“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Charlotte Center City

You added Hilton Charlotte Center City to your Saves list
Hilton Charlotte Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   222 East Third Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 (Second Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & WiFi
Ranked #46 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We spent the weekened here for a wedding. The hotel has a great location being within walking distance to most of the downtown attractions. It's a beautiful hotel with modern decor. Our room was a spacious corner room with a nice view of the downtown area. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Unike some of the other reviews we did not have problems with the hotel staff. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I was pleased to hear that you found the hotel staff met your needs, that we have clean guest rooms and that our “Hilton Serta Mattresses” was comfortable. We benefit from a great location and our guests enjoy being just a few steps fromm so many attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to our city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I spent 2 nights with the family 2 young boys and my wife in Charlotte and we picked this hotel because it's proximity to local attractions.

The good: Awesome location --- The hotel in in an excellent location, close to Nascar of Fame, Discovery Place, City Center, museums, sports stadiums, all within walking distance.

Clean rooms, no musty smell, everything was very tidy and clean.

The bad - Very small rooms, no mini-refrigerators, $8 additional per person to use indoor pool (although description says indoor pool). The 2nd floor (restaurants, gift shop etc.) are not associated with hotel so no discounts. first floor lobby for a 4 star hotel looks uninviting and more like a 2 star hotel lobby.

Overall just plain average, a bit pricey given what you get even.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor at least 10+ to avoid seeing building directly in your view when facing the west...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, which is conveniently within walking distance of all that Uptown has to offer. I’m also pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and refreshing. Our 400 room hotel does offer various room layouts because of the design of the building and apologize that you found your particular room to be small. We have recently placed refrigerators in all of our Executive Level guest rooms and we do offer complimentary refrigerators upon request. The 2nd floor of the hotel is called our “Plaza” area and the “Coastal Kitchen & Bar” specializing in Southern/Coastal Cuisine is operated by our hotel; however the gift shop is operated by independent small business owners. Our Lobby is located on the ground level and we have made many enhancements during our renovation in 2008 -- I apologize that you found this to be uninviting and we will certainly take your comments into consideration for our next renovation.

Athens, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

First, the good. Physically and visually, the hotel is very nice. The beds are comfortable, the TV large, the location good. My particular issue was with almost every encounter I had with the staff (with the exception of the valet attendants).

First, I had booked and pre-paid for one king room with valet parking. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told the valet lot was full. I politely made it clear we had already paid, and "we're full" was not acceptable. To their credit, they parked my car for me in the self-parking lot and gave me a ticket without a fuss.

When we got inside, we were told that there were no king rooms available, so we were getting two double beds. I stated that we had already pre-paid but to no avail. We went to the room, then down to the bar for a few drinks. One drink was easy to get. Me and the guy next to me practically had to shout at the bartender and ask for another beer (second beer of the night, so we were not being obnoxious and drunk) to be acknowledged. Later that night, I called the front desk to get a toothbrush and I had forgotten mine. I called once and it rang about 8 times. I hung up, and dialed again. The front desk lady picked up immediately and in a very annoyed tone, asked me how she could help. I was able to get a toothbrush.

Overall, the stay was pleasant, but in a Hilton, I just expect better service. Given the wide array of choices for hotels in the city center of Charlotte, many at good price points, I'd probably stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Don't pre-book your room, apparently.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable comments. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beds, our 42” HDTVs, the amenities and the location of our hotel. Also, I was happy to hear that our Valet staff took the opportunity to park your vehicle even though the valet lot was full. We receive great comments on our staff’s friendliness and helpfulness from our guests, but it seems that we failed you on this occasion. I would like to sincerely apologize for that. We try to accommodate all requests we receive from our guests regarding preferred bed type upon arrival, but sometimes we are unable to meet a request. I was disappointed to hear about your experience at the bar as well as with your request for a toothbrush. We will share your feedback with our team and make improvements.

I hope you give Hilton and our hotel another opportunity to share our passion with you as I am confident that we will meet and exceed your expectations in the future. Please feel free to contact me so I may personally handle your reservation.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is a nice hotel overall but does show it's age. We are Hilton Honors Gold and I was disapointed with the fact that we received no room upgrades even though the hotel was nowhere near capacity and according to the front desk staff, their were numerous rooms available on the executive floor. Our shower drain was stopped up and very slow to drain. I reported this twice to the front desk and although I can't say maintenance did not respond as we were gone during the day but the problem was not resolved and no one called to ask if it was ok which is not the norm when staying at a Hilton property. Breakfast buffet was awesome, the omeletes were excellent! The fitness center is part of a local YMCA and was closed which was a disapointment. Overall we had a great visit, just not pleased with the lack of an upgrade for being Honors Gold.

Room Tip: Be sure an ask for a city view!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable comments. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and our cooked-to-order omelets. The 50,000 sq.ft YMCA being connected to our hotel has been a source of much positive feedback; however, I do understand that the limited hours on weekends can be an inconvenience to our guests at times. We do offer passes to the Dowd YMCA on Sundays when the YMCA in our Hotel is closed.

In regards to the room and being a HHonors member, I sincerely apologize your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We do value all of our HHonors members and accommodate upgrade requests when possible, as well as provide our Gold Members with Executive Lounge access, complimentary internet, and complimentary access to the adjacent YMCA. We truly value our HHonors members as well as recognize the importance of their specific preferences.

I hope you give Hilton and our hotel another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations in the future. Please feel free to contact me so I may personally handle your reservation.
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011 via mobile

I stayed wiry my family at the Hilton for one night after a bobcats basketball game. The location is perfect and the rooms are big and clean. We got free room upgrades upon arrival and received free breakfast and free wine and cheese in the evening! Great stay!

• Stayed January 2011
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable comments.
I was happy to hear that you were pleased with the guestroom and that you enjoyed our location so close to many attractions like the Time Warner Cable Arena where the Bobcats play. I am glad that we were able to arrange an upgrade for you to our Executive Level, which offers a great selection of breakfast and appetizer options and that you enjoyed the private access and amenities. Again, we truly appreciate your comments, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Easley, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed in Charlotte for the ACC Championship. The hotel was very busy but it did not distract from service levels. The wait staff was very attentive. The concierge services were outstanding . The wait staff arranged town cars for $3/person for our travel throughout town. The in house restaurant was great for breakfast. The room was generous in size ( 50 % larger than the rooms in NYC), large bath/shower, and a comfortable bed and chairs.The location of the hotel to stadium was almost as good as a parking garage for the Bank of America stadium. The EpiCenter that provided food and entertainment options was only a block away. Overall great staff,great location, great stay.

Room Tip: The valet parking is only seven dollars more than self park and well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your feedback! I was very pleased to hear that you had an outstanding stay and so many positive comments to share. Again, we truly appreciate your comments, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Grand Haven, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

We located this hotel, right in the center of the city, on the Internet and secured a very nice price. Such a nice price that we were a little concerned about quality, but we need not have worried. Great staff, comfortable and clean room and bed, coffee in the registration lobby and a paper at the door. There were a couple of glitches that we ran into - parking is $18 per night. Since few will come in on a flying carpet they could at least mention this up front when the reservation is secured ... between this and the taxes it added over $45 per night to the cost! And, and this is really picky, we had a beautiful big flat screen TV that appeared to be pretty new but with no HDMI input. We do travel with IPads and use them in the evenings...but not here. Overall, having not stayed anywhere else here in Charlotte I might try another place when I come back but it would only be because of a sense of adventure. You will be pleased with your stay - we were!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was pleased to hear that you found the quality of our hotel to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations. Also, it was great to hear that you enjoyed our staff, the guestroom, and the free coffee we have available for guests in our lobby area. Since we are located in the center of the city, we aren’t able to offer free parking for our guests, but we do have a valet parking option available as well as a separately owned and operated parking garage connected to our building. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope your travels bring you to Charlotte and our hotel again in the near future!

Been to Hilton Charlotte Center City? Share your experiences!