“understaffed hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Charlotte Center City

You added Hilton Charlotte Center City to your Saves list
Hilton Charlotte Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 East Third Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 (Second Ward)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Johnson City, Tennessee
“understaffed hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Woefully understaffed hotel. No staff available to help with luggage upon check in and no luggage carts available. Only one person at check in desk. Check in entrance is inadequate. Stuck between other cars for half an hour. Parking spaces in garage are so narrow you can't avoid dings from other cars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear MSL830: I am terribly sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. Our brand promise is to ensure every guest feels cared for and I apologize for the delay in our service. It sounds like you stayed with us on a recent weekend when we were vey busy. During busy weekends we have available four to five team members to assist with valet and baggage assistance. Our hotel standard is to always have a bell or valet team member available in the lobby but at times but when it is busy they may all be assisting guests at the same time. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
clayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. Sure appreciated the free wifi for my husband to be able to do work he needed to do and also be able to be there with us. Good location for us we were able to walk to the convention center where the tournament was being held and to restaurants. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling just as a couple I would get a king bed the double beds are small.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear chocolateturtles: Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for posting your review! I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom, our staff, and the center city location of our hotel. We hope to see you again soon should your travels bring you back to Charlotte! All the best!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My company selected this hotel for our annual sales kickoff. They couldn't have done better.

I had a King room (1126) it was at the very end of the hall. The view was nothing to speak of (and who cares) but the location was VERY quiet.

The bed sits at an angle in the room and it seemed to be a bit smaller than some of the others in my party got, having the feel of a cruise-ship cabin, but frankly, who cares? It was extremely comfortable.

There is a huge desk that runs the length of the wall. Plenty of room to spread out with all of my computer junk and work papers. An enormous flat-screen TV hangs over the desk, so watching Price is Right while I worked was kind of fun. The cable was exceptional with nearly 70 channels to pick from, including Bravo (as opposed to 12 ESPN channels and the news).

The coffee maker was a pod jobbie with Lavazza, I was excited at first, but the coffee was brewed weak, so that wasn't too much fun. There is no mini-bar in the room, but if you need one, the hotel will provide a small fridge.

The bathroom has a walk in shower. There was an issue with each fixture:

The shower. You have to move the shower-head so that it sprays against the wall, other wise you'll start your day with a dose of cold water.

The Sink: A very cool looking faucet, but hard to turn off completely. The water cascades out of a wide-mouth tap, and you have to really lean on it to turn off.

The toilet: Low flow, you have to keep pushing the handle until the contents have cleared the bowl.

The bed was very comfortable. Firm enough (not quite as plank-like as I prefer, but I'm an outlier). Cushy topper, lots of pillows, and a thick duvet. I fight with the duvets, because if you're comfy under it, it's too cold in the room. If it's comfy in the room, you roast under the duvet. There's a blanket in the large closet, but I didn't want to have to pull apart the bed to use it.

The clock radio is obnoxiously hard to set, and didn't wake me the first day. Use your phone alarm and/or ask for a wake up call.

The event staff were great. A/V was top notch, catering was so much better than it had a right to be and the meeting rooms were exactly the right size for our group.

The location downtown allowed for walking to lots of restaurants and bars, as opposed to getting into a bus or cab like you might have to in other cities.

We all thought Charlotte was an odd choice, but it worked out really well.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the edge of the building, away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear RuthlessBunny: Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us! We’re so glad your company selected Charlotte & our hotel for their annual sales kick-off event! Thank you for your very specific comments about the bathroom – our Engineering team is looking into the issues you mentioned. I appreciate you bringing them to our attention. It was great to hear that you found our event staff to be great. Hope to have you stay with us again in the near future! All the best!
Lancaster SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I LOVED this hotel! It was the best hotel i've ever stayed in and i've stayed in well over 100. It has everything you need right in the hotel! An olympic sized pool, basketball court, track, convenient stores, great restaurant, amazing comfortable classy bar, everything! The staff was very friendly. The place was clean, well taken care of, updated. Loved the room. I just got the standard king suite and it was very nice and clean. The bed was so comfortable, TV was huge, Enough lighting, enough storage space. Decor made you feel at home. LOVED the bathroom. It was very luxurious with a black granite counter top, the sink faucet was really nice and cool. Had every toiletry you could imagine. Huge glass shower with great water pressure. More than enough towels. Everything was great! Amazing views. I could not have asked for a better experience. i WILL be coming back to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ttruesdale: Thank you so much for your awesome review! So glad to hear that you had such a great experience! We look forward to your return! All the best!
York, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I like to stay in Hilton hotels, but this one was a slight disappointment. It was really a series of small issues that, if isolated, wouldn't have been a huge issue, but combined really created an overall unpleasant stay. I was there for 6 nights for business, and upon checking in, I discovered that there was no dresser in the room. The only drawers were two smallish drawers beneath the night stands on either side of the bed. That made for very inconvenient access, and a lot of back and forth around the bed each morning and night getting dressed and undressed. There is also a HUGE desk in the room, which was nice, but in the cabinet underneath where the refrigerator should be there was just a gaping cavity. When I asked the front desk for a refrigerator, I got a lecture on how I was supposed to ask for that in advance and they'd see if they could find one. Not an overall friendly front desk in general. When the refrigerator was delivered later, it was plugged into the wall and had to sit on my floor by the desk. The bathroom has a beautiful glassed in walk in shower, however the only shelf in the bathroom is a rectangle the size of a slice of pizza. Most of my shampoo, conditioner, face wash, etc...had to sit on the shower floor all week. Housekeeping kept my room nice and clean, however a lot of things went unnoticed by housekeeping (the eyes and ears in hotel rooms that need to communicate room issues so that they can be corrected before guests check in). My room was set to 82 degrees when I checked in and was a sauna. It took forever to cool down. My clock was 15 minutes fast and screwed me up the first day before I realized it. My sink sprayed a thin stream of water from the faucet onto the counter, and by the time I realized it my makeup and toiletries on the counter were sitting in a puddle of water. Overall feeling this hotel gave me was: Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Room Tip: If you need a refrigerator, request one early!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear JenniBean75: Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback as it draws attention to where we can make improvements. Our brand promise is to ensure every guest feels cared for and I apologize that our front desk team member did not tell that it would be our pleasure to bring a refrigerator immediately to your room. I will review with our housekeeping team the importance of checking that the temperature of the guest room is set at 70 degrees and that the alarm clock is correct. I will DM (direct message) to verify your room # to verify that the faucet in the bathroom was corrected. We clearly missed many details during your stay for which I again want to apologize. I can understand as you said – these inconveniences add up to create an unpleasant stay. Your feedback will certainly help us to be the best we can. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will consider staying with us again.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had 4 rooms on the 15th floor. The rooms were dated and the walls are very thin. You can hear what is happening in the bathroom, in the hall, down the hall, in the next room. No dressers, which makes unpacking awkward. No bathtubs, but the shower is nice.

The self-parking is odd and there isn't adequate valet staff, but the staff is nice.

The bed was old, and shook every time either my husband or I moved.

The halls weren't well maintained, and trays were left in the halls overnight. Room service took more than half an hour to get us lattes.

We were rudely jolted up at 2:15 in the morning because some drunk idiot pulled the fire alarm. The evacuation was extremely problematic - we couldn't even get into the single stairway because of the crowds. 45 minutes later, people are still straggling back to their rooms .... And we can hear them in the hall, can hear the doors opening and closing, can hear the water running in the bathroom next door....

I'd avoid.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Lots of other hotels nearby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear xraiderfan: Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback as it draws attention to where we can make improvements. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm that occurred early Sunday morning. Fortunately, it was a false alarm but the area fire department still had to investigate the situation in order to be sure. I can understand how this interrupted your sleep and I again want to sincerely apologize to you and all of our guests that stayed with us that night. Our hotel has two emergency stairwells on opposite ends of the guest room floors, but when the entire hotel is being evacuated the two stairwells can become congested. Once the fire department gave the all clear in addition to our 4 guest elevators team members were also directing guests to use two additional elevators that are normally only used by staff. I appreciate the effort made by our team members to try to get all guests back to their rooms as quickly as possible.
While we do not wish to disturb our guests at any time, we take fire alarms and the safety of our guests & team members very seriously. I again apologize for the inconvenience, and I do hope you give us another opportunity to show you what all the good reviews are about should your travel plans bring you back to the Charlotte Area.
Casper, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Hilton Charlotte City Center Hotel was beautiful. The employees were wonderful and very accommodating. The rooms were clean and beds very comfortable! The shower was terrific! Thank you for a perfect weekend!

Room Tip: The single King is perfect for one or two adults. Very roomy and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear M Sue G: Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! It was great to hear that you had a perfect weekend – so glad we could be a part of it! We look forward to your return! All the best!

Been to Hilton Charlotte Center City? Share your experiences!