“not worth it” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“not worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was going to explain what our total experience was all about BUT then I thought I should tell you main facts. It was dirty, disgusting and very run down. The walls and doors were filthy and needed some fresh paint. There were finger prints and dirt marks everywhere. The shower was so Dirty and there was so much soap scum built up I did not even take a shower in the morning.I was afraid of what I might catch. The carpet was dirty and the overall feel of the place was creepy, dirty and scary. I did not walk any where without my slippers. There were also a lot of shady characters hanging around this place, we took everyhting out of truck just to be safe. There are many other hotels in the area I would recommend trying, they can not be any worse.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear purplepassion15,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review with us. I apologize for any issues you encountered with housekeeping. Please know that we have recently hired and trained all new housekeepers. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Greek first
Roswell, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This place is shabby and poorly maintained. The fresh coat of paint on the outside made it look okay. We reserved a room in advance because of the memorial Day Weekend and the races. We were passing through. The room appeared clean, but sparsely furnished, and very worn around the edges. Big dent in the door. No luggage rack or flat surface for suitcases. The oldest TV I've ever seen. The shower rod was bent in a U, and the shower handles were lose and barely worked. No plug in tub. No ice. No hangers. No tissues. No shampoo. No coffee. The air conditioner was so loud we had to turn it off and swelter in order to sleep. Other than that, the manager was polite and repaired (or exchanged) the broken lamp, and gave us a few extra napkin-sized bath towels on request. We didn't know it was a former Motel 6 until I asked. Now it's a Motel 2. We left before the sun was up. Never again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Go N,

Thank you for posting a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with us. We have recently hired and trained new housekeepers. We hope that these changes will enhance the overall experience.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days,we really enjoyed the stay.the staff was very friendly and were very helpfull.the rooms were nice and clean.my kids and wife really enjoyed the stay.the service was excellent.we felt very safe at the motel.after reading other reveiws i felt a great transformation happened at this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear kevinj60763,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns in the future.

Charleston, WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

The Hotel changed owners since the first time I stayed. It is in a A bad part of town with drug activity. They tried to change our rates to a higher rate than we reserved it for over the phone. They threatened to call the police on us because we were 15 minutes late checking out. Rude and nasty. I've never been treated like that before. It was also dirty!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

Don't stay here! Wouldn't honor price quoted on companies Web Site on race weekend. Area and employees scary. Decided to drive 3 hours after the race to Columbia, SC for a room rather than stay here!!!!!!! Now I know why they had rooms available on race weekend!!

Stayed October 2007
Leyland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

Looked a bit shabby by day, but room was small and clean but dingy. Checked in at 4pm in daylight, but by 8pm we were afraid because there were a lot of people hanging outside their rooms. It looked like a hotel where people live, not just stay overnight. Some people had like 4 dogs, kids were playing ball in the driveway, which was seriously in need of repaving.

By 11pm, we had the door chained up tight and I was afraid to sleep. We wanted to leave but we afraid of walking outside. We walked to the McDonald's adjacent to the property at around 8 and saw some creepy things happening and we ran back to our rooms.

At 12am we heard the room next to us door get kicked in and yelling "get on the ground". I called the front desk to ask if there were cops in front of our room and she said yup and hung up. We weren't sure if it was cops or a gang. We saw a swarm of cops and realized it was a drug raid. We promptly packed our things and left for a better hotel well outside the Charlotte area. We have since learned this location is in a known part of town for trouble. The desk clerk wasn't even at the desk when we left the key.

We have never been so afraid in our lives. We didn't know if there would be shooting or what. I thought we could expect a bit of security and decency with this name brand hotel, but it looks nothing like the photos posted and even if it did it still wouldn't make up for that night. I have written and complained to the corporation, so we will see what happens.

• Liked — that we left it alive
  • Disliked — Read my review.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this area of Charlotte at all costs
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Travel Inn? Share your experiences!