“peaceful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“peaceful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

i have my sincere thanks for loushanta - who tried and provided a noise free ,peacefull stay- had not slept well ,for many months,solved complaint promptly and effeciently.she tried and provided best customer care , her excellence, proffesionalism and patience is way above appreciation.
also Shawn ,shattle buse driver was very polite and helpfull ,his respect for my mother and help made lots of impact on me - thank you-

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear shahnaz p,
One of the best parts of this job is responding to posts that highlight our employees. LouShanta is one of our front desk supervisors and is known for her sunny attitude and genuine concern for the comfort of our guests. We hold a monthly employee meeting and it is my job to recognize the employees that have gone above and beyond. I will be sure to tell LouShanta about your comments...but I know she reads Trip Advisor every day and already knows. Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times because it offers a sleep and fly option. The service is great and the shuttle is prompt. Every time we have stayed there the rooms have been clean and we haven't encountered any problems. The beds were clean and comfortable. However, the hotel common areas are in need of updating. The Internet has always functioned well each time we have stayed there. Food at the restaurant was reasonable. If you are looking for something fairly basic and clean, this property will work.

Room Tip: The hotel is very long. Rooms with high numbers (40s and above) will mean a long walk if you are usi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ron F,
Thank you for your comments and for your loyalty. Yes, our public space is badly in need of updating and we have started the renovation project that will fix it. You will notice the work on your next stay and, by then, we may have renderings of the finished product to share with you and all our guersts. In the meantime, we hope to see you here again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was at this hotel for a two day seminar and everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was run down. Although it is very close to the airport (you can actually feel the jets fly overhead when you're in your room), it isn't in a safe area, so you don't want to stray past the parking lot.

The front desk staff was less than helpful (grumpy and begrudging is more like it), the bathrooms near the conference center had broken soap dispensers, the vending machines were broken, and the restaurant on site was mediocre at best and never adequately staffed.

Plus there were gaping holes in the sheetrock in walls on a couple floors where it looked like they were tracking down leaking pipes and then wandered away to do something else. (I never actually saw anyone working on them.)

So much for a decent place to stay on a business trip. This property doesn't represent the HI brand well.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Mel J,
The fact that this building is dated has not escaped our notice I assure you. However, the "gaping holes in sheetrock" you mention is the beginning of our renovation project, not the tracking of leaking pipes. If you read through previous posts you will see that this has been a topic of conversation for some time now. This work is necessary to provide structural support to those improvements. With regard to the safety of the surrounding area, our guests routinely walk the quarter mile or so to area restaurants. For example, Miguel's Mexican is popular with many returning guests. The most disturbing comment is the one about our front desk not being helpful. No doubt your comment will be taken quite hard by them because they work to be as knowledgeable and courteous as they can possibly be. We did not meet your expectations and for that I apologize. But I noticed you stay in Charlotte frequently. Please call me if I can personally book you in on your next stay.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When we first arrived we entered our room to find beard trimmings in the sink, I pulled the sheets back and they had appeared to be slept in as the wrinkles seemed unnatural to coming out of the dryer. The hotel staff gave us a new room no questions asked. Our new room appeared to be a little better.
We go to the door of our new room and we can hear the TV on really loud. We were unsure if we should even try to enter as it sounded as if someone was in there. We went in anyway, the room was empty but the TV was intentionally put on extremely high volume.
The bed skirt and pillows were not adjusted properly. ( if I want a sloppy made bed ill stay at home)
When it was time to take the shuttle me and my husband got up early and waited down stairs. a small group of other guests soon joined us. We soon discovered that they give priority to flight attendants and pilots. The group of guests had to wait till the shuttle dropped the airport staff off before returning for us. The driver of the van had just got on shift when this happened and apologized to us as he agreed it wasn't fair. He was clearly taking orders from managment. The shuttle drivers were the only good thing about this hotel. They were kind, helpful, efficient.

• Stayed April 2013
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Nicolewatson,
We failed you in a number of levels. First, in an effort to assist you quickly, our front desk staff did not notify a duty manager to inspect your first room. Second, we generally send a supervisor or duty manager with our guests if room assignments need to be changed. Please email me your room number(s) and stay date. Detailed records of cleaning assignments are kept here. This information is critical if corrective training is to be conducted. Lastly, while our crew members are certainly important to us, our drivers were NOT taking orders from management by giving priority to them and leaving you. We have two shuttle vans at this hotel and our shuttle drivers know that if one is full they should notify the duty manager or supervisor to bring the second van around so that guests are not left waiting. I agree with you that we have some of the best drivers (and employees in other departments) that you will find. However, we missed a golden opportunity to meet your expectations on this trip and accept full responsibility for your experience. I deeply apologize for that.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

An old hotel, with thins walls - and poor design. Isn't it about time that hotel management realise that a guest doesn't want to hear the person in the adjacent room snooring (or worse), that power outlets shouldn't have to be hunted down in a room and that a 'complimentary' breakfast in the Priority Club lounge should be a little more heart healthy than a tray of donuts and high fructose juices ? So many better options adjacent to this property. Try the Courtyard for example. Definately would not recommend.

Room Tip: Top floor, away from elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear PBRD,
Your post covers quite a bit of ground. I'll start with the thin walls, which in this building are actually solid concrete. But solid concrete or not, few hotel walls will ever block out all noise, especially if you happen to be bunking next to a freight train. With regard to heart healthy menus, in our owners meeting held the day before you posted this review, we decided to discontinue the current continental breakfast in the Priority Club lounge in favor of a hot breakfast menu in the restaurant which would include heart healthy options. This will, of course, be offered complimentary to our Priority Club members. Finally, our building will be undergoing a 9 month renovation within the next 30 to 60 days. With confidence, no hotel in the area will compare. However, you did not mention anything about service issues which I am most proud of. You may recommend a newer facility but the level of hospitality that we offer will be missing. I invite you to call me directly if you ever have an opportunity to return to the area, at our hotel or elsewhere. I would just like to meet you and talk further about our improvement plans. In the meantime, thank you for staying with us last night.
Somerset, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

There's something about this property that just makes you feel relaxed, at home.
Reception is friendly, accommodating and upbeat.
The rooms are indicative of HI's across the states.
The room ( second floor) is spacious and clean. Linens are fresh and crisp.

Bathroom is bright- lighting tends to be an issue in many hotel bathrooms- not so here.

The restaurant has a great and varied menu. I had the She Crap soup and Crouching Tiger Salad.
Service is as laid back as North Carolina itself. ( being from the NJ it feels to me if you're not running from place to place, it's slow) so maybe a pass here with the pace. Cindy seems to handle week day lunch alone, but does it well. Sweet, friendly and on it.

I waited about 40 minutes for soup and salad...and I'd say the food is good. But not amazing.

Anyway, they have a nice pool however no chairs were available- seemed like a good idea to sit by the pool on a nice sunny day...but not possible this visit. A newly renovated gym.

The conference rooms look very well appointed with big leather chairs and updated AV equipment.

One woman told me they host their family reunion here- and have for years.

The van driver Carl is a doll- Happy to drop you off at a local mall or store, and pick you up with a phone call. Local grocery, drug, discount stores and fast food chains along the highway. Not suitable for a walk, but Carl is ready and willing when you are.

Another up side in this property, you may hear a few light knocks from housekeeping, but no yelling of "HOUSSSSSSEKKKEEEEPING" at 7 am. They are respectful of guests who prefer not to be disturbed. A+ and Amen for that!

As a flight attendant we stay where our company puts us- I'd be happy to stay here for work or pleasure. Everywhere you go in the hotel, the staff is friendly and approachable. To me that's a sign of happy employees who must be treated well by management.

I look forward to returning to this hotel...next time...with my own pool chair.... ;)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear njafares,
I feel privileged every day to be able to work with these team members. And I'm convinced that the "something about this property" you mentioned is the genuine care and concern that each one has for your guests. We'll be starting our renovation soon and my concern used to be that our building would be renovated but our service levels would not keep pace with the improvements. I don't believe that now. Nearly every day we receive more and more positive comments about our people, naming specific team members such as you did. I am so grateful that you took the time to let us know about your stay. The team will be grateful as well since we read each post out loud...good and not so good. Lastly, if you let me know you're coming in I promise to set out a pool chair with your name on it even though the pool may not be open yet for the season. Is it a deal?
Bowling Green, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The housekeeping staff at this hotel does an excellent job. The majority of them smile and greet you each time you see them. Consistently going above and beyond, they truly care about their patrons. One employee in particular, Charlotte, is a very conscientious worker. She honestly cares about pleasing each and every guest by making their stay as comfortable as possible. She is dedicated and works diligently, while having a vibrant personality and a bright smile!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jeff B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear ElizabethB405,
Ms. Charlotte (as I call her) is a friend and is great fun to be around. She truly loves her job and we are so fortunate to have her on our team. As a General Manager it is my privilege to recognize team members such as Ms. Charlotte for their commitment to our guests. We truly cannot be successful without their dedication and attention to detail. I'll personally thank her for taking care of you and, unless I miss my guess, she'll be proud to receive the recognition...and rightly so! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay and I hope that we see you at our hotel again in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!