“Nowhere as bad as some of the other revies.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Charlotte Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Ramada Charlotte Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Ramada Charlotte Hotel and Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 West Woodlawn Road, Charlotte, NC 28217 (Formerly Holiday Inn Woodlawn Airport South) (Montclaire South)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #137 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
West Chester, PA
“Nowhere as bad as some of the other revies.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

This your typical 2.5 star hotel. It is under new ownership. Clean rooms, near restaurnts & light rail line into Uptown, as well as some shopping nearby. This hotel is in the middle of being remodeled, the rooms look a lot better now. I don't understand what other reviewers are expecting for the rates, a Marriott or Hilton?

• Stayed June 2012

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I went there to pick up my brother who stayed there for a night, it was under renovations and smelled like paint. It's not very inviting from the outside, it's kind of deserted. The room was very clean and spacious. It is worth the price though, do not pay more than $60/night for it. There's food nxt door and it's a couple mins to downtown by car. When they finish the renos it will be a better hotel but for now, it's only decent b/c the price is low and it's clean.

Room Tip: dont stay on the first floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé and I attempted to stay there last night and ran away FAST!! Trying to find the hotel is a disgusting challenge with the strip club and strippers milling about. We asked for a room and had to walk down dark hallways. Something out of the Shinning!!! Went to the room opened to door and found NOTHING CLEAN. They sent us to a room that had not been cleaned! As we walked down the stairs because the elevator was not working I saw a sign that read "WHY DID YOU STAY HERE'". Needless to say we left!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have had to stay because my company put me here for past few months. I have really seen how the owner operates. All attention goes to slapping on paint for the democratic convention so they can charge 600$ a night for those poor unfortunate souls who had no idea the disgusting place they are about to be in. Repeat business is not even a consideration. Get the money they can however they can is. I have been trapped in an elevator 4 times, they refuse to fix it. they use this van that is so embarrassingly gross because they are always "out of gas" on their new van. They got the new van because we all complained daily about the old van so they bought the new van, used it for a month and then parked it because they were needing to spend money on the oil changes. they dont give access to gas to the employees so when they come to work, the only van that has gas is the old decrepid van. their idea of fixing it was to put a carpet remnant on the floor. While wires stick through a broken down seat, the seatbelt ding ding keeps going off despite the fact that the seatbelts are clicked in. they dash boards had all the lights flashing so they just disconnected the light system. I could go on. The business center consists of one computer with three areas of screens but no computers and a large dead plant. the public lobby bathroom make a texas truckstop bathroom look like a resort bathroom. paint dust and toxic fumes are being breathed everyday as they paint rooms to rent out for unreasonable prices while the rooms are dirty with old linen unless you are lucky enough to get one of the new rooms. but then the drains are still stopped up, water marks leaking down the new painted walls. dirty tile in the atrium with broken tiles and spills not cleaned for a month. did I mention I was trapped in their elevator 4 times. the excuses are just ridiculous. the employees just keep quitting because the owner doesn't listen to their pleas on the guests behalf. trash is left in the halls and stairways. the towels look like they came from the dollar store. the cheapest version of soap, coffee etc is offered. they bought a forclosed dilapadated property just for the democratic convention and could care less about he customers. only upside is the employees are really nice, that is if they stay.

Room Tip: go somewhere else. not to the quality inn because i think they are the same owners.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Union City, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I had a one night layover on my flight from San Francisco to Nassau Bahamas so I booked a room at the Ramada Charlotte based on other reviews. My experience here for the one night was:

1) The Ramada shuttle to pick me up at the airport was convenient and fairly quick. It took less than 15 minutes for the driver to arrive. Scheduling a shuttle back to the airport the next morning was just as smooth. The driver was already waiting for me when I arrived in the lobby.
2) The check-in was quick since I arrived somewhat late at 10PM.
3) The entire staff that I encountered was pleasant and very helpful. Everyone from the shuttle drivers, the front desk clerk and the night manager was very courteous.
4) The hotel looked like there was some kind of construction going on. Tarps hanging in the hallways, dusty hallways and paint splatters.
5) The common hallways looked dirty.
6) When I got to my room, the key did not work. Fortunately, a hotel employee happened to be walking by and took my key back to the front desk while I waited outside my room. About five minutes later, the night manager came up with a working room key.
7) The room wasn't very dirty, but it didn't appear clean either. More appropriately, everything just seemed old. The TV was ancient. I don't recall seeing a 19" TV in a hotel in a very long time. Also, the remote control for the TV didn't work, but I called the Front Desk and the night manager quickly brought a working remote.

Bottom line: I thought the hotel was in pretty bad shape. I picked the Ramada because I thought it was a respectable name, but my expectations are now lowered. I would have given this hotel a 2.5 star rating if I could, but I voted three stars mainly due to the excellent staff.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any good rooms here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Gig Harbor, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We were put up here after US Airways stranded me in Charlotte(again!!!) and this place is disgusting. I don't even know where to start. Do yourself a favor and find another place to stay. I am not that tough to impress and this was terrible. If this occurred again(and I am sure it will), I would stay in the airport or pay for my own hotel rather than stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

US Air put us up when our 11pm flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. After waiting on our bag and then the shuttle we didn't get to the hotel till almost 1am with a flight leaving at 7am. The hotel was super creepy. We were the only people there other then the desk clerk walking around this extremely dated hotel with a giant lobby/dining area that has two fountains and a gazebo. It was honestly a mix between the mall in the original Dawn of the Dead and the hotel in the Shining. Then we get to the second floor and the elevator doors open directly in front of an abandoned room that is under construction, door wide open, lights out debris every where. We turned the corner to see this extremely long hallway that just feels creepy. Finally getting into the room didn't help either. Our window looked into the creepy lobby right at the gazebo. The air/heat didn't work well, either you were burning up or freezing. The shower didn't drain. There was hair in the sheets which were so worn out they were transparent in spots. It looked like there was mold in the gross ceiling of the bathroom. Didn't really feel safe even with the door bolted. Felt like the kind of place that would have hidden camera's or a way to unlock your door in the middle of the night.

To top all of this off, when we checked in the desk clerk asked when we wanted a wake up call and when we wanted the shuttle to take us back. We said 4:45 for the wake up call and around 5:30 for the shuttle. We never got a wake up call but luckily set our phone alarms just in case. Then we get a call a little after 5:20 saying the shuttle will be here in 10 minutes. So we get down just a little after 5:30, within 10 minutes and the shuttle had already left. We asked the clerk and he just stated the current time implying we should have gotten there earlier. We had to wait another 30 minutes to get the next shuttle. Another couple had the exact same problem and was waiting too. At 5:54 the clerk called another room telling them the shuttle would be here in 10 minutes. We got on the shuttle at 6 and the other guest who had been waiting with us asked the driver if there was any one else coming and if we needed to wait. The driver shrugged and said he didn't know and started driving. So another guest probably missed their shuttle just like we did.

We would have probably been better off just sleeping at the airport or paying for a hotel or rental car ourselves. If you have a choice, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Charlotte Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!