“Raves about the Registration/Front Desk Personnel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Couples Getaway Package
Ranked #49 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Denver, Colorado
“Raves about the Registration/Front Desk Personnel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Marriott City Center gives you a great welcome upon check in and the Front Desk Personnel are most helpful. They are super knowledgeable about Charlotte, truly seem to love the city and their jobs. It was a great welcome. The hotel was very clean, well-appointed and sized rooms. A modern take on comfort.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was only at the hotel for two nights, but I could not ask for anything better. I went down with three friends for a football game and we decided to stay at the Marriott because that was where Big Blue Travel used, and I can see why now. It was within walking distance to the football stadium. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the city was very enjoyable. I would definitely stay there again, and would consider staying at other Marriott Hotels due to my great experience!

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip. I have no complaints about the staff, they were nice and welcoming. The room was clean and odorless, I understand that some of the rooms were renovated recently. I didn't have much of a view, but I guess that is what I paid for. The bathroom was clean, nice size and fully stocked every day. The hotel lacks any kind of complementary breakfast but there are plenty of places around the hotel to eat at. The WiFi was not free and was a bit expensive for daily use, in my opinion. That would be my biggest complaint, because at most nice hotels the WiFi is usually free. Parking is also with a fee, just like most hotels I have stayed at. Overall our stay was good, no real complaints except the expensive WiFi fee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night here. Location is great in Downtown Charlotte. Plenty of fine restaurants within walking distance and the bar/club district is only a block away. The Hotel itself is a little dated. Things have been updated - so the rooms are small but nice. I found the staff very polite and helpful. All in all a good stay. Priceline rate was $101 plus taxes per night.

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hi, my wife and I spent 21-23SEP12 at the "uptown" city center Marriott (corner of Tryon and Trade). The first trick was to find parking - we were there as part of a Marriage Retreat - and like other couples from out-of-town, finding the parking garage was very tricky. Parking is below the hotel and is only accessed from the front - where the Valet are located, but don't worry, wheel in there and get below through their hidden ramp! You can take an elevator back to lobby for check-in of course.

Our first impression, door man was fantastic pointing the way to the hidden parking ramp. However, upon reaching the front desk, a young, tall man was a bit sharp w/ his tongue w/ us. I blew it off, but everyone we met after (hotel staff- from Champions server, to maid on 9th floor, all the way to Charlie from F., SC) were fantastic!

The room was small and a bit dated, but the king bed and linens were fantastic. The AC was very quiet and did the job! Also, our shower drained!! No standing in water. The shower head is not removable, but is very oversized. The room was musty at the very first, but quickly disappeared when we started the AC. Our view was limited to 5th floor rooftop (smoking area) and the adjacent hi-rise apartments.

We really like the Champions Sports Bar, the business center (purchased & printed our
Haunted Carriage Ride tix from there), the gift shop w/ Starbucks cafe and the quality of food. We did both, room service and Champions for meals.

Hooters is across the street, a Wine bar around the corner and the Horse Drawn Carriages right out front! Convenience is the word!

There are remnants of the Democratic Convention and souvenirs left over in the Marriott Gift Shop, personally, I didn't like seeing Obama's face all over the counter and counter top area. That was a bit much, but I can see it w/ most the staff there though.
All in all, it was a good value. Drinks are pricey, buy alcohol beforehand and bring it in! Very nice Marriott - two thumbs up!

Room Tip: we were in room 914, overlooked the parking decks, 5th floor rooftop for smokers and other hi-rise b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a convention. Everyone that we dealt with was helpful and polite.

Our room was nice and appeared to have been renovated recently. The beds were very comfortable. The room shared a wall with housekeeping so we had the sound of washing machines running a good bit of the time. The view was of a rooftop and not much else.

The bathroom was well appointed with nice towels. I did find the lighting odd in the bathroom but was able to use one of the mirrors in the room for putting on makeup. The large shower head was great but was angled towards the back wall of the shower and caused a minor flooding issue. We adjusted it after the initial use and it wasn't a problem again.

The pool and gym seemed to be nice and well kept though we did not use them. There is no complimentary breakfast that we were aware of but there are places on site where you can purchase it. The most baffling thing to me was the lack of free WiFi. Internet access could be purchased for something like $12.95 per day. I travel a lot for work and this is the first place I have stayed in years that didn't have free WiFi. For an overall nice hotel, the lack of this basic amenity puzzled me.

Parking in the garage under the hotel is extra as well but expected. We did get trapped in the garage when our card didn't work for the gate. There was no attendant and the "help" button didn't work. I actually had to call the hotel on my mobile phone to get someone to let the gate up so we could get out.

There were town cars available outside of the hotel that took us to our convention location for a nominal fee. That was a very nice option.

Overall our stay was good. I stay in a hotels that cost a lot less that have more amenities and larger rooms but this one does have a great location if you are attending an event in uptown Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently stayed at the downtown Marriott and it's your typical good Marriott. The rooms are nice and the staff friendly. I was surprised that the they actually have a really good restaurant (Savannah Red) on premises...definately more than your standard Marriott morning restaurant. It actually has good wine and the servers are great. Deanna the bartender is a HOOT! Like a lot of business travelers, I had dinner at the bar in the restaurant and it was outstanding. I had the Elk tenderloin...wow! give it a try, although I substituted aspargras and creamed spinach for the pearl onions and other southern veggies. BTW - try the fried blue cheese balls...total heart attack but awesome.

Room Tip: you want a higher floor to be as far from the traffic as possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gary O, Director of Hotel Operations at Charlotte Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Al I,
Thank you for staying with us and for your positive feedback regarding our Hotel and Savannah Red restaurant. We take great pride in the products and services that we offer both within our hotel and restaurant, so I am pleased to read how much you truly enjoyed your experience with both. Deanna, as you had mentioned, is a great asset to our hotel and we are grateful to have her on our team. We look forward to your return and serving you again in the near future!

Been to Charlotte Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!