“Carry a gun” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Charlotte Airport Hotel and Conference Center

You added Ramada Charlotte Airport Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Ramada Charlotte Airport Hotel and Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 West Woodlawn Road, Charlotte, NC 28217 (Formerly Holiday Inn Woodlawn Airport South)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #128 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Manteo
“Carry a gun”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2006

I had the worst experience at this hotel I've ever had at any hotel in my life. The hotels shares a parking lot with an abandoned warehouse, billards bar, gentlemen's club, trashy lingerie store, and a donut shop. Why would anyone want to stay here? Unless you want practice in self defence, don't come to this hotel. This is by far the last place i would want to be sleeping unsuspectibly in the middle of the night.
This hotel needs 3 times as many security guards and camera's to even look at calling itself a safe place to stay. My Chevy was almost stolen from this hotel, however the thieves of the area were low class as well evidentally and only managed to steal my entire door lock and cost me about 500 to fix the door they tried to hack into.
The rooms were extremely clean, but unless you plan to leave before sunset, carry a loaded weapon.

• Liked — Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — Location and Security
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT stay here, don't even ride by if its after dark.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

US Airways put me up here - located on W. Woodlawn. Don't stay here unless you have to. There is a "Gentleman's Club" near it. Need I say more? Ok: The heating unit in my room was extraordinarily dusty and there is no thermostat. I left it off and slept in my coat. There were holes in the blankets. The phone system was completely down when I was there. They were out of personal care items. The one good thing: it was reasonably clean. The cleaning staff does a good job.

• Stayed December 2005
greenville, sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

The Holiday Inn brand is certainly not positioned to successfully compete in today's lodging game. However, even with this proviso, the Holiday Inn Woodlawn really disappoints. Hallways and all common areas smack of the charm of a bus station. There is retro and there is neglected. The latter certainly applies here. Rooms continue the deplorable theme with aged, out-of-date furniture, worn carpet, Formica bathroom vanities, small holes in walls, et al.

The surrounding area is dodgy, at best. Unless you absolutely must stay in this neighborhood (perhaps you have business at the neighboring strip club), keep shopping and find a hotel in Charlotte's charming downtown area.

The Holiday Inn Woodlawn is an unacceptable hotel. Save yourself the adventure of discovering how disappointing of a hotel this is and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

My husband and I stayed here last Saturday on our way home from our St. Kitts honeymoon. We'd booked the hotel about a week before, after learning that USeless Airways had changed us to an overnight flight for our return without telling us. I'd booked a king but when we arrived, they checked us into a double, and said they were full (because of Hurricane Charley residents who lived along the coast were evacuated, and many went to Charlotte). I complained and said we'd booked in advance and it was the last night of our honeymoon, and they put us in a king. Shouldn't have had to worry about it.

The room was muggy, but we turned off the AC for a while and it settled down. I think they recently shampooned the burgundy carpets, because our socks got red on the bottom. Before we turned the AC back on, we heard the guy in the next room cough as if he was sitting on our bed, not his. We kept the fan on all night and didn't hear anything else.

We were exhausted from our trip and tried to order room service, only to find our menu was out-of-date. Ten minutes later we got the right one, then tried to order again, and were told it would be an hour because they were so busy! (About 200 USAir passengers missed connecting flights due to Customs delays) So we walked up to IHOP for a late dinner.

The Holiday Inn had a hopping nightclub where people dressed up but were kinda skanky (lamé dresses, bustiers!), and it's right next to two "gentlemen's" clubs. It's also huge and we had an insanely long walk with heavy luggage to our room, but the airport shuttle was nice.

In the end it was all fine but it's no better or worse than any other hotel, honestly. Nothing to write home about and not the place to go for a special night or anything.

• Stayed August 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2004

As a travel agent, I have come to depend on certain hotel chains for certain standards, and Holiday Inn rarely disappoints. Clients can always count on clean, affordable, convenient properties, and I never hesitate to book them in Holiday Inns. The Woodlawn Charlotte Airport Holiday Inn is a step above for sure.. ... My daughter will soon start college in the Charlotte area, and due to a last minute meeting scheduled with her soon to be track coach, we endured a connecting flight from Hell (yes, we travel agents get those too! -- contrary to common belief, travel agents don't get much in the way of perks anymore...i paid full fare for the airline tix, & couldn't get nonstop, etc) we arrived nearly at midnight at the Charlotte airport. (Kudos by the way to the airport staff, and the Avis folks, especially Mykael, a shining star to come across at nearly the end of a loooooonggg night) I digress... the ride to the Holiday inn is a quick and easy to navigate 5 minutes, and as we pull in to the massive parking lot (shared with a strip mall with a baffling(& eclectic) array of stores, including a risque lingerie shop, a fancy-schmancy looking GENTLEMEN's club, and a (gasp) Krispy Kreme bakery) we find large groups of smokers outside the hotel lobby, apparantly wedding guests. I cringe a little, thinking that party revelers will be wandering the property and noise levels will be an all time high,with hotel customer service at an all time low... contrary to that belief, the front desk staff is BEYOND wonderful, friendly, helpful, and in lightening speed, we are in our room. (First we wander through the prettiest center atrium replete with waterfall, and restaraunt... very upper end for a HI)Free internet (where i sit now) is avail on all of the newly renovated rooms on the third floor (request this floor) AND WILL SOON BE IN ALL ROOMS. The absolute bonus is that I am sipping a GREAT cup of coffee, delivered to me as I opened my eyes to greet the day... and this, beside the convenient location, is the BIGGETST bonus of staying at this property..Complimentary Room Service Continental breakfast. A door hanger invites you to alert the hotel staff of your desired time ( i requested between 7:30 and 7:45, and at 7:42 am -- it arrived! amazing) This is a great routine that my husband and I got used to when we worked on board cruise ships.... have the Co bfast delivered as your 'WAKEUP CALL"-- The Woodlawn holiday inn has terrific coffee.. and it arrives along with fresh cut fruit, fresh squeezed juice (huge glasses, not the anemic little $3 glasses we are accustomed to in the north at our famous NJ diners) and an assortment of 4-5 danish. Truely an added touch that does not cost the hotel huge amounts, yet goes far in the way of public relations, and customer service. By the way, never heard any of the noise of the wedding, nor the booming nightclub that is off the lobby (apparantly a HUGE night spot in this area)-- The desk staff explained that they take great pains in booking rooms in areas according to the category of guest (wedding attendees all closer to the party, families and biz travlers in the quieter, further section..etc.
it's the ONLY mild negative observance of this hotel, and not even a criticism...it's BIG and a tad confusing to navigate...be sure to get good directions to your room,...it could have been that it was late and we were grouchy, but we wandered a bit trying to figure out the room numbers...but oh, it was worth it.... And yes, i paid the same rate as you would if i booked this hotel for you, it's reasonable and well worth it.... so, gotta go, there is a magnificent looking clover shaped pool outside of my window, and it's going to be 86 degrees today..and we have one hour to kill before our first appointment..... enjoy ,everyone!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2004

I had a layover in Charlotte, which turned into a stayover. I was unfamiliar with the area and found a courtesy phone near baggage claim that rang directly to the front desk. They treated me as if I was a long time friend. They immediatly arranged a complimentary shuttle which arrived within 15 minutes of me hanging up the phone. I was checked in to a room, and what a view! They have an unbelievable view of their garden atrium,waterfall and all! I did not expect this from a Holiday Inn. They even had a band in their lounge that played retro music! Needless to say I felt like I was treated very kindly, and the staff was great! I reccomend if your ever layed over in Charlotte pick this hotel!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2004

Found this hotel on the internet. We travel to Florida each year and try to stay in Charlotte on our way through. This was our first time at this hotel and we will definately use it again! We were really surprized when we arrived by the size and the way the hotel is laid out. This is one of the largest, and nicest Holiday Inns I've ever seen and it is just off I-77 in central Charlotte so it is easy to find. The hotel staff is friendly and the rooms are big. We really enjoyed the lounge (I think it is called OBrians). The night we were there they had a fun band playing. Great buy and would highly recommend the hotel.

Been to Ramada Charlotte Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!