“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
SE North Carolina
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a 2 day business trip on the weekend. Location is great easy access to surrounding roads & Freeways. When we were there there was 2 weddings, 1 family reunion, and 2 church conferences as well as the college football team that was playing JC Smith Univ. was staying there. The lobby areas were extremely loud and crowded, luckily the staff put us on the "executive top floor" due to being silver hinors members. The room was quiet but was not really spectatular.

All the staff was friendly and overall it was a good stay and I will probably be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
mstubbshall, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, November 2, 2009
We are so excited that you took the time to provide feedback for our property. While we are a bustling hotel, we do pride ourselves in excellent guest service and it is our goal that even during busy times our guests leave feeling that they were well taken care of.

We appreciate you expressing that you would recommend our property to others and we certainly look forward to a return visit from you in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
CHARLOTTE,NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

This review is to complain about Billing & Wedding services we received in 2008 from Hilton Charlotte University Place.

1. I paid the complete bill $3800.00 of our wedding in 2008 via credit card.We booked Lakeview Ballroom & 2 guest rooms for the event.I signed the credit card authorization form for payment.After a month,I noticed that they have charged me an additional amount of $2700.00 to my credit card (of somebody else wedding) unnecessarily,which caused my credit card to exceed its limit & consequently bank charged me $40.00 over limit fees.Hilton staff didn't apprise me of this big mistake even after month,I wouldn't have come to know,if I had not seen the credit card statment in detail.

2. Another problem,one week prior to our special event,Hilton Wedding Specialist got promoted and left the job,without notifying us.When I called Sales & Catering dept,to confirm wedding arrangements,then came to know about her.We have to take appointment with the new specialist to go over arrangement plans again,just 3 days before our marriage,which caused us lot of inconvenience.
Finally new wedding specialist took very good care of us and got the ballroom decorated very well,alongwith other wedding arrangements.

3. We complained about this matter to Hilton Customer Service Dept & Sales & Catering Department of the hotel.They apologized for the inconvenience caused and gave us 2 free night stay with free breakfast buffet for 2 adults and refunded $2700 ,without over limit fees.They charge $50 for 2-5 mins International calling,if by mistake any of your family members make an international call,they'd charge you account immediately and you'd come to know,once you see you bill.

Kindly consider my review,if you are planning to hold any event there.We expected a much higher level of service from Hilton,but we got very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for business and leisure. I enjoyed walking to some of the shops while my husband was working. The lake area was nice to walk around and there were paddle boats to rent as well. The area was close to IKEA and Concord Mills Mall (Great shopping!) as well. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast and appetizers on the executive level each day. The room was a nice size and comfortable.

I was a little disappointed that there were not more of Charlotte's unique upscale restaurants around. There were a lot of chains though. At night there were several police cars around which made us skip our intended night walk around the lake.

Overall it was a nice trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Oradell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

First of all, I am shocked and very disappointed in this hotel. I was traveling on business with a co-worker and very dear friend of mine and also took my 17 yr old daughter. I booked the Hilton because of it's reputation and because this hotel looked like it had the most to do for her while we were away during the day.
The food was horrific at the Lakeside Restaurant. The prime rib was overcooked...the food came out ice cold and the soup was made from bacon fat.
I did complain and the staff was very nice and gave us desert on the house, but this was the first night of a very long week of misery...
We asked for adjoining rooms, as this was the first business trip my colleague and I had ever been on. When we checked into our room, the view was that of a solid brick wall... and a scant glimpse of the man-made algae lake in the far distance. The "boardwalk" they advertise appears to have fallen victim of the present economy and most of the buildings are closed down. The entire area seemed desolate. However, to be fair, it is very picturesque and I would imagine that if my daughter didn't spend the first 24 hrs in the bathroom recuperating from her fabulous Hilton meal, we might have ventured out and strolled the area in the evenings.
I asked to change rooms, but to no avail, as each room we were given was worse than the first...if not a view of a wall, it was the parking lot and air conditioning equipment.
The bathroom was a tiny two by four with the toilet and sink so close you couldn't even turn around.
This hotel is huge and of course, everyone in the country ended up traveling and staying at this Hilton at the same time we did, so parking was horrific. Also, there was a fair presence of police officers around this hotel nightly, which made me feel both secure and suspicious.
The room was equipped with a hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, as most hotels are. I at least expected a refrigerator and maybe a microwave ... but nothing. This hotel was nothing more than a cheap motel at expensive prices. The only saving grace was the free wireless internet, but even at that, it was extremely slow, as everything in that part of the country. In reality, I don't recommend Charlotte, North Carolina at all!
The staff was incredibly accommodating and very, very nice. I didn't complain to them, as I didn't want to be a pest. They did try to change my room, but nothing was available and again, those they offered us were even more disappointing.
Honestly, this was not worth the price. I should have taken advice and stayed at the Hampton, which at least gave you a nice business lunch on the go bag complete with bottled water, granola bars, fruit and sandwich... or the Mariott Courtyard which was a much better value and bigger rooms.
Bottom Line.. I know not all Hiltons are alike, but I will NEVER go to another again.... somebody has to pay for Paris Hilton's Bently, but it won 't be me....

Then there was Hertz Rental Car... but that's another story......

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Hilton University. Everyone was so professional and the Hotel was lovely and clean. I shared this hotel with 130 family members for a family reunion, and we all say the say thing. The food was delicious. The dinner buffet was marvelous, the ambience was enjoyed. I stayed an extra day after the reunion ended to take in the sites, to walk the Boardwalk and relax before the trip home. The hotel was kind and charged me the same rate as the family plan, which was very decent of them. A family member was taken ill and her caregiver was allowed to stay extra until they were well enough to travel home, how cool is that!?
Plenty of stores in the immediate area to visit. Plenty of places to eat and walk. On-site 24 hr fitness room available, which I took advantage of. Business center in the basement. The pool was rather small but the kids in our group enjoyed their swims. Plenty of smiles and "Hi y'all', I loved it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Woodbridge, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

As soon as I arrived, there was a doorman or valet ready to take my bags. I was in my room within minutes, that's how fast checkin was. Customer service was quite accommodating. The hotel was big and beautiful with classic decor. It was perfect for my few days in town. My room was a nice size and perfect (away from the elevator). It was located on the 7th floor and my view overlooked the water. Everything was clean and crisp and just right. I preordered extra pillows online at no extra charge and they were waiting for me on the bed. I had the perfect sleep on the bed. Next to the bed was a lounge couch for relaxing or light reading. There was a desk with all the fixin's for me to put my laptop and the free high speed internet service was perfect for doing business and checking out events in the local area. I absolutely loved the sink in the bathroom, looks like a grand zen bowl. There is plenty of closet and drawer space. The room conveyed with a flat panel television and remote and keyboard to watch movies.

Everything in the hotel was grand and the atmosphere was refreshing. The elevators are a bit slow, however, there is an escalater in the lobby that leads you down to the conference rooms and/or through the glass doors awaits the boardwalk. The water has a grand spouting fountain and is a happy home for geese, ducks and a resident swan which is absolutely big and beautiful. The water was surrounded by shops and a boardwalk which offered all that you could want. There is even a wooden structure built in a gated area for sand play for the kids. There is a lengthy sidewalk that leads you all around the big body of water, perfect for an evening stroll or a brisk walk or morning jog. I believe there is an onsight Fitness center but only an outdoor pool which this time of the year was closed. There is a wooden bridge that leads you across to plenty of outdoor restaurants, stores for shopping, paddleboats on the water. This was the perfect location for a conference or a relaxing getaway. Downtown Charlotte is a short ride away. I didn't need a car, because everything I would want to possibly do was in walking distance. I believe there might of been onsite Enterprise Car Rental services. There was plenty of parking and valet service. There are plenty of restaurants Smokey Bones, Applebees, etc. and Chic Filet for a light fare all reasonably priced. There are a few bars also open until 2 a.m. The front desk customer service professionalism was top notch. If you need transportation services, they are quick to offer you Lotus Limousine transportation services of limos or sedans to pick you up or transport you back to the airport and the price is priced with taxes and gratuities matched to the price of a taxi. They will take care of everything for you all they need is your name and time of departure.

The conference areas were spacious and the fare was delightful. There were flat panel tv's everywhere and signs on easels ensuring you knew what was being presented in each room. We had our breakfast, snacks, and lunches catered and it was quite tastey. Each spread was varied and plentiful! I explored a nice sitting area to dine outside of the inhouse restaurant which is nice to escape the crowds and relax.

There is a newspaper waiting for you each morning at your door and you're able to put in an order for room service at your choosing. The front desk accommodated me by printing my boarding pass. They offer Express Check Out simply by calling down to the front desk and then your on your way. I had my laptop but no printer and the front desk accommodated me by printing my boarding pass. All they needed was the airline and flight #.

Bravo Hilton!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
ECUFANCharlotte, Sales Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
We are very glad that you enjoyed our property. Hopefully you will stay with us again in the near future. Have a wonderful day.

Safe Travels,

John Noonan
Sales Manager
John.Noonan@Hilton.com
704-916-2842
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

We were on a trip with our travel trailer and visiting family in Charlotte where it was a little too cold to stay in the travel trailer. The Hilton was a great option, well located, close to restaurants. Staff were very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!