theirs instead. Room service was prompt and courteous, and the food on site was par excellence.

But let's get to the real highlight of the stay - a young lady named Tamara. While I was there, a winter storm descended on Charlotte, and everyone was pretty much stuck at the hotel, whether worker or guest. Tamara was a constant point of reference for me. I watched her pull fifteen-hour shifts without thinking about breaking her smile, and pull it off flawlessly, even when dealing with other inebriated and grumpy guests at the restaurant. She was the gold standard when she delivered my room service at 6a sharp, and no different at 7p when she was handling a party of 20 in the dining area. Trust me on this Marriott, although everyone at the CMS was quite good, Tamara is the person you want to acknowledge and hold up as an example. Get this woman into upper management immediately, or at the bare minimum, get her a raise befitting her performance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your raving review about our hotel and staff, especially Tamara. While the snow storm did keep people from going places, our staff worked very hard to ensure our guests felt at home and enjoyed the time snowed in. Tamara is a devoted member of our team and I look forward to sharing your review with her. We are happy to hear that enjoyed our hotel room and restaurant food, we hope you have a chance to visit when the weather is more enjoyable!
Sumter, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I'm usually am embassy suites kinda lady. If this hotel would begin having complimentary breakfast they would really be into something good. It's a very comfortable place. It's clean. Comfortable room setting. Oh and I loved the pillows in the room. The setup of the hotel and professionalism of the staff didn't go unnoticed. Great job!

• Stayed February 2014
GMRHR, General Manager at Charlotte Marriott SouthPark, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your great review on our hotel. We are happy that you tried our brand and hopefully you will allow us to host you during your next stay in Charlotte, those amazing pillows will be waiting for you!
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Choose another hotel...there are plenty in the area! If you want to pay $70 for cold eggs and coffee, this is your hotel. You hear toilets flush all night long, the A/C runs all the time (real noisy), if you turn the air off, the heat comes on.....terrible system, poor and very limited television stations, the shower runs slowly but fills up the tub with dirty water, the sink and shower do not drain well, the grout in the bathrooms are filthy and tile missing, musty smelling rooms, and no help to the room with your bags. I had to make three trips to my room with my bags as I had a handicapped child staying with me. I had to bring him up first, leave him alone in the room, and then make two more trips for my bags. I asked for help, waited 10 minutes watching 4 people talk to each other behind the reception desk and then decided to make the three trips to the room myself getting just a smile
from the reception desk each time. The entry way of the hotel is beautifully decorated. It's as if they spent all their money in the front area and ran out of money in the rooms where it counts the most. It's as if the rooms haven't been updated for decades. Will not be back!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GMRHR, General Manager at Charlotte Marriott SouthPark, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Please accept our sincere apologies for your overall disappointment with your stay. We certainly understand that this is not the type of stay you would expect at a Marriott hotel, nor is this what we expect to offer. I will share your comments with the members of our management team, so that we can make the appropriate improvements necessary to enhance our guests experiences. I hope you will reconsider and allow us another opportunity to serve you and show you our true colors on your next visit to Charlotte.
Auburn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

For my first trip to Charlotte, this was the best experience I ever had. The staff was very friendly and welcoming from arrival, dining and departure. The hotel decor was excellent. I had dinner and breakfast, both were very good. Room was great and I slept fine. Wish I had a longer stay. The only complaint I have is that you had to pay extra for the internet...instead I used the hotel computer to print my boarding pass. All in all, great hotel in a great location. It is about 20 minutes away from the airport.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor. It was very quiet but I didn't have a view in room 229 except...
Green Features: The only thing I saw that was environment friendly was in regards to re-using towels.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Charlotte Marriott SouthPark? Share your experiences!