“Nice Hilton” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Greensboro,NC
“Nice Hilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

The Hilton in the University area of Charlotte is a nice, modern hotel that is close to shopping, businesses and I-85.

The lobby is modern and the check-in process easy with a friendly associate.

The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is small but we were there for one evening, so no big deal.

As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, we got free buffet breakfast in the restaurant but that was not that good. Service was good but some of the food was just below par. I would not have wanted to pay for it.

Overall, a very nice hotel in the Hilton family.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Held a conference at this location and was very pleased and impressed with the service. Hotel staff was attentive to my needs whil at this location and very helpful. Rooms are great and have the comforts of home. Hotel just had a mojor rennovation and looks beautiful!! I woud definately use this location again. Loved the executive level in the hotel as well as the executive lounge. Great views and service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Stayed at hotel for a convention hotel was nice but not roomy at all.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
SE North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a 2 day business trip on the weekend. Location is great easy access to surrounding roads & Freeways. When we were there there was 2 weddings, 1 family reunion, and 2 church conferences as well as the college football team that was playing JC Smith Univ. was staying there. The lobby areas were extremely loud and crowded, luckily the staff put us on the "executive top floor" due to being silver hinors members. The room was quiet but was not really spectatular.

All the staff was friendly and overall it was a good stay and I will probably be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
mstubbshall, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, November 2, 2009
We are so excited that you took the time to provide feedback for our property. While we are a bustling hotel, we do pride ourselves in excellent guest service and it is our goal that even during busy times our guests leave feeling that they were well taken care of.

We appreciate you expressing that you would recommend our property to others and we certainly look forward to a return visit from you in the near future!
CHARLOTTE,NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

This review is to complain about Billing & Wedding services we received in 2008 from Hilton Charlotte University Place.

1. I paid the complete bill $3800.00 of our wedding in 2008 via credit card.We booked Lakeview Ballroom & 2 guest rooms for the event.I signed the credit card authorization form for payment.After a month,I noticed that they have charged me an additional amount of $2700.00 to my credit card (of somebody else wedding) unnecessarily,which caused my credit card to exceed its limit & consequently bank charged me $40.00 over limit fees.Hilton staff didn't apprise me of this big mistake even after month,I wouldn't have come to know,if I had not seen the credit card statment in detail.

2. Another problem,one week prior to our special event,Hilton Wedding Specialist got promoted and left the job,without notifying us.When I called Sales & Catering dept,to confirm wedding arrangements,then came to know about her.We have to take appointment with the new specialist to go over arrangement plans again,just 3 days before our marriage,which caused us lot of inconvenience.
Finally new wedding specialist took very good care of us and got the ballroom decorated very well,alongwith other wedding arrangements.

3. We complained about this matter to Hilton Customer Service Dept & Sales & Catering Department of the hotel.They apologized for the inconvenience caused and gave us 2 free night stay with free breakfast buffet for 2 adults and refunded $2700 ,without over limit fees.They charge $50 for 2-5 mins International calling,if by mistake any of your family members make an international call,they'd charge you account immediately and you'd come to know,once you see you bill.

Kindly consider my review,if you are planning to hold any event there.We expected a much higher level of service from Hilton,but we got very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for business and leisure. I enjoyed walking to some of the shops while my husband was working. The lake area was nice to walk around and there were paddle boats to rent as well. The area was close to IKEA and Concord Mills Mall (Great shopping!) as well. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast and appetizers on the executive level each day. The room was a nice size and comfortable.

I was a little disappointed that there were not more of Charlotte's unique upscale restaurants around. There were a lot of chains though. At night there were several police cars around which made us skip our intended night walk around the lake.

Overall it was a nice trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Oradell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

First of all, I am shocked and very disappointed in this hotel. I was traveling on business with a co-worker and very dear friend of mine and also took my 17 yr old daughter. I booked the Hilton because of it's reputation and because this hotel looked like it had the most to do for her while we were away during the day.
The food was horrific at the Lakeside Restaurant. The prime rib was overcooked...the food came out ice cold and the soup was made from bacon fat.
I did complain and the staff was very nice and gave us desert on the house, but this was the first night of a very long week of misery...
We asked for adjoining rooms, as this was the first business trip my colleague and I had ever been on. When we checked into our room, the view was that of a solid brick wall... and a scant glimpse of the man-made algae lake in the far distance. The "boardwalk" they advertise appears to have fallen victim of the present economy and most of the buildings are closed down. The entire area seemed desolate. However, to be fair, it is very picturesque and I would imagine that if my daughter didn't spend the first 24 hrs in the bathroom recuperating from her fabulous Hilton meal, we might have ventured out and strolled the area in the evenings.
I asked to change rooms, but to no avail, as each room we were given was worse than the first...if not a view of a wall, it was the parking lot and air conditioning equipment.
The bathroom was a tiny two by four with the toilet and sink so close you couldn't even turn around.
This hotel is huge and of course, everyone in the country ended up traveling and staying at this Hilton at the same time we did, so parking was horrific. Also, there was a fair presence of police officers around this hotel nightly, which made me feel both secure and suspicious.
The room was equipped with a hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, as most hotels are. I at least expected a refrigerator and maybe a microwave ... but nothing. This hotel was nothing more than a cheap motel at expensive prices. The only saving grace was the free wireless internet, but even at that, it was extremely slow, as everything in that part of the country. In reality, I don't recommend Charlotte, North Carolina at all!
The staff was incredibly accommodating and very, very nice. I didn't complain to them, as I didn't want to be a pest. They did try to change my room, but nothing was available and again, those they offered us were even more disappointing.
Honestly, this was not worth the price. I should have taken advice and stayed at the Hampton, which at least gave you a nice business lunch on the go bag complete with bottled water, granola bars, fruit and sandwich... or the Mariott Courtyard which was a much better value and bigger rooms.
Bottom Line.. I know not all Hiltons are alike, but I will NEVER go to another again.... somebody has to pay for Paris Hilton's Bently, but it won 't be me....

Then there was Hertz Rental Car... but that's another story......

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!