“No poolside cabanas” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Santa Monica
“No poolside cabanas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Ha ha. Actually my $49 got me a pretty fair deal here—a clean comfortable room, a good night’s sleep (with some help from my ear plugs), plus a refrigerator, microwave and color TV. The lobby had an attractive business center that WORKED and a free breakfast (though it was pretty much all carbs). The crowning grace was a free airport shuttle that leaves every half hour on the dot!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the freeway
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
carthage, nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We booked our park/fly/stay thru Buyreservations.com to stay at this econolodge. We were to leave arrive at the hotel saturday evening, fly out the next day. On saturday evening I called the hotel to let them know we were going to need a late check-in. "Sarah" at the front desk informed me that there was no reservation for us on the 5th (which was that day) but actually it was the 15th. I informed her it definitely was for today and I had the confirmation email in hand plus my credit card statement showing it had already been charged for 75 bucks back in december and this was now March. She said that's not what they showed and they had no rooms available anyway. I asked to speak to her manager and she said she would take my number and call me back. I told her I wanted to speak to him directly. She said "ok" and hung up. After half an hour and all of our stuff packed up and ready to go for a 2 week trip out to Brazil, I called her back. She informed me very rudely that she had not heard from him yet. I attempted to contact BuyReservations as well, but they were closed on the weekends and so was the EconoLodge corporate office. While I waited I faxed my confirmation email and credit card statement to the econo lodge that we were booked to "Sarah's" attention. She finally did call back and would not let me speak to the manager saying he had to work that night and needed to rest. To sum it up, we had to make a separate booking and pay for another place to park and stay that night. I called both BuyReservations and EconoLodge corporate office from Brazil the next tuesday. Econolodge apologized but said it was BuyReservations mistake. BuyReservations representative was not only rude and understanding at all, she AS WELL said it was econolodges mistake. No one owned up to their mistake and were the ones who paid for it with the inconvenience and stress. Buyreservations returned our money. My advice if you choose to use either sorry company, call both and confirm your reservation WELL BEFOREHAND because a confirmation email is a joke.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I had to stayed here with a few of my co workers and we were satisfied with our room. The staff was very nice and very helpful. I will stay here in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

lets see: toilet would not flush, when it did, it would keep running, heater smelled burnt when we tried to use it one chilly nite, fan in the unit rubbing the shroud so we couldn't stand the noise, alarm clock was broken, telephone in our room had another room's number, shower handle was not installed properly so the hot/cold were reversed, ran out of hot water twice in 5 days, the tv set welcomed us to the Fairfield Inn & Suites, but the sign says Econo lodge, our room key was continuously de-activated every day upon our return, ceiling texture in the bathroom was falling off due to the fact there was no exhaust fan, faucet for the sink leaked all over the counter when running water. this was JUST our room. In 5 days I NEVER saw or met anyone performing repairs or maintenance. BUT, it was clean, fresh towels/linens, staff was friendly, just a poorly maintained hotel. Freeway traffic can be annoying if on that side of the building, people upstairs can be noisy due to the fact there is no sound proofing/barriers, especially if people have lead feet or noisy communication skills, and flushing toilets throughout the nite. I honestly could NOT recommend this hotel based on my experience. Even a budget friendly hotel should have proper maintenance.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

The free shuttle picked us up 1/2 hour late and had no a/c. The driver then drove us to a Wal-Mart were she picked up a friend who needed a ride. There was no comforter on the bed (just two sheets and a blanket). The white walls were smudged. The shower was hot and the room was pretty quiet, and the breakfast was ok. Worked well for 1 night after a flight, but would not return.

Stayed July 2010
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

At the risk of sounding very biased, I will start my review by saying that the location is great - very close to the I-77, 85 and 485. Breakfast staff is very friendly and the food is great. The pool is large and clean.

However, as an earlier review stated, the rooms are filthy and disgusting beyond imagination. There was mold in the bathroom, dust an eighth-inch thick on fixtures, ants in the rooms, a hole in the wall, the door did not close all the way... The room was noisy, bed was uncomfortable.

My stay was a points redemption but I would not stay here again even if it was free. There are dozens of hotels nearby - pick any other.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Yes, I know you can't be too picky when it comes to a hotel like Econo Lodge but with all the good reviews on tripadvisor I thought it wold be ok. I told my husband the hotel staff must have gotten all their friends to post good reviews or something because this place was disgusting!!! My pics will show you our "lovely" room. When we first walked into the room it smelled like a dirty locker room. Not a good first impression. Then I walk into the vanity area and look at the faucet which was filty and chipped and corroded. The ceiling had a big water damage spot and had mold growing around the top of the wall. The bathroom was tiny (you had to move in between the tub and the toilet just to get the door closed) and the caulking around the toilet was black and moldy. The shower head was falling apart and disgusting. The toilet lid had dried urine on it. The chairs and ottoman were stained beyond belief. The floor looked as if it had not been vacuumed in months- trash and grass all over it. Then as we went to lay in bed we promptly roll to the middle because it sagged so much. Then the air conditioner made knocking noises all night, needless to say we did not get much sleep. As soon as we walked into the room we called the customer service line for choice hotels and they told us that since it was after 4:00 we could not cancel the reservation. I seriously thought about just leaving and not worrying about the $60 room charge but it was 11:00 and we were dead tired after spending all day at Discovery Place and shopping at the mall and I didn't feel like driving all over to find another hotel. I do have to say that the front desk person was nice and the breakfast was surprisingly very good

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!