“Bang for your buck” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Orlando, Florida
“Bang for your buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip. I have no complaints about the staff, they were nice and welcoming. The room was clean and odorless, I understand that some of the rooms were renovated recently. I didn't have much of a view, but I guess that is what I paid for. The bathroom was clean, nice size and fully stocked every day. The hotel lacks any kind of complementary breakfast but there are plenty of places around the hotel to eat at. The WiFi was not free and was a bit expensive for daily use, in my opinion. That would be my biggest complaint, because at most nice hotels the WiFi is usually free. Parking is also with a fee, just like most hotels I have stayed at. Overall our stay was good, no real complaints except the expensive WiFi fee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Orangeville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night here. Location is great in Downtown Charlotte. Plenty of fine restaurants within walking distance and the bar/club district is only a block away. The Hotel itself is a little dated. Things have been updated - so the rooms are small but nice. I found the staff very polite and helpful. All in all a good stay. Priceline rate was $101 plus taxes per night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hi, my wife and I spent 21-23SEP12 at the "uptown" city center Marriott (corner of Tryon and Trade). The first trick was to find parking - we were there as part of a Marriage Retreat - and like other couples from out-of-town, finding the parking garage was very tricky. Parking is below the hotel and is only accessed from the front - where the Valet are located, but don't worry, wheel in there and get below through their hidden ramp! You can take an elevator back to lobby for check-in of course.

Our first impression, door man was fantastic pointing the way to the hidden parking ramp. However, upon reaching the front desk, a young, tall man was a bit sharp w/ his tongue w/ us. I blew it off, but everyone we met after (hotel staff- from Champions server, to maid on 9th floor, all the way to Charlie from F., SC) were fantastic!

The room was small and a bit dated, but the king bed and linens were fantastic. The AC was very quiet and did the job! Also, our shower drained!! No standing in water. The shower head is not removable, but is very oversized. The room was musty at the very first, but quickly disappeared when we started the AC. Our view was limited to 5th floor rooftop (smoking area) and the adjacent hi-rise apartments.

We really like the Champions Sports Bar, the business center (purchased & printed our
Haunted Carriage Ride tix from there), the gift shop w/ Starbucks cafe and the quality of food. We did both, room service and Champions for meals.

Hooters is across the street, a Wine bar around the corner and the Horse Drawn Carriages right out front! Convenience is the word!

There are remnants of the Democratic Convention and souvenirs left over in the Marriott Gift Shop, personally, I didn't like seeing Obama's face all over the counter and counter top area. That was a bit much, but I can see it w/ most the staff there though.
All in all, it was a good value. Drinks are pricey, buy alcohol beforehand and bring it in! Very nice Marriott - two thumbs up!

Room Tip: we were in room 914, overlooked the parking decks, 5th floor rooftop for smokers and other hi-rise b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a convention. Everyone that we dealt with was helpful and polite.

Our room was nice and appeared to have been renovated recently. The beds were very comfortable. The room shared a wall with housekeeping so we had the sound of washing machines running a good bit of the time. The view was of a rooftop and not much else.

The bathroom was well appointed with nice towels. I did find the lighting odd in the bathroom but was able to use one of the mirrors in the room for putting on makeup. The large shower head was great but was angled towards the back wall of the shower and caused a minor flooding issue. We adjusted it after the initial use and it wasn't a problem again.

The pool and gym seemed to be nice and well kept though we did not use them. There is no complimentary breakfast that we were aware of but there are places on site where you can purchase it. The most baffling thing to me was the lack of free WiFi. Internet access could be purchased for something like $12.95 per day. I travel a lot for work and this is the first place I have stayed in years that didn't have free WiFi. For an overall nice hotel, the lack of this basic amenity puzzled me.

Parking in the garage under the hotel is extra as well but expected. We did get trapped in the garage when our card didn't work for the gate. There was no attendant and the "help" button didn't work. I actually had to call the hotel on my mobile phone to get someone to let the gate up so we could get out.

There were town cars available outside of the hotel that took us to our convention location for a nominal fee. That was a very nice option.

Overall our stay was good. I stay in a hotels that cost a lot less that have more amenities and larger rooms but this one does have a great location if you are attending an event in uptown Charlotte.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently stayed at the downtown Marriott and it's your typical good Marriott. The rooms are nice and the staff friendly. I was surprised that the they actually have a really good restaurant (Savannah Red) on premises...definately more than your standard Marriott morning restaurant. It actually has good wine and the servers are great. Deanna the bartender is a HOOT! Like a lot of business travelers, I had dinner at the bar in the restaurant and it was outstanding. I had the Elk tenderloin...wow! give it a try, although I substituted aspargras and creamed spinach for the pearl onions and other southern veggies. BTW - try the fried blue cheese balls...total heart attack but awesome.

Room Tip: you want a higher floor to be as far from the traffic as possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gary O, Director of Hotel Operations at Charlotte Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Al I,
Thank you for staying with us and for your positive feedback regarding our Hotel and Savannah Red restaurant. We take great pride in the products and services that we offer both within our hotel and restaurant, so I am pleased to read how much you truly enjoyed your experience with both. Deanna, as you had mentioned, is a great asset to our hotel and we are grateful to have her on our team. We look forward to your return and serving you again in the near future!
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I am shocked at many of the negative reviews on the City Center Marriott. I stayed at the Marriott for a meeting that was scheduled at a law firm in close proximity to the hotel. I found the front desk staff to be efficient and very professional. While my room was certainly not the largest, it was comfortable and clean. the bathroom was tiny but adequate.

In rating a hotel, it is important to consider the city. My wife and I have traveled all over the world. It still baffles us why Charlotte has room prices and small room sizes that mirror New York City. However, it is a fact that this property as well as the Westin are within keeping of their sister properties in New York City.

The Ritz Carlton and the the Ballantyne Resort are the only properties that offer larger spaces. However, you will pay more to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte than the Ritz Carlton Battery Park in downtown Manhattan. The Ballantyne is one of our favorite properties in Charlotte but you forsake the downtown (uptown) amenities.

We have also had wonderful stays at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Phillps Place. Don't knock the name. It is a really decent property in a very upscale area. It is near restaurants and across from South Park Mall.

While this is a review on the Marriott, I would suggest that all of the properties mentioned in this review will give you the best service and amenities that Charlotte has to offer. The difference is price and location. However, all are decent and have various things to offer.

The City Center Marriott is located in a busy area that is great for shopping, people watching and activity. Ballantyne would be a better alternative for seclusion and romance. Many restaurants within a short walk from the Marriott.

I would stay here for a Bobcat"s game, Panther"s game or an active date night.

JPritchett,

Thank you for staying with us and also providing your feedback regarding your stay here at the Marriott City Center. Although I am extremely disappointed to hear that your stay with us was only decent and not extraordinary, I completely respect your thoughts on the size of our standard guestroom and bathroom. I want to mention that we do have executive king guestrooms available, which are larger in size than our standard guestrooms, in which I think that you would really enjoy. I am pleased to hear that you found our front desk personnel to be efficient and professional, as we do take great pride in our services. I really hope that the efficient service that you experienced brings you back to stay with us again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This property is by far the worst "full service" (if one can actually call it that) Marriott I have ever stayed in. The rooms and decor look like something out of the 1960's, water barely comes out the ancient showerheads, restaurants are terrible, poorly managed and the front desk can't even get a bill right.

It really is a dump, and you can easily find better accomodations with several large competitors nearby.

To give a bit more detail:

The rooms have some kind of yellowed paint, beaten-down carpet and worn out A/C equipment. The bathrooms look like they've seen their best years decades ago....and the water drips out of the showhead (could barely get the shampoo out of my hair). The hallways look just as bad. Creaking old elevators complete the picture.

Restaurant is actually a combination breakfast/dinner place. They call the dinner place "Savanna Red"....what a crock. What they do is pull down some red wall carpets, and add a few bar stools to their breakfast restaurant to convert it to dinner each night! Speaking of breakfast, the buffet is tiny (like something out of cheap roadside motel) and there are not very many tables. Food is just ok...for breakfast. For dinner, walk out the front of the hotel and find another restaurant as there are dozens within easy walking distance. You will be glad you did, as the food for dinner here is somewhere between subpar and terrible.

Oh, there is also a sports bar with even worse food, and service is non-existent (just try getting a drink.)

And with the price being charged, the expression "rip off" comes to mind. The value for the money is not even close.

This hotel badly needs to be remodeled, and the incompetent management gotten rid of and replaced with competent hoteliers.

Room Tip: I would completely avoid this hotel. Do not recommend.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Charlotte Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!