“Nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Asheville, United States
“Nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I was very pleased with the location of this Hilton. I was attending a class reunion and it was perfect for that. I would recommend this location again. The location provided shopping and eating establishments; easy access to the interstate; staff was very friendly and helpful; my overall rating would be an "A".

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Sallie G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay. I am glad to hear that your experience here for your Class Reunion was a memorable one and appreciate your recommendations to our property!
The Hilton Charlotte University Place

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I must say that for the price, this hotel was way better than I expected. It looks like they've done some recent renovations and the executive lounge was quite nice.

Easy access off the freeway.

Plenty of places to eat but the in house restaurant was quite good and I never eat in a hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear bfchef,

Thank you for your positive comments for your recent stay at our property. I am glad to hear that the location of our property provided easy access off the freeway. I will be sure to share with our culinary staff that the food exceeded your expectations. We strive to give excellent customer service and we hope to see you again soon.
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I arrived at the hotel on a business trip and was not in the best of spirits after a delayed flight. When I got to the front desk, my mood was automatically perked up by Dylan at the front desk. We had a big crackup about my name being Charlotte and it being my first time staying IN Charlotte! Seems silly, but he really just made me feel at home. Anyways, I got up to the gorgeous room and the rest is history... one of the most pleasant stays and the gym was great! I forgot I was at work! :)

Dear 716 travellover,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our property! We strive to give above and beyond service and to receive feedback like yours, speaks volumes to our Management Team that our staff delivers excellent customer service. I will defintely pass on your positive comments to our Front Desk Agent, Dylan!! I was also glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, and I will pass that along to our Executive Housekeeper to the rest of her amazing Housekeeping Team! We look forward to having you stay with us again and again!
Taylors
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Was part of a Navy Returning Warrior Workshop. Overall a decent facility, although older.

Many things went wrong, but staff was extremely accommodating to mitigate issues. A heating unit died, so the ballroom hallway / restrooms were freezing, since the weather stripping between the outside doors was worn away, so there was a draft. The staff put up a curtain across the doors at our suggestion, so that helped. Some of the food wait staff were very friendly, others seemed to have lost their pet and seemed unhappy to serve. In my room, 4 out of 5 dresser drawers would not open / shut properly due to worn or missing tracks. The maintenance man was extremely apologetic and came up immediately to attempt to fix it (it needed unavailable parts). I was also surprise of the lack of fit and finish as a few of the fixtures in my room were mounted crooked. The pool was outside and not open many months of the year. The view from my window was of a large container of construction materials, so it does seem they are trying to improve the place. The shower controls were opposite--move toward cold and you got scorched; and vice versa. This hotel does not seem up to Hilton standards. They also put a $50 hold each night for incidentals, and so my banking account had $100 lower available funds, even though I never used it. Make sure you use a credit card and not a debit (like I did) for this reason.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly, observant, and helpful. The ball room and conference facilities were very nice. The bed was super comfortable. I had forgotten a couple toiletries, they came up within minutes with free samples. Overall, a nice stay.

Dear Jaime T,
We are appreciative of the explicit feedback you gave us during your recent stay. I have shared your comments with our Banquets Captains and F&B Director to utilize your feedback as a training tool to better our customer service. I apologize for the construction that we are undergoing, but as you know, we are renovating to have a better product to offer our guests and to provide better amentities as well. We are in the process of putting a fridge and microwave in every Guest Room. We hope that you will stay with us in the future to experience the new renovations.
St. Louis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Good conference hotel with easy access to highway, eateries, and shopping. Older hotel but well maintained with ample staff. Executive lounge is useful for business travelers. The small bar in the lobby is nice. The onsite restaurant should be avoided.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Ronald M,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you found our location with easy access from the highway and that we are conveniently located to many shops and restaurants. We are glad you enjoyed the Concierge Lounge and our bar. Please note that our restaurant will be undergoing renovation soon and hope that you will visit us again to enjoy a fine dining experience. Our restaurant staff is second to none and know that we always strive to give above and beyond service. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Cornelius, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I celebrated my wedding weekend at the Hilton and it was awesome. The staff was always happy and helpful to me and my family. Emily, the wedding coordinator, made our life so easy when it came to planning the event. We used the Hospitality suite all weekend so that we could visit our family and that room was so nice. It was clean and spacious for all of us to be together. The food at breakfast every day was delicious. I loved being at the Hilton for my wedding weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Chelpadge,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experience you had at our property for your Wedding! Thank you for allowing us to make your day memorable! Our entire staff goes above and beyond to make your day special! I will be sure to share with Emily and the banquets team what a great job they all provided. We look forward to having you stay with us on your anniversary.

hpt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The exterior of this property is severely dated. The guestrooms, are being enhanced for what appears to be a major overhaul. The gym area is spacious, two TVs, a nice water machine, and newer equipment....although, one of the treadmills, will continuously........"auto-time" you out about every 30seconds, we had to push the button indicating someone was actually still using the machine, even after restarting AND selecting a program.

The pool area looked nice but since it was so cold we didn't use it....there is a man made pond/lake area that meshes the hotel property and with the Boardwalk property. It's a nice retreat. Birds can be feed with a pay feeder and there is a small area where kids can play on the slide, swing, climb, etc. The basement area seems to be FULL a lot of the time with a wide array of conferences, meetings, to Sweet16 parties. Parking can be & was crazy...the lot was FULL on many timeframes during this stay, which led to long walks in the cold after a long workday.

The breakfast area was small, awkard entrance, and not on the level of selection I am accustomed to obtaining from Hilton. There was no shuttle service offered, the
luggage racks were in short supply and difficult to locate by guests OR hotel staff. The computers are RIGHT by the door and those who tried to use them, were chilled frequently since the doors opened so widely and it was not hot during this stay :-)

On any floor past 9, you will need a keycard...for they are all EXEC levels.
Staying on an executive level one would think, access to the EXEC lounge would go hand in hand...but as you can see by the image attached......."this" property ONLY allows guests access Mon-Thurs........and 0600-1000ish on Friday. So if you plan to stay here over the w/end, unless protocol is updated, you will NOT have access to the lounge. It was mentioned to mgt, as a misleading practice, and one we were not pleased with at all........so THIS property would rather heat, furniture stock a room that for 50+hours out of the week.......is NOT user occupied?
We ONLY...........booked this property and the EXEC floors for the "perceived" ability to use the space.........quite disappointed to not even be "allowed" to step foot in it. Also, "the EXEC lounge" space does NOT have a typical guestcard slot. The door, has a traditional keyhole instead. #PuzzlingMgtDecicion

Finally, our guestroom provided a decent view of the Boardwalk with a nice bay window and large blackout curtains. The bathroom was small, as the door opened it banged the shower curtain railing and it was VERY hard to have two in the bathroom at the same time....#TightSpace Near the bed, the outlet was installed upside down and was loose..........I was concerned about plugging or removing any item to charge in that outlet...sparks were seen once....so we opted to use the one by the window instead.

I have stayed to two other Hilton properties in this region. Overall, for this region, I am guessing locals view it as "fine"......but we were left disappointed by this location.

Dear pky_pook,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We have addressed your concerns with management and will take them under consideration, as we are in the middle of a complete renovation of our property to offer a better product and better amentities. The next time you are in Charlotte, please feel free to contact me at 704-547-7444 x 7107 so I can put you in one of our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to serving you again soon.

The Hilton Charlotte University Place

Been to Hilton Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!