“Excellent Staff, Great Location!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
SeaLife Package
Ranked #17 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
“Excellent Staff, Great Location!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here for 3wks when our home in Charlotte flooded. My husband & I both travel extensively so we can be a little picky sometimes. But......we had absolutely no complaints here! the customer service is excellent at this hotel!
And the location is convenient to just about everything.

We booked two connecting rooms on the executive floor. The rooms were modern, clean and spacious. The executive lounge has a lovely two story view of the lake and surrounding area. The staff kept it stocked with drinks/appetizers/breakfast items and treats. Upgrading to the exec floor is well worth it!

The hotel has a beautiful lobby/bar area and is walking distance to numerous shops and restaurants.

We ate in the hotel's lakefront restaurant several times and really enjoyed it, especially the prime rib and lobster specials, seafood stuffed hush puppies, fried green tomatoes and several seafood dishes. The service was always excellent.

Special thanks to Mr. Bill the doorman for helping my kids surprise me on Mothers Day and for always having something nice to say on our way in/out each day! You made us feel very welcome.

Also, thanks to Gary, Brandon & Marieta at the front desk for making all our arrangements go smoothly & thanks to the awesome restaurant waitstaff, the executive lounge staff & the housekeeping department for looking out for us and making our stay so pleasant :-)

All in all, a great hotel!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Ms. Dwiesler,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience you had on Mother's Day weekend. We were delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our newly renovated rooms on the Executive Level, as well as the many amenities our hotel has to offer. We were also glad to hear that the Executive Lounge was an enjoyable experience and that you enjoyed the shops and restaurants surrounding the lake below our property. We will defintely pass on to Upper Management the excellent service you received, particularly from Bill, our bellman, Gary, Brandon & Marieta at the Front Desk.

It is our desire that every guest have the Ultimate Stay Experience and we look forward to you choosing the Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Hilton Charlotte University Place

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very nice rooms and the hotel is very beautiful. Very helpful and friendly safe and should concern in my well-being. Maid service is great, which is very important to me. Use Hilton Brands when in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Cynthia K,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and we were glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay pleasant, especially our housekeepers. We were glad to hear that you also enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel to many shops and restaurants in the area. We look forward to serving you again.

Very truly yours,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is the only place to stay if you are in the Charlotte Area. The Hilton University Place is the “best” hotel in Charlotte for your business travel or your personal travel. I have been staying at this property for the past 9 months on a monthly basis and it’s by far the best hotel that I have stayed in while I was in the Charlotte.
1. The front desk is awesome. As soon as I walk in, “Welcome back Mr. Mills. How was your weekend?” Everyone in the staff is great, but William Nixon always goes the extra mile to ensure my stay is great. The hotel was sold out for a night in June that I wanted to stay at the hotel. He said he will see what he could do and will inform me if he could get me a room for that night since I was already staying there during that week. Well, five minutes later, he personally walked to the restaurant while I was having breakfast to say that he was able to find a room and just bring my keys to the front. This was extremely helpful and shows that they are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that their guests are happy. Robert Price also goes the extra mile as well. He ensures that I have plenty of water. He genuinely cares about the guest that comes in the hotel.
2. The executive lounge is amazing. Ibok, in the mornings, and Edith, in the evenings, are very pleasant. They are extremely helpful and they are always looking for ways to make the needs of the guest are met. On one occasion, the lounge usually closes at 9, but people were still in the lounge and Edith was very patient and helpful with them until they left. On another occasion, I came up to the lounge about 9:30 after she at closed, but she opened it back up so that I could get some waters for the night. I usually have to be in the office early and the executive lounge does not officially open until 6:30 AM, however, Ibok, allowed me to come on several occasions before 6:30 AM to get some juice and breakfast bars so that I could get in the office early. Both of these ladies are great examples of customer service. Both of the ladies are extremely diligent on caring for the customers. I give them 5 stars.
3. When I do have time to eat breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant, I always have a great experience there. As soon as I walked, I’m greeted and helped immediately. Even when I don’t have time to eat, they provide me a to-go-box and ensure that I have utensils and something to drink when I leave. The entire staff is great but I have to give special kudos to Lida, Angele, Carlos, Kim, Ashley, Tighi, and the lady who cooks the omelets. The omelets are outstanding. They make you feel welcome and it’s a pleasure dining there.
4. This hotel is awesome. For my birthday in February, they had fresh cut pineapples and strawberries wrapped very nicely and left in my room. They also had a card wishing me a Happy Birthday. The staff at the hotel is outstanding and service is excellent.

Room Tip: Only place to stay while traveling in Charlotte
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Quinton M,
We are extremely delighted to hear how wonderful our staff was and how much you enjoyed all the amenities our hotel has to offer. We are so thankful that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay wonderful! We will be sure to give William Nixon, Robert Price, Edith, Ibok, Lidia, Angelie, Carlos, Kim, Ashley & Tighi the recognition they deserve! We look forward to you choosing the Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Very truly yours,
The Hilton Charlotte University Place
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and remember it as being great. I stayed there this weekend and decided that it is not what it once was. The potential for being great is still there, but I noticed several things that need improvement. First of all, there is a smoking area located within a few feet of the front, main door. I had to walk through a cloud of smoke each time I entered and exited the building. When I made my reservation, I asked for details for the state employee rate. At check in, I was told that my ID was not official and that I must be a county employee and that this type of ID was not recognized. The person at the desk seemed to think she had the authority to inform me that this type of ID was not valid at any hotels within the city of Charlotte. I've never had any problems while traveling across the state with any other hotel chains. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The hotel overall is in need of a little sprucing up.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Tarheel Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay. I would like to first of all apologize to you for the issues you had during check-in from our staff member challenging you regarding your State ID. In no way do we intend on any of our guests leaving our property to feel like they had to be questioned at the desk nor did we intend for you to explain or prove yourself as a State employee. Please know that we use the feedback that our guests provide as training tools for our staff to improve in the areas in which we fell short in offering excellent customer service. I will also mention the smoking area located in front of the main door to our Upper Management Staff. We are in the process of renovating every guest room to offer a better product for our guests.

We do value your loyalty to the Hilton brand and we will look forward to you allowing us an opportunity to render you the type of service you have come to expect from a Hilton property. Please feel free to email me the next time you will be in town and I would love to take care of your needs. My job is to make sure you are taken care of.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff was amazing, Ibok, Shauna, Patrick, Juan Carlos, Javon, and Mabel made my stay very comfortable. The room was great with an awesome view of the lake. Plenty of restraunts and shopping within walking distance. I even went for a paddle boat ride around the lake. The bar drinks were excellent but I will say I was dissappointed with the food in the restaurant. I had the Wednesday lobster special for 18.95 and the lobster was overcooked and not very flavorful. Otherwise I had no other problems with this hotel and enjoyed my stay. If I have to ever be away from my family again for this long I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: View of the lake is beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Alisha H,

Thank you so much for providing your positive feedback regarding your recent visit with our property! We were delighted to hear that our staff, especially, Ibok, Shauna, Patrick, Juan Carlos, Javon & Mabel went above and beyond to make you feel at home here! I was sorry to hear that we did not "wow" you in your dining experience in our Lakefront Restaurant. We appreciate your candid feedback, as it provides us with a clear picture of areas in which we can improve so that we can continue to live up to the standard of 100% guest satisfaction that we strive to achieve.

We look forward to serving you again in the future and it is out desire that you choose Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Whispering Pines, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel is situated in a good location in Charlotte. Service was superb. In particular, Juan Carlos demonstrated terrific customer service. Rooms were tidy. Carpets could use some freshening. Bathrooms are very small. Shower curtains were a bit moldy. Overall, a terrific stay in Charlotte. Back of the hotel leads to the Boardwalk and paddle boats.

• Stayed June 2014
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Armyofsongs,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our location is so convenient to shops and restaurants and that you enjoyed the lakeside view. We were delighted to hear that Juan Carlos went above and beyond to deliver excellent customer service! We will share this review in our Staff Meeting!

We are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms to offer a better product for our guests. We look forward to you visiting us again soon and I hope you have an opportunity to stay in one of our newly renovated rooms.

Best Regards,
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

I was in Philadelphia on business, and my flight back to Greenville, SC was cancelled. I sat in the airport for 6 hours, and the closest flight the airline could get me to Greenville was Charlotte. Once I got the the airport in Charlotte, the airline told me they sent my luggage to Greenville by mistake - and oh by the way, I had six frozen pizzas in my bag from an Italian place my wife loves in Philadelphia. Luckily, I had one of the pizzas they specially cooked half way so we could pop in the oven that night for dinner. So I've been in Philly for six days on business, I've got no luggage, no charger for my phone, I'm 2 hours from my destination, and the only clothes I have is the suit I've been wearing for 16 hours. I caught a cab to this hotel from the airport. Once I arrived, I was greeted by a manager (Jeremiah) who completely turned my horrible day around. He didn't ask how he could make my day better. He told me how he was going to make my day better. THAT is the difference in a good experience and a GREAT experience. That is the difference from being a manager in an organization to being a leader in an organization. He immediately upgraded my room to one with a fridge for the lone pizza I had in arm. He had a gift basket replacing the toiletries in my luggage. He got a charger for my blackberry, and had a drink waiting for me at the bar. This is why I am a Hilton Rewards member, and this is why I will continue to stay with Hilton. Thank you, Hilton Charlotte University Place! You rock!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear TreyGardner,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We were delighted to hear that Jeremiah, our Night Audit Manager went above and beyond to make your stay wonderful! As you mentioned, Jeremiah is a great leader and one of our strongest managers! We are so proud to have him part of our team! We look forward to you choosing the Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Hilton Charlotte University Place

Been to Hilton Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!