“loved everything, great hotel for family and our trip” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SeaLife Package
Ranked #17 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
charlotte
“loved everything, great hotel for family and our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

we stayed at the hilton for a sports tornament over the weekend. the staff was very proffesional and made us feel like part of the family. the restaurant staff and food was wonderful. the front desk was very helpful with any request. we will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I'm going to disagree with a lot of the other reviews in that I did not particularly like this hotel.

The bad:
- If you are tall, beware. I am not sure if it's like this in all rooms but in my room on the 7th floor, the shower ceiling was oddly low. I bumped the shower head with my hand while washing my hair... I'm 5'6". My 5'11" bf said he had to lean over to wash his hair, I can't imagine being over 6' in this hotel. If anyone else can chime in on this, please do. Was the shower strangely low in your room too?

- Crowds. This place was packed. It's one of those hotels that attracts large groups, it's a large hotel, of course. Weddings, reunions, softball teams, everything. In some large hotels, it doesn't bother me as much but the check-in area in this hotel is small and I had to actually ask a group of about 10 people to "excuse me" so I could just get to the desk. Also, kids were playing in the hall. One of them threw a shoe as I was walking down the hall. Kids do these things. If it bothers you, stay away.

- Parking. Being that it's a very busy hotel, yes, you will have to walk a good bit if you get to the hotel late. Tons of cars, buses and RV's that take up multiple spaces. It's just a very busy place.

- As stated below, the hallways were hot. I'm southern, I can deal with hot. This was definitely hot.

- Elevators. The review below confirms something I was wondering... if the elevators go out from time to time or if this was a rare occasion. No elevators on a Saturday morning with a packed hotel is a MESS. We carried our bags, luckily we pack lightly, down 7 floors. This would not be fun if you were traveling with a family or had heavy bags from a long trip.

- I, too, had problems with my key card. Just about every time I went to my room, it took 4 or 5 tries and one time, it wouldn't open at all. i had to call for help. I rack up at least 100 nights per year in hotels, it's not often that I can't get in my own room. In fact, I am in a hotel room as I write this review and I had no problem getting in my room.

(by the way, I have no affiliation with the review below, I just had some similar experiences which means that some of these problems need to be addressed if they are happening to multiple people at different times)

I did not have any food so no comment on that aspect of my stay

The good:
Close to the highway
Near a lot of shops and restaurants
If you are part of a large group, this hotel can accommodate you. This would be a good place for a reunion, overnight with a sports team, etc. It is not a place for a quiet, relaxing stay.

The staff was nice, no issues with them at all.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Rose Hill, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you like runny eggs and three day old pastries this place is for you. The food for breakfast and the pool bbq was horrible. The "pool" is little more than a 10X20 pond which might hold 20 people. Apparently, the hotel must be cutting back as well...no a/c in the hallways or stairwells. The room and elevator cards work after about 15 tries and two trips to the lobby to get them re-scanned. Speaking of elevators...for most of the stay only one worked. If you take your family, plan on spending tons of time around drunks celebrationing one of the 100 weddings/receptions going on on property. With all the weddings and such going on, good luck finding a parking spot within a 1/2 mile of the hotel. Do yourself a huge favor, book a room somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HiltonhotelGM, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. We did have a extremely busy weekend with a soccer tournament in town and had an unusually large amount of people in the hotel. We did have some technical difficulties with our elevators & key cards over the weekend and this has since been repaired. If you look at our other reviews you will see this is not the norm for our property. Our goal is to exceed our guest expectations and deliver more than that is expected. I would love to speak with you further about your stay please call me at your convienenance.

Thanks
David Glass
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

This is a beautiful Hilton property. The service was outstanding. I had arrived early and the staff went out of their way to get me in my upgraded room on the twelfth floor. The room was beautiful with a nice view of the Charlotte skyline in the distance. There is a nice little lake with a boardwalk around to stroll. I ate in the restaurant and had a wonderful steak at a surprisingly reasonable price. When I asked for the list of scotches in the bar, the bartender let me taste one I had never tried before buying a full drink. Glad I did because I didn't care for it as much as Glenlivet. Bed was very cozy, desk was spacious to work at, and really enjoyed the fresh blackberries at breakfast. Actually wished I could stay in town a little longer.

Rio de janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

The staff of the hotel was amazing.

I called them the day before my arrival talking about a package that will arrive for me but not with my name and they followed up with me every day to check if I got it, if everything was good.

The bed is just amazing and everything is really clean.

Even though just the ones in the executive floor are supposed to have access to breakfast in the morning and liquor at night, they don’t check your room number, so everyone can enjoy it.

Room Tip: Free breakfast and beer on the 11th floor
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had our wedding at your facility on April 29, 2011. It was a beautiful event. All my guest are still talking about how beautiful our wedding was and how much they really enjoyed themselves. I would like to thank the staff and a special thank you to Fontella Hicklin who went above and beyond our expectations. Thank you Fontella, keep doing what you do. May God continue to bless you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Full Marks from me for the Hilton Charlotte University. It is superbly located across the road from the UNCC campus next to a pretty manmade lake. The immediate area includes lots of restaurants, shops and amenities, making it a pleasant place for both work and play.

I received an upgrade to the Exec level, which obviously helps with this evaluation. The room there was spacious and very comfortable. The bed was excellent, the bathroowas spotless and chic and the view was really magnificent. I definitely enjoyed my stay a lot and would certainly say this is a top place to stay if you are looking for something in the area. Downtown is about 9 miles, or a $30 cab ride, so it's a bit far out if your main business will be in town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!